• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

"Warnning" Fuel Leak same as in BMW ON letter

04r1150rs

ONE LESS HARLEY
I just got my BMW ON today and was looking at the letters to the editor and was startled to see that someone else has had the same experience that I had with a fuel leak at one of the rubber lines (about 1.5" long) on the right side of the engine above the fuel injector near the disconnects. If it does leak here the fuel will drip on the pipes and catalytic converter, no need to mention why that's bad. On mine one of the crimped clamps wasn't clamped tight enough to seal to the hard plastic fuel line. When the clamp was removed and replaced with a screw type clamp all was well, but the little metal sleave was reused and put between the new clamp and hose as some of the clamps will dig into the fuel lines.
My bike is an '04 R1150RS, with about 4,000 miles.

It would be wise to give the fuel lines an inspection on any Oilheads.

I would be very interested to know if anyone else has experienced this.

Common problem, it seems. I believe there was a recall some time back for those to be brought in for tightening or replacing.

My '03 just started leaking at 44,000 miles. New EFI clamps are now installed.

04R1150RS said:
I just got my BMW ON today and was looking at the letters to the editor and was startled to see that someone else has had the same experience that I had with a fuel leak at one of the rubber lines (about 1.5" long) on the right side of the engine above the fuel injector near the disconnects. If it does leak here the fuel will drip on the pipes and catalytic converter, no need to mention why that's bad. On mine one of the crimped clamps wasn't clamped tight enough to seal to the hard plastic fuel line. When the clamp was removed and replaced with a screw type clamp all was well, but the little metal sleave was reused and put between the new clamp and hose as some of the clamps will dig into the fuel lines.
My bike is an '04 R1150RS, with about 4,000 miles.

It would be wise to give the fuel lines an inspection on any Oilheads.

I would be very interested to know if anyone else has experienced this.

There was a similar recall on the K-bikes. I a very slight leak from one of the clamps on the tank outlet link on my '03 K1200RS.

I had this problem on my 1150GS. I noticed that the transmission housing (near the trans fluid fill/drain plugs) was getting discolored. It looked as if someone had been peeing on my bike. Then I was idling the bike in the garage and noticed fuel dripping out of the main line in behind the injector. I tightened the little hose clamp and all was well. I make it a habit to check the hose clamps every so often now as a pre-ride check.

In responding to a thread about external fuel filters, Paul just posted this to the bmw tech list:

Next on my agenda is to go out to the garage and fix the leaking fuel line connection on my R1150R which still has the dreadful crimp-on clamps from the factory. It does have plastic disconnects, though. Oh, well. We shouldn't tamper with the way BMW builds them. It might not be safe.

Where's that smilie with its tongue stuck in its cheek?

Voni
sMiling

When it happened to mine, I remember standing slack-jawed into the garage,watching liquid dripping onto the pipe, sizzling. Turned off the bike, but couldn't figure out exactly where it was coming from. Started the bike again, but it stopped leaking. So I rode to work.

In the afternoon, started up the bike, and the leak started again. Turned off the bike,ran into the office, called the shop and arranged to bring it right over. Went out, started the bike,but no leak. Took it to the shop, but no leak, so they kinda rolled their eyes at me.

I finally looked much closer, in better light, and saw that the rubber hose was very dried out and cracked. I figure when I first started the bike,the hose was dry and gas flowed through the cracks. Then the gas itself moistened the line, it swelled and stopped leaking. Replaced the rubber lines and all is well now, but I check them regularly. DZ

screwtop said:
I had this problem on my 1150GS. I noticed that the transmission housing (near the trans fluid fill/drain plugs) was getting discolored. It looked as if someone had been peeing on my bike....

Ditto. Fuel ran down the side of the gearbox housing until heat or liquid caused expansion of the pipe or hose and closed the leak, but only until the next cold start. The housing still has that yellowish tinge; I call it patina.

I had the crimp-type clamps re-crimped by the dealer, and it solved the problem. However, when I broke a plastic quick-disconnect and had to remove it from the hose, I learned the hard way that those crimp-type hose clamps are a major PITA. You need special tools to deal with them, which I cannot imagine carrying on the bike for roadside repairs. So I cut them off with nippers (damn tough steel!) and bought and installed a complete set of the older screw-type clamps. Of course, now I'll never need to remove any of them, right?

Fred

There are a few more comments on this on the RRS Owners Page under the technical section.(http://www.bikersoracle.com/rs/forum/index.php).

Lets ride :groovy

Back