• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

A different sidecar question

burn-e

Hi All

This is my first post in the sidecar section, I have been riding an RT for the last 8 years but now I'm looking to add a sidecar. I have taken the required sidecar course in my area and gotten my endorsement. I am ready to purchase the rig but don't know where to park it. I have a two car garage with two cars in it Its not a good idea to leave one vehicle out in the driveway where I live. Certainly not a motorcycle. Any ideas where to park and store the bike? Wired question I know, but I need to solve this little mystery before the new ride gets here. Any ideas are appreciated.

Hi All

This is my first post in the sidecar section, I have been riding an RT for the last 8 years but now I'm looking to add a sidecar. I have taken the required sidecar course in my area and gotten my endorsement. I am ready to purchase the rig but don't know where to park it. I have a two car garage with two cars in it Its not a good idea to leave one vehicle out in the driveway where I live. Certainly not a motorcycle. Any ideas where to park and store the bike? Wired question I know, but I need to solve this little mystery before the new ride gets here. Any ideas are appreciated.

Both my bikes (R12GSA and another R12GSA with a Hannigan sidecar) park in the garage because that is a place of honor. The cars are parked outside in the rain, snow, sleet and ice.

You could build a shed for the rig. Requires sufficient space with easy access for the sidecar and money.

Maybe a neighbor has extra space in a garage you can rent. My aunt used to rent out half of her garage to a neighbor for $50/month. She lived not far from NYC so the rent was on the high side. If not a neighbor, then maybe a friend within reasonable distance. Not a very convenient option.

Enlarge your garage. Again space and cost demands.

Rent a storage facility. Cost and convenience issues.

Probably nothing here that will help.

Probably depends on local zoning and if you have to submit to "covenants and restrictions". If you don't have trouble with those items, a "Cover-It" quanset- tent style would work well.
OM

We have what used to be a two car garage. Now it is a two bike garage. Car is parked outside all winter.

Before the garage became a bike garage, it was not insulated nor heated. Even so, the temperature difference inside was warmer than outside and the floor was always wet in the winter from the snow and ice melting from the cars. They used to rust quite quickly. When we got new cars and parked them outside year round, the bodies did not have a rust problem.

Your solution; park the rig inside and leave the car outside. :)

May be it's the redneck in me but I have never parked a car in the garage. :dance
The garage is for fun stuff.:brad

It must be illegal to park an automobile in a garage in the State of California. It must be... riding around all I ever see in open garages is stuff.

From the OP there are too many unknowns. Size of driveway? Paved? Area beside garage? Weather/climate/location? Urban, suburban, rural? Codes? Covenants?

The obvious answer is park in the garage, leave a car out. Maybe a bad idea but we can't even guess what might work best knowing as little as we know.

Bigger garage:dance...Those who have been here can chuckle at that one:D

H used to keep her bikes at a storage unit down the rocky gravel thing they called a private road from her house. She drove past the place leaving her neighborhood, so not really an incovenience.

It must be illegal to park an automobile in a garage in the State of California. It must be... riding around all I ever see in open garages is stuff.

My daughters 1950's Redondo Beach house was designed for a pedal car...no way a modern car can fit and open a door! And yes, full of bikes and surfboards and anything but a vehicle...just like every other house in the area.

Amen

Both my bikes (R12GSA and another R12GSA with a Hannigan sidecar) park in the garage because that is a place of honor. The cars are parked outside in the rain, snow, sleet and ice.

My 2013 Passat is sitting in the snow covered driveway will my R1100GS and R90/6 sidecar rig (Ural) are basking in my garage.

It's a matter of priorities........

In my area a 10x12 storage shed does not need any permits. A RT sidecar rig should fit in that sized shed. Maybe the doors would have to be widened but that would be easy.

I know it is a bit unconventional. I know that some people have bought a rental storage unit if they cannot have a shed on their property because of zoning restrictions.

Outdoor sheds are the answer if you have room .. this SoCal-er keeps two cars in the two car garage!
IMG_6744.jpg

Do you really need two automobiles?

So if your garage has three framed walls and one moveable wall, (the door). Whats behind the wall directly ahead of the two cars when parked? If there is an interior cavity the other side of the garage wall a section of that interior room could be framed off and a niche made for the sidecar. Most garages can accommodate a full size vehicle so your 'niche' might not need to enclose the full extent of the sidecar for it to fit in. The first question to ask is "Who's room is it anyway"?

Why? We need more information to provide possible solutions that might make sense?

I'm don't know about his situation, but I grew up in Houston, and in some neighborhoods thieves would steal anything, or any part of a thing that was not totally secured.

E.

Back