Thread: Body Plastic from Hong Kong

Body Plastic from Hong Kong

I need the left side for my K1200S. I have yet to find one on eBay but there are plastic or ABS kits from Hong Kong. They are around $400. Does anyone have any experience with them?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bodywork-Ful...pYd1qf&vxp=mtr

A lot of views and no thoughts

My only experience is from some carbon fiber pieces that came on H's 12S...the belly pan in particular was very thin compared to name brand equivalents we have. Seems someone complained about fitment issues at the fasteners the time it came up here. I'll try to locate that long ago thread

The wise guy answer would be check one out and let us know.

Finding used ones is very hit-n-miss on these models. What color are you in search of? Went thru all of this on a Wedge K12GT recently.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

I am looking for the yellow and black. Plus the bellu pan. Any help is appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by tycham View Post
    I am looking for the yellow and black. Plus the bellu pan. Any help is appreciated
    I have a buds yellow/black from a lowside hanging in my Tree of Shame

Have you tried looking here ?
    http://www.i-bmw.com/
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Send a PM to El Barto in this thread to see if he would sell his belly pan.
    http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=60237
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

I checked the classifieds on i-BMW and did not see a side panel, but you should place a Want to Buy Ad there.
    http://www.i-bmw.com/classifieds/index.php
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

Do not fail to remember that in today's world, the Chinese can always make an inferior thing that is cheaper.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I know that and its why I am asking if anyone has experience with them. Made in China is not the kiss of death to quality as evidenced by the phone you probably have, computers, etc. I would rather have the BMW parts but I also want to fix the bike.

Are you looking for a undamaged panel ?
    Can yours be repainted, or is it cracked beyond repair.
    If you repaint you can buy the stickers from BMW but they are not cheap, seems like $200 or more per side.

This ebay page has a yellow and black panel that needs paint and stickers.
    There's also a black panel.
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...iring&_sacat=0
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

Mine is gone. And it is the Bumble scheme to I could paint it but I think it would never match. If I can find one and the price is right I would try

Quote Originally Posted by tycham View Post
    Mine is gone. And it is the Bumble scheme to I could paint it but I think it would never match. If I can find one and the price is right I would try
    I edited my post #9 while you were typing.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

I don't know about plastic panels...

I bought a set of replacement integrated mirror/turn signals for my Aprilia that came from China. They were far from excellent but they met the good enough standard for the money.

I bought left side valve cover for my RT a few years ago. The paint finish was a little brighter (they probably matched the color code from the automotive sector which is a tiny bit different). Surface finish was mostly smooth but did have some very small imperfections in the clear coat.. I could see porosity in some of the non-machined areas. This clearly would not be acceptable for OEM but again, good enough.

A year later I gently set the bike down and scuffed the left valve cover again. I ordered one off ebay - coming from China. The first one had a similar color mismatch but porosity was worse. Most of all the threads for the oil fill cap were cross threaded. I returned the part and ordered from a different buyer. Another part came and the threads were worse so back it went. I ordered another from a seller allegedly in the UK. The part arrived from China

Of this latest batch the filler cap would actually seat down and seal.

I guess it depends on what kind of final fit and finish you can be happy with... If you are looking for 100% then better call the dealer. If you will accept less then 100% clean parts then... the get what you pay for axiom applies.
    I've been around since 2008. I moved away for a while and now that I'm back you all changed the forum on me!