• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

NAV V is 87% full. Is that normal?

watermelon

I have just one short route with just points at the beginning and the end on it. It seems that there should be less than 87% used up. Is that normal and maybe that the actual routes don't add much?

When you get the NAV V, it has a whole bunch of files in its memory that you don't need and can erase to free up space. There is a copy of basecamp on it for example (actually one for windows and one for Macs if I remember correctly), as well as pdf's of the manuals and voice files for all of the supported languages. I deleted the programs (basecamp), the manuals and the unused voice files and got a whole bunch of memory freed up.

If you loaded all of the maps for North America on it, that 87% could be very true.

You will need to put a SD card into the slot and then you will have all the room you want.

If you are going to use it for music and such.

You are correct as I understand it, that routes are not very large.

I don't know anything about using SD cards. -don't even know where the slot would be. It looks like I got some learnin' to do.

I don't know anything about using SD cards. -don't even know where the slot would be. It looks like I got some learnin' to do.

Do what Bob says and delete unneeded files to free up memory. You many need to google this to learn more about what files you can afford to delete and cause no problems for yourself. If you aren't loading new maps then you will find routes you create don't use hardly any memory, and what's more, you can delete routes/trips you don't need to keep after traveling them. I see no need for add'l memory from adding an SD card, and again that is because I only have the current map for the USA.

Do you not have the manual? Here's an excerpt:

"Installing a Memory Card
NOTE: The device supports microSD, microSDHC, and microSDXC memory cards. It does not support exFAT. Memory cards must be formatted as FAT32.
1 Remove the back cover and the battery from the device.
2 Insert a memory card into the slot on the device.
3 Press it in until it clicks."

I would recommend you take the device to somebody that knows its file system. For a person not ready to insert an SD card, deleting files might lead to real problems.

Just google the issue and you will get ample instructions from zumoforums and other on exactly what can be deleted and how to do it. That's what i did and I have more than ample free memory.

Back