• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

The New BMW G 310 GS Thread~

Still using a very clean 89 Honda Transalp as my around town and fire road bike. The 310 GS looks like a suitable successor. (The TA has only about 40 rwhp but nice upright Japanese ergos typical of the era)

GS "Smalls"

I am curious about something. Will the purchasers of the G310 GS be allowed to hang out with the GS GIANTS, or will they have to form their own group called the GS dwarfs, midgets or something appropriate for smaller stature ? :D

I would DARE say it's not a DWARF! I started a group on facebook already for them and called them the GS Smalls!

I have a deposit down and am waiting for the first one from Irv Seaver in CA!

Invite them to visit our forum please. I love that you can easily access information and threads here. I appreciate both FB and our very informative forum!

Voni
sMiling and waiting for our GS's

Finally listed on Canadian BMW Motorrad site [video]http://www.bmw-motorrad.ca[/video].

Nice to see they are calling out a minimum octane rating of 91 RON. In Canada and the USA our pumps show the average of RON and MON (MON+RON)/2= AKI. Since we don't know the MON in this case (somewhat lower than RON by a large single digit) I am guessing the minimum expressed in AKI will be somewhere close to 87 which is 'regular' fuel at our pumps. :dance

Very affordable (along with high claimed fuel economy) for anyone doing a lot of riding.

Fuel management would be a possible concern for some as 2.9 gal is an adventure in the making.:whistle

Spoken from learning the same tank capacity on our KTM Duke 390 and less than 200 mile range...fuel often would be my words of wisdom. The 310 no doubt gets a bit more economy on fuel than the 390...but...:dunno

I just got back from the Calgary Motorcycle Show where I spoke to the BMW Motorrad Canada folks about the G310GS. Even though the guide handed out at the show said the bike would be there, it was not. I inquired as to when it would arrive in Canada and first they said 'fall' 2017 since it was considered a 2018 model but then dug into their printed handout which stated 'summer' 2017. I pushed more and fortunately a rep from our local dealer came by and said that if I put a deposit down he would tell me 'this August'. As to price they were very non-committal mentioning the 'R' version was priced at $5250 CAD MSRP and that this one would be 'around $1000 CAD more'. Dunno but $6250 is not the price one would expect for a 300cc entry level 'world bike' made for the masses in India. I would really hope they would price it under $6000 CAD but time will tell.

Kind of a strange experience as they dismissively said "you know this is not a bike to ride off road with", and "there are far better bikes for that". Heck I went off-roading with my Honda 90 in the '70s. It was almost as if they were pushing me away from the bike to the big GS - even though, explained I was thinking of using it to ride gravel and dirt roads such as our local 'Forestry Trunk Roads and to travel to and from them.

Glad I have other sources for information such as this forum.

Thanks for your updated information. We are waiting. Almost patiently.

Come on Summer 2017!

August is not summer.

Voni
sMiling

Some dealers, with a 1200 on the floor, might say anything about a 310 to try to sell the unsold 1200. Just be fully aware of who is speaking to you. If you trust them with your money, OK. If not, buyer beware.

p.s. I absolutely trust the dealer I deal with.
p.p.s. When I said I wanted two 310s they did not try to sell me 1200s.

A $1000 price difference sure seems a big leap as looking at models doesn't show major differences like a GS vs. GSA

p.p.s. When I said I wanted two 310s they did not try to sell me 1200s.

Yeah, I think you demonstrated you really wanted that particular model of bike. My experience with this Dealer (I have purchased four bikes from them in the last eight years) is requiring a minimum of $1000 deposit. I don't want to strand that cash till Fall should they deliver even later and I have no real riding opportunity this year. Not their problem, just mine. As I have seen you write - you pays your money and takes your chances. :)

Yeah, I think you demonstrated you really wanted that particular model of bike. My experience with this Dealer (I have purchased four bikes from them in the last eight years) is requiring a minimum of $1000 deposit. I don't want to strand that cash till Fall should they deliver even later and I have no real riding opportunity this year. Not their problem, just mine. As I have seen you write - you pays your money and takes your chances. :)

Ken, I have two in line as #1 and #2 they have from BMW Mororrad USA. One must be RED. Zero down. That is what several new and several used bikes since 1984 will get you. I have bought 1.9 million miles worth of parts in the past 33 years from them. Dealership loyalty does mean something. When I tell them I want two 310s they simply believe me. YMMV. And they will deliver when they can. Engle Motors. Kansas City. My dealer, even if I do live 1100 miles away in Texas.

High Tariff Proposed

If you live in the US and are into small imported bikes from the EU you may wish to weigh into this.

"The Office of United States Trade Representative requested comments on Dec. 28 regarding its proposal to include tariffs on motorcycles imported from the European Union with an engine size between 51cc and 500cc in the E.U. – U.S. beef hormone trade dispute. The deadline to submit comments is Jan. 30.

