Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18

Thread: The New BMW G 310 GS Thread~

Baby GS is Home

Took delivery of a red G310GS Friday last in FtL FL. Spent the night with friends outside Clewiston, max 60mph, thru LaBelle and up to the family and trailer in Lakeland. Passed the 200m restriction first day and began to push slowly past 6k, long and slow and then ride softly for a few minutes to let heat stabilize. After initial break in, the turbine-smooth motor shows it has grunt in small-caste letter from 4K, and fun to be had from 6k/60mph to 9k, near 90mph. Seat is miserable. Suspension is quite good. Did some fire roads when we got home to north GA. GOes good. Did some sugar sand it FL. Bike has Mitas E07 50/50 tires, lotta off pavement and sand grip. Some mud here at home, good drive thru mud. Great tires. Good pavement tires. Floats over sugar sand, a new and happy experience. Wide tires on a light Moto. All in all, very happy 😊
    Roger Wiles
    roger@rogerwiles.com
    www.rogerwiles.com
    706.897.8266 24/7 Wireless

G310 Valve Adjustment

Anyone else alarmed by the cost of a valve adjustment listed in the new Motorcycle Consumer News? They are quoting almost 5 hours of labor ($645) and parts total of $430, total service $1075! This was for a GS, but I assume an R would be very similar.

Side note - Givi is expecting to bring out a Monokey rack setup for the GS soon based on an email I received from them.

Joe B

Quote Originally Posted by joeb83 View Post
    Anyone else alarmed by the cost of a valve adjustment listed in the new Motorcycle Consumer News? They are quoting almost 5 hours of labor ($645) and parts total of $430, total service $1075! This was for a GS, but I assume an R would be very similar.

Side note - Givi is expecting to bring out a Monokey rack setup for the GS soon based on an email I received from them.

Joe B
    I suspect that once again Consumer News is suspect. The 310 is simpler than the F twins and they take nowhere near 5 hours. I would have to read the article. What reason did they give for the difficulty. It isn't a K1600.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 05-07-2018 at 02:17 AM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

F310 Valve Adjustment

The mag article contained a small block of "maintenance cost" info, and credited the Service Manager from Brown Motor Works in Pomona, CA for the info. No detailed explanation was provided.

Valve Parts

Over $400 for parts is incomprehensible for a valve adjustment.
    Roger Wiles
    roger@rogerwiles.com
    www.rogerwiles.com

Recall and Stop Sale

BMW has issued a Stop Sale order on all G310GS bikes. There are substantive reports, according to my mole and ADV, that side stands have been breaking. Worse, itís not the side stand itself that fails, but rather part of the frame and/or the pivot tab that holds the stand. Iíve heard reports that, instead of snapping off at the frame, the failure is actually taking a part of the frame tube with it.

Bear in mind, apart from the Stop Sale, this is rumor mixed with what we think are facts

The failure are apparently caused by folks stirrup mounting and dismounting (placing the left foot on leftfootpeg and mounting or dismounting). Another cause would be spinning the bike in the garage by pivoting on the sidestand, or sitting on the Moto while it is on the sidestand.

Rumor has it that BMW may not honor warranty claims; the G310GS Motorcycle Owners Manual states that the sidestand is not intended to bear any weight apart from the motorcycle itself. Rumor has it that BMW has honored some claims, has replaced the entire frame of one bike, and replaced another ownerís bike entirely. Now they (rumor, remember) apparently state that they will not honor claims. They claim there is no fix or repair, apart from a new frame. I donít know what the Stop Sale is intended to accomplish.

In any event, if one is stirrup-mounting or dismounting, one may wish to quit doing it until this matter is settled. I suspect that failures are occurring on machines that have the rear shock jacked up to provide high ground clearance or, mostly, to look cool; stirrup-mounting and dismounting a Moto that is leaned over, due to lots of rear stock/strut preload, makes for a big angle between bike, ground and sidestand and the big angles puts too much stress on the sidestand.

My $0.02
    Roger Wiles
    roger@rogerwiles.com
    www.rogerwiles.com

I don’t have time to read all of this thread right now but has anyone brought up Jenny Morgan’s thread on ADv? She is cross crossing US/ CAN on and off road this summer including some pretty technical terrain. So far she’s been having fun according to her RR on ADV. She is working with Rally RAID in the UK for some good aftermarket upgrades, the beta stuff is on her bike. Her RRis a good read and she is giving a presentation at the MOA about the bike and her ride at 15:30 on Friday. I’ll see you there.
    http://http://advrider.com/index.php...eener.1294883/
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend

Quote Originally Posted by WooDmEn View Post
    In any event, if one is stirrup-mounting or dismounting, one may wish to quit doing it until this matter is settled. I suspect that failures are occurring on machines that have the rear shock jacked up to provide high ground clearance or, mostly, to look cool; stirrup-mounting and dismounting a Moto that is leaned over, due to lots of rear stock/strut preload, makes for a big angle between bike, ground and sidestand and the big angles puts too much stress on the sidestand.

My $0.02
    I'd think not using a kickstand or a center stand to bear weight of mounting any motorcycle is common sense. It just doesn't seem to be a good idea in general to do this.

I do however keep mine down and the bike upright when the old lady mounts the bike as a failsafe to her getting on, in case the bike leans to far.