• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

A new study from VT on crashes

henzilla

not so retired
Staff member
Lifted from mika's BR&tMR today...down the page some for the glancers

http://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...ed-about-how-and-why-we-crash-our-motorcycles

I did not download the whole report yet since our satellite iternet download allowance has me picking and choosing today...but there is a link in the revzilla article. The oft quoted Hurt report is getting a bit ragged on the pages and with modern bikes and data is nice to see being used as things have changed a bit in that time frame.

BTW...thanks again to mika and his compilations:thumb

So they had a total of 30 "crashes" and half of these were tip-overs at zero or near zero speed. That left 15 or so actual crashes. Drawing conclusions from this sample is fraught with peril - the sample is just too small. They might find this many on one group ride to Sturgis.

So they had a total of 30 "crashes" and half of these were tip-overs at zero or near zero speed. That left 15 or so actual crashes. Drawing conclusions from this sample is fraught with peril - the sample is just too small. They might find this many on one group ride to Sturgis.

+1 on that!!

I shudder to think what the insurance folks and politicians might concoct based on this miniscule study. If you read or hear than anybody has drawn actual safety conclusions run away as fast as you can.

Such is the state of research (and polling) in America. Hmmmm, I'm a insurance company CEO. I commission a "study" on motorcycle risks, and lo and behold it turns out we've been under charging for m/c insurance.... who knew.

I still cannot dowload or watch the video....darn sat internet...such a pain as even Big Bend has high speed wire system...we are way behind here:banghead

Will get there next week after download allowance reset

Sounds a bit lacking in sampling

random sample

Nice idea, about time to update the Hurt Study information, but far too small a study to draw any meaningful conclusions, as Paul has pointed out. Unless I am mistaken, there was no input from the Northeast part of the country which has a very high traffic density, poor roadways, limited sight lines and a great many untrained and unskilled drivers and motorcycle operators all in a big hurry to get somewhere right now.

Every time we attempt to invent a better motorcycle safety program society seems to invent a better idiot. :scratch

Friedle
MSF 27713

Nice idea, about time to update the Hurt Study information, but far too small a study to draw any meaningful conclusions, as Paul has pointed out. Unless I am mistaken, there was no input from the Northeast part of the country which has a very high traffic density, poor roadways, limited sight lines and a great many untrained and unskilled drivers and motorcycle operators all in a big hurry to get somewhere right now.

Every time we attempt to invent a better motorcycle safety program society seems to invent a better idiot. :scratch

Friedle
MSF 27713

There is a new study -- very near release right now -- done to replace the Hurt study. It was compiled by Oklahoma State University under a federal grant. About a month ago (mid-October), I spoke with the professor who was heading the study. He told me the study was finished and had been submitted to the Feds for review/approval, but as of that date, the Feds had not responded to him. When I saw him again (last Thursday 11-17-16), I neglected to ask him what the current status was, but it should be very close to becoming public!

BTW, he told me there wasn't any earthshaking differences from the data shown in the Hurt study, with the exception of the increased "Inattentive Driver" as cause of accidents. And this isn't too meaningful -- when compared with the Hurt study -- as the Hurt study did not include this as a cause.

...Every time we attempt to invent a better motorcycle safety program society seems to invent a better idiot. :scratch...
That is especially true when you see that with such a small sample size (making the study's statistical accuracy almost worthless, but definitely providing insight and therefore of value), there are some disturbing info here.

34% of the riders in the study accounted for 86% of the crashes and near-crashes
That seems within reason and follows very roughly stats derived on many other items, but if you look at the data, one (1) rider, out of the 100 (1%) accounted for 13 of the "incidents" recorded or almost 10% and 10x the average. With such a small sample size and a very poor rider being included in that study the results are simply of very little value as they are skewed by someone who is obviously riding with very little ability, training, or restraint and yet is affecting a full 10% of the data!

My 1st year University Statistics course made it abundantly clear that the can be no credible statistics drawn from the study. There can be valuable information, but definitely not stats.

Crash study

I remember reading the Hurt Report in 1981. What I took away from that were 3 things;
1. Intersections kill and 50% of the crashes involved cars turning left in front of motorcycles
2. You can increase your chances of avoiding a crash by keeping 2 fingers on the front brake when in traffic and when coming into an intersection
3. Booze and drugs account for 50% of all motorcycle deaths.

To this day I have continued to do the following:
1. I always keep 2 fingers on the front brake, even when on the open road
2. I go on "Red Alert" whenever I am coming to an intersection
3. I don't drink anymore and don't use drugs*

#3 is entirely personal but anyone who thinks you can mix booze/drugs with 2 wheels is an idiot.

All this having been said, the fact is that Harry Hurt literally saved my life thousands of times and I suspect there are many more like me. Finally, I agree that the study is quite flawed, but I will take the business of looking ahead under advisement. As I become a senior rider, I will use anything I can to give me more time in the saddle and less in the hospital

... I agree that the study is quite flawed, but I will take the business of looking ahead under advisement. As I become a senior rider, I will use anything I can to give me more time in the saddle and less in the hospital
Couldn't agree more. There are plenty of things we all can learn from this report, the Hurt Report and by simply employing the MSF and other safe-riding habits to extend our ability to enjoy riding for a long as desired.

The Ok-State study -- designed to update/replace the Hurt Report -- is called the Motorcycle Crash Causation Study. Google it. As you'll find, it still has not been released to the wild.

From a medical view you need a "25-sample" to be considered viable. So a 15-sample is a bit light, still interesting though.

From a medical view you need a "25-sample" to be considered viable. So a 15-sample is a bit light, still interesting though.

25? Sounds small. IIRC, I need 63 samples to get a 95% confidence level on a mean value.

25? Sounds small. IIRC, I need 63 samples to get a 95% confidence level on a mean value.

Maybe with one variable. But with as many variables as might present themselves in motorcycle crashes I would suspect a lot more cases than that would be highly desirable in order to draw actual conclusions.

Back