• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Replacing New Style ESA shocks?

40,000 for a shock? Maybe this is the chebbie experience.

Have owned Mercedes for a number of years, and the expectation is more like 100,000 miles. And, if one starts to leak, you replace the one that leaks, not pairs and not all four.

It's a pretty cool trick that BMW can produce a police bike and then sell it on to well-heeled customers using some fairly simple add-ons like electronic shocks.

The world of liability that BMW sees with motorcycles is astounding, and anything that makes it easier for an owner to configure his/her motorcycle properly for the load carried and for the type of riding anticipated is a good thing. Little buttons and dashboard icons are easier than wrenches taken out from under the seat or getting an air compressor connected.

Have owned Mercedes for a number of years, and the expectation is more like 100,000 miles. And, if one starts to leak, you replace the one that leaks, not pairs and not all four.

The folks at Bavarian Autosport, up in NH, say to replace BMW Car shocks in pairs.

From the Bavarian Auto website.........

"Looking for BMW parts or MINI parts? You've found our BMW Shocks - Sachs shocks page.

Order online or by phone at 800-535-2002. If you like the BMW factory ride, you'll love Boge BMW shock absorbers. Boge shocks have been original equipment on BMWs for over 30 years. Their Automatic BMW shocks and struts are replacement shocks that give you that famous BMW factory ride. For tougher driving conditions we recommend Boge's low-pressure gas shocks. NOTE: BMW Shocks should be replaced in pairs. "

40,000 for a shock? Maybe this is the chebbie experience.

The 40,000 mile figure comes straight off the pages of this forum, and has been repeated endlessly by various members. I find it dismaying that, as you say, car shocks carrying many times the weight that our bikes do, seem to last many times longer. But I have accepted the fact that if you pay $25,000+ for a new BMW motorcycle, and ride it around 10,000 miles a year, by the time you have paid the bike off, you will need to chip in roughly $1,600 for two new shocks.

you will need to chip in roughly $1,600 for two new shocks.

While the price has increased, I can say that I replaced/upgraded the suspension on my prior two "new" bikes, a 1986 K75c and 1999 R1100RS at about 20~25,000 miles.

But, that's just me. I'm your typical "money-is-no-object" gadfly that buys a bike every 13 or 17-yrs.

Back