• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Helibar risers?

Stebe

Hello fellow Wetheads! (sounds like a Jerry Garcia following:) )

I am new to BMW, see my intro on New Members page, and have been looking through these threads and found much good advice so far. My new ride is a r1200rt, 2016. I've purchased the Z-Technik engine guards, largely based on what I've read here, and am very happy with them. I also got the Ilium passenger floorboard for my wife, and I thought Harley parts were expensive! Wow! After shopping around on-line, and reading what the forum members have had to say, I'm pretty well convinced that a Russel Day Long seat is in our future, too. The rider seats not too bad, but the passenger seat is far too wide for my wife's derrierre, leaves her sliding around back there. That's not good, as she is then nervous, which translates into less riding "flow". We'll get better.

What I'd like to ask today is if anyone's tried the helibar risers? These seem to be the only viable option on the market, and in skimming through the threads here I find very little mention of them. (I may just have missed it) If you've installed these I'd like to know what you think of them, how was the installation process, etc.

Thanks!

I used the Ilium bar risers. They do add a different "look" but blend in nicely. Check out their web site. If you decide on purchasing them, be sure to rent the installing tool. Makes the job go very easily.

Thanks! I'd checked the Ilium site a few times and missed those. They look more like what I imagined I would do to solve it, so I like that.

A further question; did you feel they affected handling? Any feeling of vagueness or lack of contact? Subjective, I know.

I've been using the Ilium bar risers for over a year and I don't feel they effected handling at all except to make the bike much more comfortable. Great product and like said before definitely rent the install tool. Very easy install.

My comment on handlebar bar backs is in here: http://bmwdean.com/r1200rtw.htm

bar-backs.jpg

Helibar Risers worked for me

I have a 2015 RT and had the same concerns you had before purchasing the Helibars (vs. the Illum Works version). I've had mine on for several months now and am really happy with them. They definitely help put you in a more comfortable riding position and I haven't noticed anything negative about them or the way the bike handles. Other than putting you (the rider) in a more upright position, they won't change the bike at all. BTW, if you go with the Helibar version like I did, you don't have to worry about sending the handlebar removal tool back after installation like the Illum Works version....to me, the Illum works handlebar removal process is over-engineered; the simple solution Helibars came up with works just fine and you keep the tool. Either version of bar risers should work fine though...again, I'm very happy with mine.

P.S. You need a #8 Torx screwdriver to remove the control housing next to your throttle.

I opted for the Ilium Works set-up. Since I live in overseas I did not order the removal tool and found I did not need it. On one side I used a heat gun, as described in the installation instructions, to slide off the original bar, on the other side it came off unassisted. I found it to be an easy job, made simpler by the video they have posted, and am quite happy with the improved handlebar position.

I ended up ordering the ilium bar backs, renting the tool, awaiting the package. Thank you all who have responded, it helps.

I guess a good approach is to compare adjust-ability and overall change to bar placement. The Helibars seem to place the bars and therefore the grips wider than the Illium bars.

Product Description
HeliBars® Replacement Handlebars and Risers for the BMW R1200RT LC (all years from 2014)
1 3/4” (44.5mm) Taller** (compared to original position)
1 1/4” (32mm) Rearward** (compared to original position)
2” (50mm) Wider** (compared to original position)

Having said that - I think I like the looks of the Helibars better.

:)

Ilium Bar Riser Tool - for Canadians

Some posters were commenting on Ilium bar risers. I was concerned about the need for a tool rental and return so I sent an email to them. I have received an excellent reply and thought you might like to see it:

Hello Ed,

Yes the installation tool rental can be challenging when in Canada. The tool itself weighs 4 pounds which makes shipping about $45.00 each way via USPS.

We originally used a heat gun on our bike, but we found that depending on how much powder coat was applied to the handle bars caused us to develop the handle bar removal tool after a customer or two bent bolts.

A dealer will probable charge you an hour to install these. You can see by our installation video that this job can be done within ½ hour.

We will be in Salt Lake City. Installation will be no more than $50.00 to install a set of 30-500. Tool rentals at the show will be the same. $15.00 for rental and $125.00 core charge.

Shipping just the set of 30-500 bar backs to Canada will be $30.00.

I hope that this helps?
Kind regards,
Ron

I have told them I will seek them out at the SLC Rally. I thought the info might be of interest to my fellow Canadians who would like risers.

Taking my time the installation took about an hour, went smoothly. I've got the flu, and it was snowing yesterday, but sitting on the bike I'm thinking I really like the feel of the positioning. I have to admit to liking the looks of the heli-bar risers more, but the price difference will fill the tank several times over. I also bought the Wunderlich luggage rack, which I'll probably put on today. All that's left now is talking with the RDL folks. Looking forward to riding 2017!

Picture of Heli-bars R1200RT

Here is a look what they look like on bike.
Easy install, Stock bar removal tool came with new bars. U get to keep it. For what I don't know?

Attachments

• DSCN2880.jpg
    DSCN2880.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 439
I am thinking of installing the Helibar risers on my 2018 RT. In some pictures, it appears that the raised bars might block the view of the dash/gauges or mirrors. Anyone have any issues with this? I have a Sergeant Seat installed on the lower of the two settings. It is the same height as the original seat on the lower setting.Thanks.

I have Ilium bar backs on my 2017 R1200RT and 2018 R1250RT.

They work fine. No problems blocking the view of any instruments.

bar-backs.jpg

I used the Ilium bar risers. They do add a different "look" but blend in nicely. Check out their web site. If you decide on purchasing them, be sure to rent the installing tool. Makes the job go very easily.

I will second the recommendation or these, I purchased them mainly to add a ramtec cup holder to the bike, needed them for clearance. Also I can reach the little glove boxes now and trigger the remote to open the gates at work, still a tight fit but I do have very large paws.

Back