• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2002 R1150R Brakes

BC1100S

Left Coast Rider
A buddy of mine is looking at an classified ad for one of these. Did they have the servo/whizzy brakes on them? I'm thinking "yes" but would like confirmation from the assembled multitude. :)

Thanks in advance!

If it has ABS, it will be the 'whizzy' brakes. Quite a few R1150Rs were non-ABS, though.

Thats H's favorite model in the Roadsters and every time we find a clean low miler lately it is non ABS. First question she asks the sellers. The whizzy brakes are not a deal breaker for us.

If it has ABS, it will be the 'whizzy' brakes. Quite a few R1150Rs were non-ABS, though.

It does have ABS therefore it must have servo brakes. Thanks again!

Any time you have a question, just ask the "experts", newbie. :)

Oh, and SeabeckS, I thanked the "gentlemen" here. You should know that anyone who rides a pencil lead grey/school bus yellow R1100S is anything but a gentleman. :laugh

Last edited:
Left Coast,

I have a 2002 R 1150 RT with the "whizzy," that is servo-assisted ABS brakes. While they seem to have gotten a bad rep from some riders and motojournalists, I've never found them to be a problem. The good is that I can modulate the brakes with very little pressure on the lever and/or pedal, and the stop like throwing out an anchor.

The negatives are:

1) if the bike is not running, the lever pressure is higher, but not really any worse than a bike without servo-assist brakes. Just don't expect them to behave the same without a little more pressure.
2) a brake fluid change is a) a bit beyond the average home wrench, and b) is spendy. But, I understand that the high cost is true for any of the ABS RTs.

Ray

Back