Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 63

Thread: 2018 Site Contender

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Lanark County near Ottawa ON
    Posts
    158

    2018 Site Contender


  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwroadsterca View Post
    Good. Then I could actually sleep in a real bed at our daughter's house. And bring our teenage grandsons to the rally.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  3. #3
    Ed Kilner #176066
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Mississauga, ON
    Posts
    1,047
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwroadsterca View Post
    Tried to follow link; video is private, so can't see it.
    Ed
    2015 R1200RT; 2011 R1200RT RIP; 2000 Triumph 900 (sold)
    http://triumphantsblog.blogspot.ca/

  4. #4
    Liaison 20774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    20,246
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW Triumphant View Post
    Tried to follow link; video is private, so can't see it.
    Status of the video has changed since the original post.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Status of the video has changed since the original post.
    It was a promo piece for Des Moines, Iowa.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Lanark County near Ottawa ON
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW Triumphant View Post
    Tried to follow link; video is private, so can't see it.
    Ha! This was a video prepared by Des Moines promoting itself as host for the 2018 BMWMOA Rally. Apparently the creators inadvertently put it on YouTube with no access restrictions and then discovered it was being viewed by the masses and changed it to private.

    We will learn whether Des Moines succeeds in due course.

    mike

  7. #7
    Registered User 160860's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    WDM, IA
    Posts
    36

    Thumbs down I hope not

    Quote Originally Posted by bmwroadsterca View Post
    I cannot see how this could make the final cut and would hope the selection committee would reach out to the members in any proposed area for their input. From my local perspective living in Iowa and the Des Moines area and in Nebraska in the Omaha area for the past 16 years, there are much better options in the mid-west. There is a reason why even2-Day weekend rides are done out of state. It is an area great for farmers of corn and wind but not 2-wheeled happiness or adventures.

    Here are my initial Pro’s & Con’s which I cutoff to keep from rambling …..

    Pro’s
    - The Iowa State Fair grounds in Des Moines are what help make it the one of the best state fairs in the country, great facilities
    - Small city, light traffic, great people
    - Downtown Des Moines has great places to eat and some outstanding brew pubs & tap rooms
    - The Loess Hills on the Western border offer some minor elevation changes and a few turns both on and off pavement, to include some minimum maintenance (no-gravel) B-Level roads


    Con’s
    - Located in the center of the mid-west, if anyone didn’t notice the plains are FLAT and the roads are straight
    - There are NO twisties in the state, a few areas with sweepers but those are short lived and along the border river areas
    - Lack of elevation changes, the glaciers of the ice age did a rather effective job of flattening the land.
    - There is a reason Butler Maps doesn’t have a map for Iowa
    - No National forests to ride in period
    - No of State forests with trails to ride
    - State parks do NOT allow motorized vehicles
    - State is NOT a supporter of the power sports industry, riders are restricted to small patches of state riding parks or private club lands
    - Nothing worthwhile is within walking distance of the fairgrounds as it is in the older side of town near an industrial area
    - After riding in 36 states and 3 Canadian provinces, Iowa is by far the buggiest, better bring plenty of your favorite visor cleaner and bug repellant
    - Thousands of miles of crushed limestone gravel roads through cornfields do not make an adventure ride
    - The Loess Hills (depending on point) are two hours to the West and only offer about two hours worth of riding interesting riding requiring another two hours of flat, straight road to return to Des Moines.
    Although the state is bordered by two large rivers there are no scenic river roads that follow these rivers due to the geographic area (flood plains) along them. The best Mississippi river riding in along the Wisconsin side.

    With that said the best prospect for the GS Giants is to head south down to the Mark Twain National Forest area in MO for the round up as there is at least some good on/off pavement riding down south.
    Dutch
    11 R1200GSA, 13 F800GS
    16 KTM 500EXC 6Days, 17 Beta X-Trainer

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by 160860 View Post
    I cannot see how this could make the final cut and would hope the selection committee would reach out to the members in any proposed area for their input. From my local perspective living in Iowa and the Des Moines area and in Nebraska in the Omaha area for the past 16 years, there are much better options in the mid-west. There is a reason why even2-Day weekend rides are done out of state. It is an area great for farmers of corn and wind but not 2-wheeled happiness or adventures.

    Here are my initial Pro’s & Con’s which I cutoff to keep from rambling …..

    Pro’s
    - The Iowa State Fair grounds in Des Moines are what help make it the one of the best state fairs in the country, great facilities
    - Small city, light traffic, great people
    - Downtown Des Moines has great places to eat and some outstanding brew pubs & tap rooms
    - The Loess Hills on the Western border offer some minor elevation changes and a few turns both on and off pavement, to include some minimum maintenance (no-gravel) B-Level roads


    Con’s
    - Located in the center of the mid-west, if anyone didn’t notice the plains are FLAT and the roads are straight
    - There are NO twisties in the state, a few areas with sweepers but those are short lived and along the border river areas
    - Lack of elevation changes, the glaciers of the ice age did a rather effective job of flattening the land.
    - There is a reason Butler Maps doesn’t have a map for Iowa
    - No National forests to ride in period
    - No of State forests with trails to ride
    - State parks do NOT allow motorized vehicles
    - State is NOT a supporter of the power sports industry, riders are restricted to small patches of state riding parks or private club lands
    - Nothing worthwhile is within walking distance of the fairgrounds as it is in the older side of town near an industrial area
    - After riding in 36 states and 3 Canadian provinces, Iowa is by far the buggiest, better bring plenty of your favorite visor cleaner and bug repellant
    - Thousands of miles of crushed limestone gravel roads through cornfields do not make an adventure ride
    - The Loess Hills (depending on point) are two hours to the West and only offer about two hours worth of riding interesting riding requiring another two hours of flat, straight road to return to Des Moines.
    Although the state is bordered by two large rivers there are no scenic river roads that follow these rivers due to the geographic area (flood plains) along them. The best Mississippi river riding in along the Wisconsin side.

