• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Planning a tour of Europe next summer.

enigma625

My friend and I are planning a motorcycle tour of Europe next summer. Our plans call for 5 weeks of riding and visiting friends along the way. Because of the duration of this ride we don't believe it's economically viable to rent bikes there at a typical cost of 100 USD or more a day for machine, and probably closer to 150 USD for what we're riding and accustomed to. 5 weeks is a long time but we're looking forward to it.

Our current plan is to start in Ireland and return back to the states from Southern Italy. Though not locked in we'll be passing through Ireland, Scotland, UK, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Austria and Italy

We checked into Air Canada Freight and found it's the least expensive and most flexible carrier for our needs. We just need to do a day trip from the NYC area to Toronto to get to them.

Anyway my question is this. Has anyone done this type of ride with the US Spec bikes? With the exception of driving licenses and insurance that will cover our legal obligations in Europe, are there any issues that we need to overcome as far as the bikes go? Lighting, Horns, Tires, Windscreens... that sort of thing.

If anyone knows of a website or book where I can find some information on this would be helpful.
Any productive thoughts would be appreciated

We checked into Air Canada Freight and found it's the least expensive and most flexible carrier for our needs.

Sounds like an awesome trip! I'm very curious about what it costs to ship the bikes via Air Canada. Can you share any details with us?

Sounds like an awesome trip! I'm very curious about what it costs to ship the bikes via Air Canada. Can you share any details with us?

I wont speak for him, but I believe it was last year that Air Canada started a program whereby you'd get a good deal on the cost of shipping a bike to Europe during the summer months (there is a special rate if you also fly Air Canada). For 2016, there were four departure airports (Toronto, Montreal, Calgary and Vancouver). Bear in mind that our American friends are also benefitting from the current exchange rate between the Canadian and U.S. dollars, so the price may be particularly attractive for them.

See 2016 details here: https://www.aircanada.com/cargo/shared/documents/ACC381_Procedure_QA_Moto_ENG_062015.pdf

Back