• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Newish Member- Portland, Oregon

tanukipdx

I was a member years ago, and am finally back!

My Dad has been on here for years, although I don't think he is active on the forums.

We had an R65LS and I believe a late model R100RS. I was never super into the BMW Bikes as a kid because I liked racing and my Dad never had cool race bikes, they all seemed kinda normal to me. One day we were at a dealer in Idaho and I laid my eyes on a brand new ROCKSTER! It was just like my dad's R65LS, but actually super cool looking. That gave me some interest in the BMW bike line finally!

Not mine, but I still wish I had one:
2.jpg

I learned to ride on a Honda Trail 70 (Sorry no pics), but didn't really ever ride a real motorcycle till I was 21 and picked up a brand spanking new Honda CBR 600RR! I LOVED that bike and put on over 8,000 miles in my first 3 months of ownership. If I wasn't in school or working, I was on the bike. That was all I did.
1.jpg

After I was done with my racing days, I decided to just pick up the ultimate mall cruiser, a 2009 R1. I hated the bike. It was a great track toy, but horrible for everything else.
3.jpg

After selling the R1 I wanted to start looking into something a bit more street oriented. I liked the power the R1 offered, especially for riding with my wife pretty much everywhere I went, but I wanted something more comfortable. So after a lot of looking around, I decided on a preowned K1200R. I don't know what possessed me to buy that particular bike. The power was awesome, but he transmission was really clunky, and the bike was way too big for me. I felt like I was riding a wave runner around on the streets. That being said, it is still the bike my wife liked the most. It was the most comfortable of them all to her.

4.jpg

After the K1200R I was wanting something with similar power, but more light weight/ nimble. I liked the K1200R a lot, but we often found ourselves on dirt roads or fun twisty's but the bike just didnt do it for me. I searched far and wide, but had a hard time deciding on a bike. Ducati had just released the Streetfighters, but I couldn't fathom spending that kind of money on a bike. Even if I could fathom it, I couldn't afford it. Eventually I went with a New 2009 Triumph Speed Triple that had been on the showroom for a year or so at BMW of Salt Lake, and just not sold, so I got a deal on it in 2010 as a new bike with maybe 80 miles on the clock. The bike was fun, but just a bit too light and close to no rear seat for my wife to ride along. I eventually sold it as It was not the best fit for me. It was a great bike, but I never fell in love with it.

6.jpg

I took about a year off from my motorcycle ownership after selling the Triple. Life got busy and I really didn't know what I wanted. When I started to look again it was between a Bluefire S1000RR and a pre owned streetfighter. The S1000RR was nearing the end of its model year and really hard to find. I found a dealer with maybe the last one on the showroom down in California. They were not helpful at all, so I ended going with the 1098 Streetfighter that was local to me. THE BIKE WAS AMAZING. I have never loved a bike as much as I loved that Streetfighter. I did some mods to the bike and rode it all the time. I once again fell in love with the bike the way I had loved my original CBR 600RR. Perfect weight, power, and a lot of attitude. Because the grass is always greener, I started wondering about the S1000RR again though. So regretfully, I sold the Streetfighter so that I could pick up a 2015 S1000RR.

7.jpg

Last year I purchased the S1000RR brand new from Hansen's Motorcycles in Medford, OR. Those guys were amazing to work with and I would recommend them to any of you. The bike was everything I ever dreamed of. I really liked riding it a lot. I was doing 300-600 mile rides in a day and was comfortable and excited to ride the bike. This year I decided to pull the trigger on a 2016 R1200GS to accompany my S1000RR in the stable. A few months into owning the R1200GS, I started to realize that I was never riding the S1000RR. I am not sure what the deal was, but I felt like the GS could handle everything for me. I liked riding it in the street and started dabbling with the dirt. After about 4 months with the GS, I decided to go back to just one bike, and sold the S1000RR!!! I kind of regret selling the S1000RR now, but I still can't decide if I preferred it over the Streetfighter. The electronics were great, but there was something about that twin with the dry clutch that I was in love with. I am planning on picking up another super sport bike in the next year or two to accompany the GS, but I don't know what I want yet. There are so many changes, and I have a feeling that the next generation of S1000RR will be worth waiting for.

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

I have really started taking a liking to ADV riding. I don't know that I prefer it to street rides, but it sure is addicting.

Anyways, now you know ALL ABOUT ME. I am new. Please accept me into your community :)

Back