• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R Nine T Urban G/S

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
I kinda like this concept....Urban G/S-

Looks like it would be a fun around-town bike capable of surviving the "roads?" around here.

normal_36.jpg

The BMW R nineT Urban G/S.
Eye-catching. Powerful. Air-cooled.
Enjoy the confident feel of a boxer with an upright and relaxed riding position, coupled with modern technology. Choose from countless customizing options for your own unique ideas. The R nineT Urban G/S makes a clear statement: It pays tribute to the early days of BMW Motorrad's G/S success story. Just one look and it's clear that the R nineT Urban G/S captures the off-road spirit of that era. At the same time, its riding characteristics make it a true member of today's R nineT family. It reflects the way of life of that time: People knew where they wanted to go, and they knew exactly how they would get there.

More here- http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en...rbangs/rninet_urbangs_overview.html&notrack=1

OM

I agree, and I'm really glad that BMW have decided to give the Camhead engine a second life and done so in such a great Retro style (the only place I think it could compete and meet current and up coming EPA-EU emissions standards).

BMW now have five (5) offerings under their "Heritage" label, the R nineT is now joined by the R nineT Scrambler (which I've ridden and enjoyed), the R nineT Racer, R nineT Pure and R nineT Urban G/S.

The R nineT Racer even has an easily changeable rear sub-frame to aid/prompt owner customization.

I suspect part of the idea behind these models is to provide the consumer with ready-made niche bikes that have some of the cache and lure of the vintage bikes of yore without having to put up with the need to know how to work on them or have the space, time, etc. Many will bemoan that these folks aren't "real" motorcyclists, but that is way to narrow a view of the motorcycle community to have any credibility in my eyes. The fact that I've rebuilt my own engines in the past, can work on my bikes, have ridden for over 40 years, etc., does not mean the rider who goes in and buys a ready-made bike that only the dealer sees has any less enthusiasm for these great bikes, it just manifests itself differently.

Either way you look at it, for me I see it as a win-win for BMW and riders, and I'd love to have both an R nineT Racer and Urban G/S in the garage. ;-)

Great marketing! Multiple customization's of the same basic chassis has worked for Harley Davidson for years.

As was pointed out over on ADV, the Urban G/S has less suspension travel than practically everything. It barely beats the C650 scooters, and has less rear travel than the R nine T Scrambler.

So, no curb jumping at Starbucks?! :scratch
Well, not at speed.;)

These "Heritage" bikes are all definitely geared toward the Modern Urban rider, with the possible exception of the R nineT Racer which may work well as a back-road relaxed but spirited ride with a bit of nostalgia.

That being said, we all perhaps tend to look a bit too much toward purpose-built bikes now that there are ones for every type of activity that are so extremely capable.

I'm old enough that I have pictures of friends (older and most passed away now) who used to scramble their H-Ds and Velocettes through fields and streams with no or little change from stock. It took a lot of skill to even do one lap.

One of the most enjoyable races I ever watched was in the very late 60's in a farmer's field on a steep slope that had been bulldozed to create a scramble/motocross track for the weekend. I met a fellow who was driving by with a bike on a trailer and saw what was going on. He dropped by to take a look and I convinced him that if we changed his pre-load, put heavier oil in his forks, etc., that he could have fun running his 650 Bonneville Flat-Tracker against the group of 350-450 Husqvarnas and Bultacos. Talk about entertaining to watch and he still couldn't get the smile off his face or the dirt off his bike by the end of the day when he left. Did he win any races? No, but he did podium once and the rooster-tails he kicked up and sound that bike made going up than long hill before the jump were absolutely spectacular. ;-)

Back