• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Removing body panels from RT

fletchdude

I'm going to paint my bike this winter and need to remove the body panels. My question is can I start and ride the bike with them all removed. I was going to remove them in my garage which I can heat (it's getting cold here in Maryland), and then move the bike into the barn which isn't heated about 200 feet away. When the panels come back from the painter I'd like ride it back to the garage for reassembly. Pushing the bike back and forth is an option but not a good one. The path to the barn and back would be a challenge. I have audio if that's a factor.

Jim

Short answer, yes.
Have buds ride over w/out panels on R and K's...sometimes show up for rides like that:scratch
Have a friend who left the panels off his 1150RT so long, they do not line up anymore as the tank has warped...he has ridden it like this for two years:banghead

I think you have things mixed up

You should keep your bike in the heated garage and your "S.O."s vehicle in the cold barn......
- just saying...................

14 or newer be careful removing upper side panels, lift up no out, or you'll break the lousy tabs
One other suggestion is couple pieces of foam board, marked with location of removed screws, their are several different shoulder lengths

Thanks for the suggestions. Especially evicting the wife's car. I should have included which RT and or updated my profile to reflect the 2014 wet head. I have read about the tabs. I have one loose panel right now and the bike is at the dealer just in case I have a warranty repair or replace issue. Good tip about the foam board from t6pilot. I assume you meant sketch the panel with the screw locations.

Thanks for the suggestions. Especially evicting the wife's car. I should have included which RT and or updated my profile to reflect the 2014 wet head. I have read about the tabs. I have one loose panel right now and the bike is at the dealer just in case I have a warranty repair or replace issue. Good tip about the foam board from t6pilot. I assume you meant sketch the panel with the screw locations.

You are correct sir, I should have also added I Outline the shape of the removed panel and punch the screws into the foam in appropriate places

The first was to verify my top front panels were OK, my left one had a broken tab and the dealer replaced it under warranty.

I'm pretty sure I have a broken tab on the left panel as well. The top rear moves if I wiggle it. The right panel is rock solid. Since I'm painting anyway, I'm hoping I get new panel and they pay for the paint on that one panel.

The tabs seem to be prone to breakage even if they weren't removed. I rented a wet head RT in Portugal from IMT and the left panel was so loose I was afraid it was going to come off.

The dealer verified my left panel has a broken tab and a new panel is on order. Yes, they do come painted apparently. I hope they can get one here in the US. If from Germany it'll take awhile. Covered under warranty none the less.

I've never had the panel off so it's interesting how it got broken?

Update, lots of work to get broken tabs covered by warranty and I can see why. Really bad design. Very costly to BMW to make good on these. I've had to deal with a bit of denile and displaced blame for who touched what and when from previous maintenance and aftermarket installations. In the end BMW owned up.

In the mean time I'm waiting for a new panel to arrive from Germany. So I went to Home Depot and picked up some 3M Velcro rated at 5 lbs to keep the panel secure for now. It really works pretty good and I'm thinking it's a better solution in the long run.

Many prior models have tabs that can and will break, some hidden screws on some that folks miss and yank loose. Nothing new for the Beemers, just a new version of an old issue.

Lots of zip-ties, Velcro, and JB Weld has been used since the mid1990's on a lot of bikes I have seen and or own:banghead

The 05 GS's had magic wings as tank covers for many and the previous owner of our 99S missed the screw behind the Roundel on the backside of the side panel and snapped that off on both sides...made for a wiggly set of lowers until I found out why.

The two small black covers under the riders saddle on 11XX RT's are almost all held on with zipties it seems.

Aggravating ain't it?

Aggravating ain't it?

Yes it is. BMW seems to go too far with trying to not have fasteners exposed. Well at least I know how to get them on and off with hopes of not breaking anything. To be honest, if I had to live with the Velcro, I'd be ok. I'm going to keep some Velcro strips and zip ties in the tool kit from now on.

Hey, just an editorial note, none of this takes away from how awesome this bike is to ride. I'm looking forward to having her painted for spring.

Yes it is. BMW seems to go too far with trying to not have fasteners exposed. Well at least I know how to get them on and off with hopes of not breaking anything. To be honest, if I had to live with the Velcro, I'd be ok. I'm going to keep some Velcro strips and zip ties in the tool kit from now on.

Hey, just an editorial note, none of this takes away from how awesome this bike is to ride. I'm looking forward to having her painted for spring.

3M Dual Lock. Available in tape and dots. Industrial hook & loop.

Any idea what the entire painted surfaces repaint to the RS model's blue and white scheme will cost? Also, how well will new paint hold up? I'm obviously ignorant of these things but I really like the RS scheme as well. Please post a photo when you get there :eek:)

Any idea what the entire painted surfaces repaint to the RS model's blue and white scheme will cost? Also, how well will new paint hold up? I'm obviously ignorant of these things but I really like the RS scheme as well. Please post a photo when you get there :eek:)

I'm still getting quotes on the paint. I've had paint work done in the past with great results. I've had panels painted etc after scrapes and the paint was fine and lasted as well as new. I may get the guy who painted my sidecar to do it. Will post results when done.

Has anyone run across a CD that demonstrtes how to, and the order of, removing the body panels?

Back