• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1200R Low Seat

swall

I've been thinking about replacing my standard height seat on my '07 R1200R. Can someone help me with the part number for the low seat?

Swall, I recommend you do all that you can to test ride a bike with the low seat mounted before spending any money. Annie's R12R came with a low seat. She did not need it because she has a 34 inch inseam, but I rode with it mounted a few times; very uncomfortable. You are forced to sit in a trough with steep slopes front and rear. The trough itself is very sparsely padded and it restricts your movement. Your impression may vary, but I thought it was like a medieval torture device.

I also recommend you look for a used seat on eBay or SearchTemp (national search engine). Or, there are several people online that will modify your OEM seat.

I had just the opposite experience as Kevin/AKBeemer.. I found out of several seats I tried, the low seat was the most comfortable, once broken in (which takes > 1,000 miles.) I suspect a lot depends on your butt shape and weight. The stock "Comfort" seat didn't work for me. The normal height seat tended to push me toward the tank. I'm currently using a BMW low seat - modified and recovered by Sargent, along with a Freedom-Aire air-cushion. I have something > 100k miles on this setup, so I guess it works for me.

I had just the opposite experience as Kevin/AKBeemer.. I found out of several seats I tried, the low seat was the most comfortable, once broken in (which takes > 1,000 miles.) I suspect a lot depends on your butt shape and weight. The stock "Comfort" seat didn't work for me. The normal height seat tended to push me toward the tank. I'm currently using a BMW low seat - modified and recovered by Sargent, along with a Freedom-Aire air-cushion. I have something > 100k miles on this setup, so I guess it works for me.

First time i hear of Freedom-Aire cushions, and you must be happy with it. So far, the Airhawk seam to dominate the market. Can you compare the two? And have you ever considered to have it built in the seat, as under the seat cover? Would like to talk to an upholster about that possibility.

Swall, I recommend you do all that you can to test ride a bike with the low seat mounted before spending any money. Annie's R12R came with a low seat. She did not need it because she has a 34 inch inseam, but I rode with it mounted a few times; very uncomfortable. You are forced to sit in a trough with steep slopes front and rear. The trough itself is very sparsely padded and it restricts your movement. Your impression may vary, but I thought it was like a medieval torture device.

I also recommend you look for a used seat on eBay or SearchTemp (national search engine). Or, there are several people online that will modify your OEM seat.

+1 for akbeemer's recommendation. I have a RT, so seats may be different, but the extra low seat is rather uncomfortable, since i am stuck in that particular riding position. Not exactly a medieval torture device, just fine for a half day ride, but not suitable for a 700 miles/day ride.

I've ridden with the standard seat now for 9 years and got along just fine. I purchased a pair of Darien pants a couple of years ago and the heavy fabric tends to form my legs into a bow legged posture that is just enough to make it a little harder to touch the ground (I have a 29" inseam). This has caused some issues like having a foot slide out if there are small pebbles on the pavement. I would use the low seat for short rides, but put the standard seat on for long trips. So. rebuilding the seat does not fit with this scenario. Thanks to all that responder; you gave me the needed info.

Try the Alaska sheep skin, it seem to make it cooler in the summertime and warmer in the wintertime. It works for me.:wave

First time i hear of Freedom-Aire cushions, and you must be happy with it. So far, the Airhawk seam to dominate the market. Can you compare the two? And have you ever considered to have it built in the seat, as under the seat cover? Would like to talk to an upholster about that possibility.

Freedom-Aire was a spinoff of Airhawk (who was a spinoff of some other company) - they all make medical cushions used for people who are basically immobile so they don't develop bed sores. That's where the technology came from. When Freedom-Aire was introduced they were the first company with a shape that takes into account the male anatomy - ie - room for the boys. I found the Airhawk extremely painful on an R1150RS where the seat sloped toward the fuel tank. The Freedom-Air cured that pain. Airhawk must have taken notice since they have since introduced several shape cushions that take that into account. I guess competition improved the breed so to speak.

I've thought about having it built into the seat - but I think the seat vinyl would be too stiff and probably won't conform as well to the contours of ones posterior as the basic cushion on top of the vinyl does. It's not a pretty solution, but I'm very much a function over form sort of person so as long as it works (and I've ridden from NJ to CA to NJ with it - and no pain) it's fine with me.

Back