Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: R1150RT Hannigan Trike Conversion ??

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    202

    R1150RT Hannigan Trike Conversion ??

    I am seriously considering making this conversion. I have a 2003 1150RT and I am not getting any younger. Can anyone with experience advise me, good or bad.?

    Thanks
    Rod

  2. #2
    Curmudgeon At Large Bobmws's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Astatula, FL
    Posts
    1,295
    No direct experience, but I would suggest you find a S/TEP training class to understand the difference in handling. I took this course when I first added a sidecar and the majority of the group were in trikes. The class offered smaller (250cc) trikes for those who didn't have their own.
    As for Hannigan, I'm very pleased with their product.
    Dollar-wise you may want to shop for a completed trike as opposed to converting you bike.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    202
    Bob, thanks for the input. I am looking for a class. I got a chance to ride the Hannigan K1600 Trike at the RA Rally in Harrison, AR, but just around the infield there. I never got out of second gear.

    I have done some searches on line and completed rigs, even used, are as expensive as a small car! High 20's into to the 30K range. I can convert mine for about 11K. Besides I know how to work on it. I also don't have garage room for an additional Motorcycle.

    Rod

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    WC Indiana
    Posts
    905
    Quote Originally Posted by rkildu View Post
    Bob, thanks for the input. I am looking for a class. I got a chance to ride the Hannigan K1600 Trike at the RA Rally in Harrison, AR, but just around the infield there. I never got out of second gear.

    I have done some searches on line and completed rigs, even used, are as expensive as a small car! High 20's into to the 30K range. I can convert mine for about 11K. Besides I know how to work on it. I also don't have garage room for an additional Motorcycle.

    Rod
    2004RT with a Hannigan kit on it in the Louisville, KY craigslist

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    202
    Darkcloud,

    I went looking but I cannot find it there. There was a K1200 Hannigan, but still over my budget.

    Rod

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    WC Indiana
    Posts
    905
    Quote Originally Posted by rkildu View Post
    Darkcloud,

    I went looking but I cannot find it there. There was a K1200 Hannigan, but still over my budget.

    Rod
    My mistake, its a 2004 RTL with a 2013 Hannigan side car on it.

  7. #7
    Registered User lkraus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    1,213
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    202
    Ah, mystery solved.

    Unfortunately Mama says no sidecar. I think she saw too many Keystone Cops films back in the day. Anyway, I think I prefer a trike myself.

    Rod

  9. #9
    Registered User GTRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nibley, UT USA
    Posts
    596
    Quote Originally Posted by rkildu View Post
    Ah, mystery solved.

    Unfortunately Mama says no sidecar. I think she saw too many Keystone Cops films back in the day. Anyway, I think I prefer a trike myself.
    You might consider having Mama take a test ride in a sidecar, from someone near you who is a sidecarist--she might change her mind. I say that because age can increase the difficulty of mounting/dismounting for passengers, much like it can make it increasingly more difficult for the pilot to keep a two-wheeler upright. Mama might gain an appreciation for the seating comfort and weather protection offered by the sidecar, as well as her own unobstructed view of the road ahead. I know my wife and I travel far more miles every year in the S/C rig than we ever did two-up, some of them in cold/wet weather that would have had her turning down a two-up trip. Just another factor to consider if you are looking at a vehicle change to help extend your travel future.

    Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST -- 1988 R100GS "Bee"-- 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C -- 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •