• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

A new study from VT on crashes

Maybe with one variable. But with as many variables as might present themselves in motorcycle crashes I would suspect a lot more cases than that would be highly desirable in order to draw actual conclusions.

No argument on the multi-variable aspect.

BTW - Don't kill this thread:)

I find VT's use of odds ratio analysis somewhat troubling, as it can give a very skewed answer. Here's an example.

Suppose that in a sample of 100 men, 90 develop a certain disease, while in a sample of 100 women only 20 develop the same disease. The odds of a man developing the disease are 90 to 10, or 9:1, while the odds for women are only 20 to 80, or 1:4 = 0.25:1. The odds ratio is thus 9:1/0.25:1 = 36, showing that men are much more likely to develop the disease than women.

Now lets look at the probability ratio. In this same example, the probabilities of developing the disease are 0.9 for men and 0.2 for women. The probability ratio is 0.9/0.2 = 4.5, a significantly different number than the odds ratio. In this example men are 4.5 times as likely to develop the disease than women, but have 36 times the odds. Using the odds ratio gives a much more alarming answer than using the probability ratio.

I find VT's use of odds ratio analysis somewhat troubling, as it can give a very skewed answer. Here's an example.

Suppose that in a sample of 100 men, 90 develop a certain disease, while in a sample of 100 women only 20 develop the same disease. The odds of a man developing the disease are 90 to 10, or 9:1, while the odds for women are only 20 to 80, or 1:4 = 0.25:1. The odds ratio is thus 9:1/0.25:1 = 36, showing that men are much more likely to develop the disease than women.

Now lets look at the probability ratio. In this same example, the probabilities of developing the disease are 0.9 for men and 0.2 for women. The probability ratio is 0.9/0.2 = 4.5, a significantly different number than the odds ratio. In this example men are 4.5 times as likely to develop the disease than women, but have 36 times the odds. Using the odds ratio gives a much more alarming answer than using the probability ratio.

Thanks for the clarification and education. I'm still struggling with a world where the Median rarely equals the Mean

Good comments. I can't wait for the new study to come out.

I am amazed that about 50% of the accidents are low speed, or no speed, tip-over.

E.

Good comments. I can't wait for the new study to come out.

I am amazed that about 50% of the accidents are low speed, or no speed, tip-over.

E.

Typically, I don't think those events would be called accidents. More, along the lines of embarrassments.

Wonder why they would include useless data like that?

It is due to the study design. Put gizmos on bikes and report everything that happens. At some point humans need to decide what is relevant and useful and what isn't. My problem is that the number of events that are relevant and useful - 15 - is way too small to provide much information. Get it up to a few hundred and I will start to believe their conclusions. But that would be a much larger study than their grant would fund I am willing to bet.

Last edited:
...Hmmmm, I'm a insurance company CEO. I commission a "study" on motorcycle risks, and lo and behold it turns out we've been under charging for m/c insurance.... who knew.

Which happened in 2007 when the IIHS released a study on highway crashes involving "supersport" bikes.

I find VT's use of odds ratio analysis somewhat troubling, as it can give a very skewed answer... Using the odds ratio gives a much more alarming answer than using the probability ratio.

As Mark Twain used to say (attributing it to British Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli)
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." One has to be extremely careful, detailed and scientific when manipulating and trying to understand what a series of events actually represents, and if the sample size is under 1,000 with no control group (not that you could have one for this), lumping dropping your bike at virtual stand-still in with running off the road, etc.,and with the virtually unlimited variables, it makes the problems insurmountable in my mind.

To further invalidate the study all you need to do is read it and see what they are counting! A full 37.8% of all their CNC (Crash or Near-Crash) events are identified as
Subject over left/right lane line Negotiating a curve
Naturally the vast majority of these were "Subject over left lane line" as far too many people cut their corners. Cutting a corner, however, especially if there is a clear line of sight with no oncoming traffic, while inappropriate, is a far cry from what should in a rational world be considered a CNC incident.

As I mentioned, earlier, there is an outlier here that completely skews the results of this study to the point of not being able to have useful statistics. One can draw useful information, but definitely not statistics.

One individual rider (1% of the group) accounted for 13 CNC incidents (8.5%). Without knowing what these were, it's really impossible to the meaning of these figures. If they rode on isolated open roads and had poor lane discipline when there wasn't any traffic, than that is an issue but not a "Near-Crash" incident in my book.

Watch the video on page 14 of the PDF under the "Crash Descriptions" headline. Rider comes up to a stop sign to turn right. At a virtual stop the rider drops the bike. It is not a crash nor is it a near-crash. It is a drop and I strongly feel it has no business being included in the CNC portion of the study. Certainly it can be used to identify that some of us have poor control of our bikes and virtually all of us will have a brain-fade and drop a bike (I've done it a couple of times), but do not lump that into a CNC statistic.

57% of the 30 crashes were low-speed “capsizes”
Which that video is listed as an example of.

The real problem here is that the sample size is absolutely way too small to build any credible statistics on and including things like a simple bike drop at 0.5 mph or cutting a corner on a wide-open full view deserted road are considered to be CNC incidents.

There is good info to be gleaned but, there are also, for me, significant issues which make me scratch my head.

Back