Thread: 2016 Best and Worst Drivers by State

2016 Best and Worst Drivers by State

The Best and Worst Drivers by State
    best-worst-drivers-usa-map.jpeg

Kansas ranks in at lucky number 13, and I'm surprised we weren't worse.
    ~Jason

RK Ryder
    #1 Utah!
    Guess that's why we're off to Salt Lake City next July. We'll be riding in the safest driving state in the US!
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Niagara Riders #298 & Knights of the Roundel #333

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    #1 Utah!
    Guess that's why we're off to Salt Lake City next July. We'll be riding in the safest driving state in the US!
    I suppose that's tongue in cheek. Being #1 in this case isn't a good thing!
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    No way the drivers in this state rank that good, especially with all the retirees from other states. Something about these rankings doesn't add up at first blush.

It opens up the possibility of long distance rides that focus on scores based on these rankings. A high risk coast-to-coast ride in which the rider hits the riskiest states, or, a safety-first ride in which the rider tries to get as low of a score as possible.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

After reading the article I think they assigned a confusing ranking, backwards in my opinion.

#1(dark green) is assigned to the worst drivers, #50(light green) to the best.

From that viewpoint, it matches my opinion after a trip through Virginia (#3) on Thanksgiving weekend. In spite of many signs saying "Slower traffic keep right", and open right lanes, multitudes were cruising in the left lane 3-5 mph below the limit, 10-15 vehicles stacked up behind them. Trying to merge onto the freeway, cars were obviously matching our speed keep us out of the lane. Not a place I wish to revisit.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

My data is old, (like me) but in 1986 we relocated from #46 to #9. I agree with the depiction, but believe the number 9 rating may in part be a result of some of those crazy Canadians invading our roads. Just sayin'!

Bill Johnston

New Jersey number 19? I would believe 49...

This study is fubar.

Harry

Vehicles and drivers contribute to rank

Now I know why riding in Utah scares me so much.

The next study should go further and identify the vehicles and drivers that contributed to their rank. Here's my opinion...
    #1 Toyota Prius - geriatric drivers (I always drive the left lane and change lanes unexpectedly)
    #2 Audi - Millennials driving Daddy's car (oh, and cell phone in hand)
    #3 Subaru - Gen X granola types (saving our planet driving slower and saving a drop of gas)
    #4 Dodge RAM 4x4 - Gen X country boys (my truck's so high I can't see anyone)
    #5 PT Cruiser with faux wood paneling - seniors who refuse think old (playing "I'm so sexy")
    #6 Any model sedan pre 1980 - Meth heads looking for their next score (multiple dents and previous repairs are indicators)
    #7 Honda Pilot - Professional outdoorsy wanna be types (generally have REI sticker in rear window)
    #8 Mini van - Parent more concern about what's going on in back than driving (Have family sticker with cats & dogs on rear window)
    #9 Any compact pickup truck pre 1990 - Poor ex-hippie farmer (hunched over front wheel oblivious to traffic)
    #10 Mercedes - Professional doctor or lawyer or exec (I've got money and you can't touch me)

By the way the order can change depending on weather, traffic conditions, road conditions, different drivers than indicated and/or holidays or all of the above.
    -don
    "If you don't treat yourself right, no one else will."
    '06 R1200RT, '13 F800GS, and '16 R1200GSA (wife's)

Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    New Jersey number 19? I would believe 49...

This study is fubar.

Harry

Harry, Having driven in NJ I can only assume you think the state should be ranked among the worst. In this case 19 is much worse than 49. It's designed to confuse.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Harry, Having driven in NJ I can only assume you think the state should be ranked among the worst. In this case 19 is much worse than 49. It's designed to confuse.
    I guess I am confused, but not about NJ drivers...I have driven there, and also have encountered them on NY roads...not the best for sure.

Harry

Thumbs up

All I can say, after having ridden my motorcycle in all 48 contiguous states in the last 2 years (especially FL and CA), is that the ratings, from worst-to-best seem spot on.
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF Lead RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle/High Performance/Teen/Winter/ATV Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Track