Thread: A different sidecar question

A different sidecar question

Hi All

This is my first post in the sidecar section, I have been riding an RT for the last 8 years but now I'm looking to add a sidecar. I have taken the required sidecar course in my area and gotten my endorsement. I am ready to purchase the rig but don't know where to park it. I have a two car garage with two cars in it Its not a good idea to leave one vehicle out in the driveway where I live. Certainly not a motorcycle. Any ideas where to park and store the bike? Wired question I know, but I need to solve this little mystery before the new ride gets here. Any ideas are appreciated.

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by burn-e View Post
    Hi All

This is my first post in the sidecar section, I have been riding an RT for the last 8 years but now I'm looking to add a sidecar. I have taken the required sidecar course in my area and gotten my endorsement. I am ready to purchase the rig but don't know where to park it. I have a two car garage with two cars in it Its not a good idea to leave one vehicle out in the driveway where I live. Certainly not a motorcycle. Any ideas where to park and store the bike? Wired question I know, but I need to solve this little mystery before the new ride gets here. Any ideas are appreciated.
    Both my bikes (R12GSA and another R12GSA with a Hannigan sidecar) park in the garage because that is a place of honor. The cars are parked outside in the rain, snow, sleet and ice.
    '12 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Tulliver

http://travelswithbarley.com/

Consider smaller cars(?).
    Gary Phillips - #6322
    Wildland Firefighter, Retired, Riggins, ID
    Heartland Moto Locos BMW Riders
    '77 R100/7 Dirt Hack, '83 R80ST, '85 K100RS w/EML, '00 R1100RS

You could build a shed for the rig. Requires sufficient space with easy access for the sidecar and money.

Maybe a neighbor has extra space in a garage you can rent. My aunt used to rent out half of her garage to a neighbor for $50/month. She lived not far from NYC so the rent was on the high side. If not a neighbor, then maybe a friend within reasonable distance. Not a very convenient option.

Enlarge your garage. Again space and cost demands.

Rent a storage facility. Cost and convenience issues.

Probably nothing here that will help.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Probably depends on local zoning and if you have to submit to "covenants and restrictions". If you don't have trouble with those items, a "Cover-It" quanset- tent style would work well.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

RK Ryder
    We have what used to be a two car garage. Now it is a two bike garage. Car is parked outside all winter.

Before the garage became a bike garage, it was not insulated nor heated. Even so, the temperature difference inside was warmer than outside and the floor was always wet in the winter from the snow and ice melting from the cars. They used to rust quite quickly. When we got new cars and parked them outside year round, the bodies did not have a rust problem.

Your solution; park the rig inside and leave the car outside.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Niagara Riders #298 & Knights of the Roundel #333

May be it's the redneck in me but I have never parked a car in the garage.
    The garage is for fun stuff.
    Enjoying life in the beautiful state of Jefferson
    2013 K1600GTL : 2004 VTX1800c : 2007 K1200GT with Hannigen sidecar

It must be illegal to park an automobile in a garage in the State of California. It must be... riding around all I ever see in open garages is stuff.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden
    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner
    1963 Dnepr

From the OP there are too many unknowns. Size of driveway? Paved? Area beside garage? Weather/climate/location? Urban, suburban, rural? Codes? Covenants?

The obvious answer is park in the garage, leave a car out. Maybe a bad idea but we can't even guess what might work best knowing as little as we know.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Bigger garage...Those who have been here can chuckle at that one

H used to keep her bikes at a storage unit down the rocky gravel thing they called a private road from her house. She drove past the place leaving her neighborhood, so not really an incovenience.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by lmo1131 View Post
    It must be illegal to park an automobile in a garage in the State of California. It must be... riding around all I ever see in open garages is stuff.
    My daughters 1950's Redondo Beach house was designed for a pedal car...no way a modern car can fit and open a door! And yes, full of bikes and surfboards and anything but a vehicle...just like every other house in the area.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Cowboyatheart
    Quote Originally Posted by burn-e View Post
    Its not a good idea to leave one vehicle out in the driveway where I live. Certainly not a motorcycle..
    Why? We need more information to provide possible solutions that might make sense?
    Moringa, your body & brain will thank you! PM for discounts Smart Mix at TasteMoringa.com
    XM3 Energy, real energy for the body & brain, no sugar high, XM3.Energy

Amen

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    Both my bikes (R12GSA and another R12GSA with a Hannigan sidecar) park in the garage because that is a place of honor. The cars are parked outside in the rain, snow, sleet and ice.
    My 2013 Passat is sitting in the snow covered driveway will my R1100GS and R90/6 sidecar rig (Ural) are basking in my garage.

It's a matter of priorities........
    Dr. Raoul Duke
    1999 R1100GSA
    1974 R90/6 with Ural Sidecar

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."

‘«ŰHunter S. Thompson