• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Remapping when adding Akrapovic exhaust tip

Or deliberate engineering to make noise because some people pay extra money to have loud motorcycles. Which is almost always, of course, a violation of Federal law but who cares - it is almost never enforced. Ask the clowns that equipped the Oakland, CA police department with unlawful aftermarket loud pipes for their Harleys.

Most state laws specify something like 82~84dB at 50-ft for speeds less than 35mph. At higher speeds the allowable noise levels are higher since tire noise dominates, especially for multi axial commercial vehicles. But, for the Sorry Sot biker producing that allowable level at 50-ft, he/she is sitting on a 106~107 db speaker. According to OSHA, hearing damage will occur after 15-minutes of exposure to those levels.

Most state laws specify something like 82~84dB at 50-ft for speeds less than 35mph. At higher speeds the allowable noise levels are higher since tire noise dominates, especially for multi axial commercial vehicles. But, for the Sorry Sot biker producing that allowable level at 50-ft, he/she is sitting on a 106~107 db speaker. According to OSHA, hearing damage will occur after 15-minutes of exposure to those levels.

And Federal regulations require that exhaust systems be certified for sound and emissions and stamped with the USDOT embossing. Will somebody check their aftermarket exhaust and post a picture of that DOT approval please?

I just love the "For Off Road Use Only" exhausts on Harley baggers. Sheesh! :banghead

To each their own. To me, engine/exhaust noise is an unfortunate by-product of Internal Combustion Engine propulsion. Any sound level above the absolute minimum is the result of poor engineering.

I like quiet motorcycles, but the sound of a Mustang with the Coyote engine and performance exhaust makes both me and Debbie smile every time :)
Can't help it, it's a 60s thing :)

I like the sound of a Harley with a very mild, fairly quiet aftermarket exhaust, but a Harley with straight pipes is very irritating.

I might enjoy my RT with a little more scream to the exhaust. On the other hand I like that it performs well and is fairly quiet.

My last Harley I put in a set of cams, aftermarket head pipe and mufflers with straight through baffles. It was ok, but it wasn't long until the stock mufflers went back on and re-tuned. It was a bit loud for my liking when rolling down the highway all day.

If I want to hear a sweet sounding engine I just take out my Yamaha R1 with it's Graves Titanium exhaust and straight through can and beat on it for a while. I love the sound of a wrung out 4 cylinder motorcycle. I don't mind the loud exhaust on the R1 because I don't ride it for hours at a time.

I installed the Akropovic on my '15 RT. Bike didn't feel nearly as peppy in the low-mid range. Swapped the stock pipe back after a week or so and been happy ever since.

IMHO it's a giant waste of money. But I did make friends with the guy I sold it too, so it wasn't a total loss.

interesting

Interesting discussion all the way around. I found the humor in the discussions that involved the Harleys for sure. One of the best sounding bikes I have heard recently was the R ninet going up a mountain road at speed. It was via a you tube video and was recorded in Austria from a stock motorcycle.

At least one person commented on quiet bikes. My trade in for my BMW has over 235,000 miles on it, I can attest to the value of a quiet motorcycle on long rides. That louder sound is nice going up and down mountain roads for an afternoon but imagine spending 10 to 15 hours listening to it at a steady speed while going cross country.

My longest day mileage wise put in a bit over 1300 miles, Wisconsin to Texas coming home from a bike rally. I would say you know yourself better than anyone else and you put together what makes you happy.

For me it is quiet exhaust and loud stereo.

Back