Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First Aid Kits

First Aid Kits

Well, most here talk about how ATGATT is the only way to go, ride like they are out to kill you, and other less than desireable outcomes. Is there a first aid kit in that plan?

I am due a new first aid kit, my current one has some age and could use some upgrading and refreshing. Main contents are around 10 years old now...maybe not as pristine and sterile as once was.

Who actually carries a kit and what do you have?
    Have carried one from my early years after picking many a bud out of the ditches or gravel...and yes, a few band-aids or ointment for me. I went through my big travel kit that has supplied sting kill swabs to butterfly bandages to a benadryl for a bud with insect reactions.

I guess I get some use out of mine regularly enough to try and get a decent kit.Not an EMT level by any means, but after many first aid classes in my former career and real time first on the scene situations has me wanting to always be prepared, hoping not to need it as my glass is always on the half full side.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

I carry one but like your kit the years are starting to show.

Mine doubles as a backpacking and rock climbing kit. It can cover basic stuff from scrapes and diarrhea but also includes a suture kit. Thankfully I have never need to use that.

If nothing else thanks for the reminder. I should probably update the contents of mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    I usually have a number of them rolling in and out of service. It's good to keep them fresh.
    Off the top of my head-

Name brand cloth band aids
    Neosporin ointment
    tweezers
    space blanket
    full size and or "lite" Kotex
    triangle sling
    "Quick Klot"
    Ace bandage
    toilet paper
    alcohol swabs or wipes
    Advil- anti inflammatory RX dose is 800mg
    rubber gloves
    a couple of zip-lock bags
    if you don't carry tape....tape

These supplies have multiple uses.....Stop the bleeding......immobilize the injury......Keep the victim warm and slow down any shock.
    Much of this will pack nicely in a plastic large sized peanut butter jar (which can be used as a cup).
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Rally Rat

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    I usually have a number of them rolling in and out of service. It's good to keep them fresh.
    Off the top of my head-

Neosporin ointment
    tweezers
    space blanket
    triangle sling
    "Quick Klot"
    Ace bandage
    toilet paper
    alcohol swabs or wipes
    rubber gloves

These supplies have multiple uses.....Stop the bleeding......immobilize the injury......Keep the victim warm and slow down any shock.
    Much of this will pack nicely in a plastic large sized peanut butter jar (which can be used as a cup).
    OM

That's a good list. Two minor comments: in the ER (I was an EMT-DM and ER-Tech for 11 years), we NEVER used Neosporin - actually promoted bacterial growth. Only use Polysporin.

Secondly, carry some "Liquid Band-Aid." Great for stopping bleeding on avulsions, common when exiting a motorcycle unintentionally or tearing up your knuckles fixing a problem out on the road.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwald View Post
    That's a good list. Two minor comments: in the ER (I was an EMT-DM and ER-Tech for 11 years), we NEVER used Neosporin - actually promoted bacterial growth. Only use Polysporin.

Secondly, carry some "Liquid Band-Aid." Great for stopping bleeding on avulsions, common when exiting a motorcycle unintentionally or tearing up your knuckles fixing a problem out on the road.
    Thanks Kevin-
    I don't have any experience with Polysporin but do know those that use it with good results.
    As for the "liquid Band-Aid", I haven't had good luck with few times I've used it. I do use Super Glue to close wounds......especially cracked skin on my old hands when the weather turns cold (drier).
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

We carry IFAK kits with several added items, aspirin, benadryl, quikclot
    Complete kit can be purchased on Amazon for about $50

Been using cayenne pepper for years on road rash, mostly mountain biking. Stops bleeding instantly. No it doesn't sting, nerve endings are already dead. Finely ground from the spice isle in grocery store

These are great gifts and have room to add more stuff https://www.walmart.com/ip/Justin-Ca...d-Kit/30253160
    Go like hell, You'll get there quicker
    05-GS Rock Red 107k miles
    2013 TW200
    2018 Yamaha X-MAX

The only knock on some of the kits offered on a couple of familiar M/C sites is a low number of items per type.
    1 Tylenol, 2- 2x2 gauze pads, 2 -1" band aids...well, you get my drift. For a day trip that's OK. I'm used to having a bigger count so not having to remember to re-stock so often.

I'll look at the IFAK offerings.

My current kit is about the size of a canvas bank bag.

Reading about the cayenne pepper reminded me of always having some Adolf's Meat Tenderizer in a glove box, tackle box or in the large FA kit on my boat to handle jellyfish stings ...used to get a lot of questionable looks having it in my Jeep

Quote Originally Posted by SHAG View Post
    These are great gifts and have room to add more stuff https://www.walmart.com/ip/Justin-Ca...d-Kit/30253160

I like the pouch, it's a decent assortment of supplies, but I'll pass. The name is cute, fine for marketing, but the actual case should clearly state "First Aid", preferably with a cross. If someone is sent to my car to grab the First Aid kit, they are likely to pass that by, thinking it is Bieber CDs, or a poncho or emergency tampons, or somesuch. There is no time for confusion in an emergency.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Rally Rat

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post

I like the pouch, it's a decent assortment of supplies, but I'll pass. The name is cute, fine for marketing, but the actual case should clearly state "First Aid", preferably with a cross. If someone is sent to my car to grab the First Aid kit, they are likely to pass that by, thinking it is Bieber CDs, or a poncho or emergency tampons, or somesuch. There is no time for confusion in an emergency.
    I disagree.

Should your 'kit' be mistaken for Justin Bieber CD's, the mere thought of that could produce necessary vomiting, should you have ingested a deadly substance!

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar

First Aid Kits

Quote Originally Posted by greenwald View Post
    I disagree.

Should your 'kit' be mistaken for Justin Bieber CD's, the mere thought of that could produce necessary vomiting, should you have ingested a deadly substance!

I am pretty sure I would not WANT anybody offering me first aid assistance who couldn't distinguish a Justin Bieber CD from a first aid kit !! It's not that hard....one contains band aids, the other badly needs band aid.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

Rally Rat

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Friedle View Post
    I am pretty sure I would not WANT anybody offering me first aid assistance who couldn't distinguish a Justin Bieber CD from a first aid kit !! It's not that hard....one contains band aids, the other badly needs band aid.

Friedle

Clever humor!

I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Off the top of my head-

Neosporin ointment
    tweezers
    space blanket
    triangle sling
    "Quick Klot"
    Ace bandage
    toilet paper
    alcohol swabs or wipes
    rubber gloves

OM
    My kit contains most of the above, plus a blood clotting trauma kit:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hope I never have to use it...

Some good ideas, thanks.
    Kind of thinking not many of us carry anything...except that phone and credit card approach
    Maybe it will make some at least think about it.

My current set up has a blue cover, but does say what it is...and I am usually the one grabbing it and responding so not worried about a Bieb moment.
    Our metal cased ones on our fleet vehicles were white and only had a logo on them...most of us put a red cross on them thru the years and tried to put them in a common location...a big peeve of mine when I was a supervisor and did a safety check. Digging it out from under a pile of crud behind the seat was not acceptable.

I am about due for a refresher course as well, been a few years since last formal class. A good club event this time of year