Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: final drive stripped drain bolt

stripped final drive filler plug on R1150RT

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Some of these sit flush or slightly recessed to the EVO FD housings...not much room to do much, especially with orientation of location.
    Still think best course is the correct Torx tapped fully in as mentioned earlier.
    Hello all,
    I accidentally stripped the filler plug on my 2002 R1150RT when trying to open it. The stripped part was where the Allen key was inserted, not the outer threads. The plug is made of pretty soft aluminum, so one has to be careful when tightening it. This is what I tried to loosen the thing:
    - Cutting a groove on one side of the plug with a dremel tool, then using that small groove to tap the plug with a large screw driver and a hammer. It didn't work.

- Getting a torx set with a number of sizes. The torx 40 fit snuggly. I tapped it in with a hammer (easy!), applied the socket wrench, and with one determined yank the plug came lose.

I had also applied heat with a heat gun and used a little bit of Blasters penetrating oil. Not sure it that helped.

Good luck!!

Had a similar problem with a Boxster oil drain plug, which are notorious for stripping. I tried an extractor, but the opening in the plug was too shallow for the extractor to properly engage. I was unwilling to drill it deeper. I used a dremel cut-off wheel to put a notch in the surface of the plug, engaged it with a chisel, and with a few gentle taps using a ball peen hammer, it came loose. BTW, you are not the first to confuse the hex and torx plugs on the final drive.

Drain Plug Fix

Weld a nut on the old plug and extract. Use low heat and start by building up a peg to file the nut. Done this on many plugs on various bikes I have owned. Now I use good torque wrenches on all fasteners and make sure I have the proper wrench/socket/screwdriver. No issues for a few years. Just jinxed myself....
    David Nicholls
    Teulon Manitoba - Canada

2015 R1200GSA-LC

Left-handed bit

A left-handed bit grabs pretty well. I've got them in several sizes for emergencies. Decide what size you need by sticking some drill bits into the hole, then get a left-handed bit a little bigger than that, and perhaps the next larger size, too. It will likely come out. You can find these in tool shops (real ones like Hall Tool, not Harbor Freight.) If you have no such shops locally, then Ebay will have them.

If you drill all the way through--and it still doesn't come out--you can use an easy out on it. But you will have to flush the gear case to get any chips out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    The fill plug is allen, but the drain plug is a torx.
    Geez, what a weird thing to do. The weirder thing to do is make the threads so similar in drain and fill, but not the same, such that the unsuspecting party may crossthread them. I'm pretty sure the dealer started to do this on mine '16 since when I commenced to doing my own FD oil change I found the drain plug exceeding tight to remove and reinstall. I just did the service again and voila a see a 1/2" long piece of aluminum thread dangling out the bottom of the drain hole. Fortunately it seals.

Weld it

Quote Originally Posted by airride View Post
    Hey guys I have a problem, stripped the final drive drain bolt/plug not the threads but the allen socket. I am not sure what to do to get it out, only thing I can think of is to heat it up with heat gun and take a small cold chisel or screw driver and tap on it to back plug out. I certainly don't want to damage the final drive housing. I hope that no one has had this problem and then again! It would be a 300 mile trip on a trailer to dealer, which is what I may have to do, any help would be appreciated

Bob
    I have in the past elder a nut on a rear drive drain plug and used a wrench to remove. Worked well list use low heat and try to weld a post first then weld the nut to the post.
    David Nicholls
    Teulon Manitoba - Canada

2015 R1200GSA-LC