The American Motorcyclist Association opposes the proposed tariff, because trade disputes residing within the boundaries of the agricultural industry should not be solved with trade sanctions levied against non-agricultural products.

Specifically, a 100 percent, or higher, tariff on these motorcycles is proposed. This will cause serious and potentially irreversible harm to American small- and medium-sized business owners selling the vehicles. Additionally, consumers will be denied access to certain models of competition and recreational motorcycles that contribute to the lifestyle and wellbeing of millions of American families.

Manufacturers that will be impacted: 1) Aprilla; 2) Beta; 3) BMW; 4) Ducati; 5) Fantic; 6) Gas Gas; 7) Husqvarna; 9) KTM; 10) Montesa; 11) Piaggio; 12) Scorpa; 13) Sherco; 14) TM; and 15) Vespa."

See:
https://cqrcengage.com/amacycle/app/act-on-a-regulation?0&engagementId=275833

Thanks for your updated information. We are waiting. Almost patiently.

Come on Summer 2017!

I saw a post on the R1200RS forum where the press had a group of 310R and at least 1 310GS for a few days last week at the Rock Store.
One of the guys was able to take a test ride on the 310GS.

Woolf said:
I got to ride the G310GS on MULHOLLAND HWY and have to say it was GREAT FUN the bike is a great
addition to the BMW lineup , the INTERNATIONAL PRESS RELEASE was held a the Rock Store , it was 4 days of fun with all the PRESS

gs.jpg

310.jpg

Last edited:
If you live in the US and are into small imported bikes from the EU you may wish to weigh into this.

"The Office of United States Trade Representative requested comments on Dec. 28 regarding its proposal to include tariffs on motorcycles imported from the European Union with an engine size between 51cc and 500cc in the E.U. – U.S. beef hormone trade dispute. The deadline to submit comments is Jan. 30.

The American Motorcyclist Association opposes the proposed tariff, because trade disputes residing within the boundaries of the agricultural industry should not be solved with trade sanctions levied against non-agricultural products.

Specifically, a 100 percent, or higher, tariff on these motorcycles is proposed. This will cause serious and potentially irreversible harm to American small- and medium-sized business owners selling the vehicles. Additionally, consumers will be denied access to certain models of competition and recreational motorcycles that contribute to the lifestyle and wellbeing of millions of American families.

Manufacturers that will be impacted: 1) Aprilla; 2) Beta; 3) BMW; 4) Ducati; 5) Fantic; 6) Gas Gas; 7) Husqvarna; 9) KTM; 10) Montesa; 11) Piaggio; 12) Scorpa; 13) Sherco; 14) TM; and 15) Vespa."

See:
https://cqrcengage.com/amacycle/app/act-on-a-regulation?0&engagementId=275833

I wonder if this proposal really includes the G310 models, which I understand to be built in India. (and Brazil?)

Ken, I have two in line as #1 and #2 they have from BMW Mororrad USA. One must be RED. Zero down. That is what several new and several used bikes since 1984 will get you. I have bought 1.9 million miles worth of parts in the past 33 years from them. Dealership loyalty does mean something. When I tell them I want two 310s they simply believe me. YMMV. And they will deliver when they can. Engle Motors. Kansas City. My dealer, even if I do live 1100 miles away in Texas.

Screen Shot 2017-02-15 at 6.43.36 PM.jpg

Well I am only ~1600 miles from that Dealer - just a pesky border to cross. :)

A couple of pictures from the YB Montreal thread-

20170225_102535_zps6zndjl1n.jpg

20170225_102554_zpssj8ojqos.jpg

Thanks to BBQer

http://www.kenspring.com/ybforum/showthread.php?1736-Something-to-do-next-weekend

OM

In the Northeast area- From Max E-Mail...

Looking forward to seeing the new G310R in person? MAX BMW will be displaying a G310R at each of our 4 locations over the next month! Come see it in the following stores:

Brookfield, Connecticut - April 8th

South Windsor, Connecticut - April 15th

Troy, New York - April 22nd

North Hampton, New Hampshire - April 29th

The G310R is a new addition to the BMW Motorrad family. With a 2017 MSRP starting at $4,750 it is an affordable bike that has already attracted much interest. Whether you are an experienced rider or a beginner looking to get in to the BMW Motorrad family, the G310R is truly a bike built for riders of all ages and experience.

The G310R will be available for purchase MAX BMW stores around June or July. We are currently taking deposits.

I've been thinking of something a bit lighter. Hope to hear good reports.

Posted specs look good-

2017 BMW G 310 R Specs

Base Price: $4,750
Engine Type: Liquid-cooled, DOHC single, 4 valves per cyl
Displacement: 313cc
Bore x Stroke: 80.0 x 62.0mm
Transmission: 6-speed, wet multi-plate clutch
Final Drive: O-ring chain
Wheelbase: 54.1 in.
Rake/Trail: 25.1 degrees/4.7 in.
Seat Height: 30.9 in.
Claimed Wet Weight: 350 lbs.