• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wildfires in the Smokies and SE

henzilla

not so retired
Staff member
Thoughts and hopes for those affected by all the wildfires in the SE, and the Smokies. Some tough going this week. Hope our members in the areas are safe.

Sounds like Gatlinburg was in the path as well as Dollywood complex. Rocky Mt Nat Park closed " indefinitely".

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-as-flames-lick-roads/?utm_term=.6d6a3185bbba

We hear about the Western wildfires yearly and expect them. Never good, but predictable.
Seeing these in some areas we have ridden thru in the East is shocking and I am assuming historic? Do not recall so many eastern fires covered on the news.
I know we have some woodlands fire fighters here...what say:dunno

The woods are DRY. My pastures are gone. 200 year old trees are dying. The southeast is in a drought that is record breaking for the number of years it has been going on.

OK simple statements for sure and there is a simple cause for sure for the fires. Here in northwest Georgia we have had NO rain for 68 days and 1 1/2" since May, and that was a 10 minute downpour that ran off faster than it came. The cause for the fires is the same in the west, lightning strikes, spontaneous combustion, and of course man. We have been feeding hay since July instead of long about now. The price of hay has risen from $30 dollars or so for a round bale to now in the 70's.

Now is the time to stock up your freezers if you eat beef. The cattle fellas are selling off their herds and some are having to get rid of their mommas. This of course will in winter begin to effect the price at the grocery store. We bought a feeder calf the other day that we will grow out in a 120 day program for 80 cents per pound.

The smoke from the fires up by Helen and to the north of there, 60 miles away, brought vision down to less than a 1/4 of a mile for several days last week. Our land is in the Chatahoochee National Forest and the feds and state, through the county have a MANDATORY 6 month and $1000 fine for any kind of open fire or dumping of ashes.

Climate change, global warming, man caused changes, THE APOCALYSE??????????????

Dennis,
Sounds like you are describing TX the last 8 years as well. Finally got some relief, but ranchers definitely took some hits. Having to buy hay just seems wrong.
We see century old oaks dead in areas that changed the landscape.And two huge fires in the Lost Pines area east of Austin also changed the landscape and peoples lives.One massive grassland/juniper wildfire was upwind and too close to us a few summers back.Could smell and see the smoke as well as the glow at night until they got it controlled.
Just sad seeing folks hurting already, hurting even more now. See some rain in the Gatlinburg area today...hope its helping.

I just checked with Dan Dickie at GSMotorent in Townsend. Dan says they are OK but Gatlinburg got hit big time. I knew about Gatlinburg and was worried about Townsend since it is only about 20 miles away.

We spent Thanksgiving in Dillard, GA and we experienced several areas where there were fires and smoke in the mountains. The motel we stayed in had several firefighters from all over the country staying there. The few I spoke to said most of the smoke in Dillard was from controlled burns, and that most of that area was under control. Also, I was told most of the fires were set intentionally...just can't get my mind around why anyone would do that. My riding jacket smells like smoke! It was 16 degrees at certain places in the mountains Sunday morning when we left :eek...thank goodness for Gerbings!

Yeah Darlin the smoke in the jacket is lousy; but maybe it brings back goooood memories of that Dillard House cookin................:wave

Back