• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The New BMW G 310 GS Thread~

Your smile reminded me of my first days with my R11RS, Big Red.
I went to a rally and saw a crowd of people gathered around another R11RS. I could tell who was the owner just from the BEEG sMile!

Voni
sMiling still

I managed to sneak away and put a few more break-in miles on today, now sitting at 150 miles. I really like this bike! Even though it was mid 40's I enjoyed every second of it.

I came across this scene, it really fit my mood. :)

IMG_2164-XL.jpg

Nice photo! Glad you enjoy that bike!
I have it's big brother, but when my dealer asked me to put some break-in miles on their 310GS, I jumped on the chance and gave it back to them with almost 300 miles on it..:whistle :rofl
It is a great machine and only the lack of space keeps me from having one as a second bike.

102519biketrip-DSCF1711.jpg

Riding home a brand new 2018 G310R from Minneapolis, MN to New Jersey (with a 600 mile service appointment in Indianapolis). It's a bit chilly in late October but this is the most fun I've had on a bike in many, many years.

I am very happy with my G 310GS

I hesitate to call it a "Baby GS" because it can surprise you with its strong will. Thanks to Voni and Paul I grabbed mine just before the brake recall thing came out. Its a very capable on and off road motorcycle, true to my nature I have to make it mine so I did some personalizing with it. The biggest issue I had was introducing the new GS to the family, a little butt sniffing, some snarling and a more than enough barking (G 310Gs got an Ackrapovic carbon) but after a while they all settled down to a peaceful compromise.

I think the G 310GS will make the Winter Rally trip this year, you know it is "Florida's Coolest Rally" so why not show up with one of the coolest bikes.

Attachments

• 002 (1280x960).jpg
    002 (1280x960).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 493
Recall

Got my bike back after the brake recall yesterday. I finally have a real front brake, rather than the sponge it came with. Diagnosis was a porous caliper casting. Caliper replaced. Rumor is that BMW has a part number for adjustable levers for the 310 but no price yet. I’d like adjustable levers.

I bought a new G310R in 2019 (or just a couple of posts ago in this space-time continuum). Loved it, but still bought other, bigger bikes.

My wife finally gave up her Rebel 250, and now loves the G310R -- even more so since adding a two-inch lowering link.

So I picked up a 2018 G310GS from Hermy's BMW Motorcycles a week or so ago -- being fairly well matched definitely makes our weekend rides so much nicer.

And I'm a bit taken aback by how much I love the 310GS. It's a seriously fun bike. Not ready to give up my RSL, but the GS is pretty hard to beat where we live -- no need to take freeways and lots of old, twisty roads. It's a great bike. They both are...

IMG_8641_g310s.jpg

Looks like Twisted Throttle is selling the Zieger brand of center stand for the 310

Zieger-Centerstand-BMW-G-310-GS-17-19-Black.png

Made in Germany. $164.00

OM

Here we go again

After 60 years of riding, and a major Accident, I thought my days of riding were over. Then, a BMW 310 GS followed me home. Maybe I have a few more years in me. My last 4 bikes have been 1150gs’So, This is a bit of a change. Looking forward to a new adventure. :ca

Chip

Just for interest sake. Has anybody put a chip in their 310? If so any improvement? Was it worth doing?
First thing I have noticed is. I have to rev the bike much more that I am use to. Feels comfortable! May have to put on Bar back/riser. What have people done for bags.

Just for interest sake. Has anybody put a chip in their 310? If so any improvement? Was it worth doing?
First thing I have noticed is. I have to rev the bike much more that I am use to. Feels comfortable! May have to put on Bar back/riser. What have people done for bags.

No chip.

Shad bags. We have the 23 liter bags on our bikes. As a do-over I might go with the 30L bags.

Big Secret - Tell No One

No chip.

Shad bags. We have the 23 liter bags on our bikes. As a do-over I might go with the 30L bags.

I have the Shad 32 liter bags on my 310 which seem to be not well explained on their web site. https://www.shadusa.com/collections/saddlebags/products/tr40-terra-adventure-saddlebags

The bags work with the simpler 3P bag mounting system that I think work with Paul's 23 liter system. This is a really a smaller bag mount.

Since I have had them on the bike, I have not taken them off. Great for picking up groceries and any other excuse for riding.

It also has great capability, when touring, for containing an extra gas container to make up for the grossly under engineered gas capacity of the 310GS.

Tell no one.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

Am looking seriously at the G310GS, trading down from a Tiger 800. Do all the G310GS variants have the same specifications? Seems like the various names just refer to color schemes. Mainly checking whether the "sport" in the G310GS Sport just refers to the white color.

Thanks, Wendell

I have the Shad 32 liter bags on my 310 which seem to be not well explained on their web site. https://www.shadusa.com/collections/saddlebags/products/tr40-terra-adventure-saddlebags

What would you guess the weight of both empty bags and their hangers?

I called Shad and asked the question because my guess may not be very good.

The 3 P system is what you need to hang the bags is 7 pounds and the bags are 13 pounds for a total of 20 pounds.

Michael Schuiten is Shads main guy at 305.652.6366.

I ordered mine thru my BMW Dealer in Grand Rapids, MI.

Hope this helps.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

Thanks for all info about the Shad cases. With either the Shad 23 or 36 L systems, do you need to attach any heat protection to the righthand bag because of the exhaust?

--Wendell

Thanks for all info about the Shad cases. With either the Shad 23 or 36 L systems, do you need to attach any heat protection to the righthand bag because of the exhaust?

--Wendell

We have the 23L bags on both of our 310s and muffler heat has not been an issue.

--Wendell

No heat shield on my 36L soft bags.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

Back