• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

adding heated grips

B

bensonhurst

How big a job is it, to add heated grips to a bike that has never had them?

Depends what type of bike you are riding (and the style of handle bars it has).

My F650 and now my r1150r are what I know, so I'll talk based on my knowledge of them...

If you are looking to add BMW grips.... count on around $200 (give or take) for the parts (grips/controls) and a couple of hours of labor.

To save some cost you can either install them yourself and/or purchase some aftermarket sets.

Tech speaking, the wires for the BMW grips are to be routed THROUGH the bars and out a little hole... requiring more work and more swearing.

All in all, an aftermarket set will save money, time, and trouble... although if you are not familiar with removing controls/grips, it can be intimidating and time consuming the first time... but certainly not impossible.

I had to replace the bars on my F650 (with heated grips.). It took me a few hours (maybe 3 or 4) but it wasn't impossible. If you have a nice area to work and a decent set of tools....

-Xaque-

Maybe buy a used set from a bone yard? Or perhaps those aerostitch wrap arounds if you want to limit the extent of the project?

Bensonhurst said:
How big a job is it, to add heated grips to a bike that has never had them?

If your bike is an airhead GS,the loom on the bike is pretty much prewired. The grip kit comes with a few more wires/connectors that just plug right in.
Like a puzzle,just fit the parts and turn them on!

If you are the do it yourself type....

A few years ago I wanted heated grips but did not want to pay the BMW price. I found some resistance wire on the internet that I wraped under my stock grips. I then purchased the stock heated grip switch from BMW so the installation would look stock. The 95 GS had the rest of the wireing in the loom. Cheap but works great.

Jeff

Back