Thread: 1976 R90S fairing removal

1976 R90S fairing removal

I need to remove fairing for new paint job after side stand failed. Do I need to remove turn signals to get fairing off? Any pics or suggestions?

Welcome to the forum! From some pictures/drawings I've seen, the signals must be removed since wiring goes out to the bulb. There are inside and outside washers/bushings, etc., that also must be removed.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Been awhile since I sold my R90S, but if I remember right it took only about 30 minutes to remove it. This link may help. http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...equest.506422/

From my memory. Disconnect the wires to the clock and volt meter in the back. Remove the headlight and disconnect the turn signal wires. Loosen the turn signal mounting bolt near the end of the post by the signal body. Remove the signal by pulling it from the posts. Remove the bolts securing the fairing, slide it one way to clear one turn signal post, then the other way. I may have forgotten something, it has been ten years since I sold the bike.
    Last edited by toooldtocare; 11-30-2016 at 10:20 PM.

Nutfarm
    Remove the lenses and the reflector will drop out. There's a compression spring that holds the wire to the back of the reflector. Back off the two screws on the bracket that holds the signal housing on the support and slide the housing off. There should be two metal cups, one on each side of the grommet. the one with the slot goes on the inside. You'll need to flex the faring some to get it over the TS housing supports.

Quote Originally Posted by 47512 View Post
    Remove the lenses and the reflector will drop out. There's a compression spring that holds the wire to the back of the reflector. Back off the two screws on the bracket that holds the signal housing on the support and slide the housing off. There should be two metal cups, one on each side of the grommet. the one with the slot goes on the inside. You'll need to flex the faring some to get it over the TS housing supports.
    A memory is a terrible thing to waste, now that you mentioned it, I think this may be what I did too....it was ten years ago. Either way, it is a simple process to remove the fairing. Thanks for the memory jog.

Wayne