• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The New BMW G 310 GS Thread~

I just bought a 2023 G310GS, and it is the first canbus BMW for me. I want to attach electrical draws like a GPS and heated gear. Will the canbus tolerate operating these gadgets from a fuseblock like a Centech AP-2?

--Wendell

I just bought a 2023 G310GS, and it is the first canbus BMW for me. I want to attach electrical draws like a GPS and heated gear. Will the canbus tolerate operating these gadgets from a fuseblock like a Centech AP-2?

--Wendell

I don't believe the 310 has canbus (Paul please go to the house phone).

I have heated grips, GPS, Denali driving lights and run a heated jacket with no problem driving them. I have a voltmeter installed in the dash to let me know what is going on.

It is a lot of wires to hook up, with everything involved, but I am running a Deltran Lithium battery that has two positive and and two negative posts which makes it somewhat easier. Still there is not a lot of room down there.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

I don't believe the 310 has canbus (Paul please go to the house phone). #71,449

Yes, I was mistaken, the 310 has no canbus. I like that and will probably use a Fuzeblock to collect the electrical addons. I wish it were easier to add heated grips; I may try to get by with just a heated vest.

Thanks again for the info -- Wendell

Suggestions on installing a dual usb port on my 2018 310GS

Best way to easily and affordably install dual USB port on my 2018 310GS? Thanks in advance! Part numbers would be appreciated.

Best way to easily and affordably install dual USB port on my 2018 310GS? Thanks in advance! Part numbers would be appreciated.

Since no one has responded, here are a couple of approaches. You might need to scroll up or down to find an appropriate post, but this USB also has a voltmeter.

BMW G310GS Thread | Page 359 | Adventure Rider (advrider.com)

If you are multilingual, this video might help!
BMW G310 Installation USB charging socket - YouTube

Looks like this forum will not let us post links, so you'll have to search on the ADV forum and youtube for the titles.

--Wendell

Since no one has responded, here are a couple of approaches. You might need to scroll up or down to find an appropriate post, but this USB also has a voltmeter.

BMW G310GS Thread | Page 359 | Adventure Rider (advrider.com)

If you are multilingual, this video might help!
BMW G310 Installation USB charging socket - YouTube

Looks like this forum will not let us post links, so you'll have to search on the ADV forum and youtube for the titles.

--Wendell

Of course you can post links. :scratch

Look at the link up 4 posts.

OM

Possibly this thread- https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/bmw-g310gs-thread.1140150/

Last edited:

You can do this except for the easy part.

Installed one of these on the right had side of the dash on my 2019 and 2022 310 GS.

https://www.amazon.com/SunnyTrip-Wa...t=&hvlocphy=9017624&hvtargid=pla-646948039897

You can find versions with various brackets that may work bolted to a different location.

I cut the hole in the dash using one of these. Cut hole after taking off cowl so you miss anything on the dash underside.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-pie...oated-high-speed-steel-step-drills-96275.html

I connected it two one of the switched outlets under the cowl.

BMW 310 GS Switched Outlets.jpg

I connected it using this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1443597669...QeBCJP6TIJjMJV8idscsB0xTAQ==|tkp:BFBMpLun0rdi

I gained access to all of this by following these instructions - drum roll please.

2022 BMW G310GS Tupperware Removal Guide
There are something like 34 bodywork screws to get to the headlight. They are not all the same. Buy a screw storage container with something like 24 compartments. Harbor Freight has one for $4.99. Cut little squares of paper to fit the storage squares. As you remove screws write on the paper squares where they came from and keep them separate from the other screws. There are several lengths of screws, some have shoulders to fit thru larger mounting holes in the body panels, some don’t. Some have plastic washers, some don’t. The plastic washers are really thin, and easily dropped, you may want to buy better plastic washers in bulk from someplace like Amazon.
1st You have to take off the tank shroud.

Do not remove screws from gas filler cap. Not necessary.
Do not remove two screws from rear center strip of shroud. Not necessary.
Do not remove the screws from turn signals. Not necessary.
Side emblem wings come off individually. Two screws on the outside and one on the inside (rear). (6)
Don't take off the wrong screw on the inside, it won’t help you..
One screw at the forward center mount next to the triple tree frame neck. (1)
One screw at the rear under the front of the seat. (1)
Front of Shroud 2 screws in the indent, 2 screws in the top, 2 in the front on each side. (6)
Front of shroud underside on left and right. (2)
Rear of shroud underside on left and right. (2)
You have to spread the shroud at the bottom (away and over the lower mounting points) as you lift it off. You need to rock the shroud a little to the side to clear the upper mounting points. When putting it back on you need to make sure the lower lip on the sides is below the fastening points and not hung up on top. Also there are two little rubber bumpers inside the rear of the tank shroud that fall off occasionally.

Next you have to take off the beak. Elevating the bike makes this part easier.

There are two screws on each side of the outside of the rear beak. (2)
There are two screws on center underneath the beak. (2)
There are two screws underneath that are horizontal at the front of the beak pointed out. (2)
These are a little difficult. Work from the opposite side on each screw.
I have a miniature bit driver I use specifically for these two screws.
There are two screws underneath pointed up on an angle away from the motor. (2)

Next you take off the cowl.

There are two screws on each side of the inside of the cowl. Use long 1/4 inch extensions. (4)
There are four screws holding on the fly screen. (4)
Do not take the screws from the turn signals. Not necessary.
Do not take the screws from the side of the headlight. Not necessary.
Grab the cowl and lift it away from the headlight. It will fold forward hanging by the turn signal wiring.

If you find any improved methods, please pass them on to me. After you do the Tupperware removal a couple times it becomes easier. You have two switched outlets inside the cowl so you may want to hook up a GPS, heated grips or upgrade to a LED headlight with brackets that don't shake like the early ones did.

Good Luck

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

Last edited:
Lifting a G310GS

I have a new G310GS and would like to make it easier to lube the chain. I’d prefer to avoid putting a center stand on it.

Is there a safe way to raise the rear end with a regular floor jack?

Is it easy for just one person to use a rear stand? I’ve never used one and wonder if the stand can safely lift the bike when it is on its side stand.

Thanks for any info -- Wendell

I have a new G310GS and would like to make it easier to lube the chain. I’d prefer to avoid putting a center stand on it.

Is there a safe way to raise the rear end with a regular floor jack?

Is it easy for just one person to use a rear stand? I’ve never used one and wonder if the stand can safely lift the bike when it is on its side stand.

Thanks for any info -- Wendell

https://motobriiz.com/products/moto...v54Th4JH5miTA4a8GnGGw8dg9Lu7SyOsaAjciEALw_wcB

I have one of these mounted behind the side cover on the chain side.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

Back