    With that said the best prospect for the GS Giants is to head south down to the Mark Twain National Forest area in MO for the round up as there is at least some good on/off pavement riding down south.
    Not quite that bad but I get the point. But compared to Bloomsburg or even SLC it would be a big improvement. I have only missed one national in 32 years. Voni has missed none. I have done seminars for going on 20 years. But from here on out I will be selective. If the Board approves dumb choices I won't be there. There are too many good choices to put up with any more Bloomsburgs. Not ever.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  9. #9
    Registered User AKsuited's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southern Tier of New York
    Posts
    1,865
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Not quite that bad but I get the point. But compared to Bloomsburg or even SLC it would be a big improvement.
    The appeal of SLC to me is the riding I can do on the way there: Colorado and Utah, and maybe swing up to the Tetons before heading east and home. Like they say, it isn't the destination, it's the journey.

    Bloomsburg would have been a short trip for me but it was just too hot, the hottest ever for this area, so I stayed home.

    Harry

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    The appeal of SLC to me is the riding I can do on the way there: Colorado and Utah, and maybe swing up to the Tetons before heading east and home. Like they say, it isn't the destination, it's the journey.
    Harry
    We do that every summer, sometimes two or three times.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  11. #11
    Rally Rat
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Sheboygan, WI
    Posts
    5,320

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by 160860 View Post
    I cannot see how this could make the final cut and would hope the selection committee would reach out to the members in any proposed area for their input. From my local perspective living in Iowa and the Des Moines area and in Nebraska in the Omaha area for the past 16 years, there are much better options in the mid-west. There is a reason why even2-Day weekend rides are done out of state. It is an area great for farmers of corn and wind but not 2-wheeled happiness or adventures.

    Here are my initial Pro’s & Con’s which I cutoff to keep from rambling …..

    Pro’s
    - The Iowa State Fair grounds in Des Moines are what help make it the one of the best state fairs in the country, great facilities
    - Small city, light traffic, great people
    - Downtown Des Moines has great places to eat and some outstanding brew pubs & tap rooms
    - The Loess Hills on the Western border offer some minor elevation changes and a few turns both on and off pavement, to include some minimum maintenance (no-gravel) B-Level roads


    Con’s
    - Located in the center of the mid-west, if anyone didn’t notice the plains are FLAT and the roads are straight
    - There are NO twisties in the state, a few areas with sweepers but those are short lived and along the border river areas
    - Lack of elevation changes, the glaciers of the ice age did a rather effective job of flattening the land.
    - There is a reason Butler Maps doesn’t have a map for Iowa
    - No National forests to ride in period
    - No of State forests with trails to ride
    - State parks do NOT allow motorized vehicles
    - State is NOT a supporter of the power sports industry, riders are restricted to small patches of state riding parks or private club lands
    - Nothing worthwhile is within walking distance of the fairgrounds as it is in the older side of town near an industrial area
    - After riding in 36 states and 3 Canadian provinces, Iowa is by far the buggiest, better bring plenty of your favorite visor cleaner and bug repellant
    - Thousands of miles of crushed limestone gravel roads through cornfields do not make an adventure ride
    - The Loess Hills (depending on point) are two hours to the West and only offer about two hours worth of riding interesting riding requiring another two hours of flat, straight road to return to Des Moines.
    Although the state is bordered by two large rivers there are no scenic river roads that follow these rivers due to the geographic area (flood plains) along them. The best Mississippi river riding in along the Wisconsin side.

    With that said the best prospect for the GS Giants is to head south down to the Mark Twain National Forest area in MO for the round up as there is at least some good on/off pavement riding down south.
    Totally agree.

    Understand, I've enjoyed Iowa on two wheels immensely, but only because I had friends or destinations worthy of a visit. The State Fair is "the best state fair in that state," the Field of Dreams in Dyersville, acquaintances in Ft. Dodge and Marshalltown, Motorcycle Museum in Amarosa, eagle-watching near Dubuque, etc.

    But knowing the 'wander-lust' of MOA members, Iowa not much of a terrain challenge.

    Not to mention the pace there is unworldly. In a phenomenon that Einstein failed to explain, if you observe your wristwatch while in Iowa, time actually slows down. Iowans also drive that way, which would definitely frustrate this crowd. They even have mile-long "acceleration ramps" to some of their interstates, so as not to be in any rush (I actually wrote about this peculiarity in a recent article I provide to another motorcycle publication I write for).

    I'd say skip Des Moines and look for rural areas with roads that excite those of us on two wheels.

    And in the spirit of Jim Bowie, Davy Crocket and others, "Remember Bloomsburg!"

  12. #12
    Rally Rat 1074's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    479

    Location, Location, Location

    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Not quite that bad but I get the point. But compared to Bloomsburg or even SLC it would be a big improvement. I have only missed one national in 32 years. Voni has missed none. I have done seminars for going on 20 years. But from here on out I will be selective. If the Board approves dumb choices I won't be there. There are too many good choices to put up with any more Bloomsburgs. Not ever.
    Now Paul,
    You're one of the last people I'd expect to finger Bloomsburg as a poor choice! Nobody expected the weather to be that bad! The area has a lot of great roads and things to see. If the weather had been more cooperative, Bloomsburg would have gone down as one of the best!
    As far as SLC, I wouldn't want to pass judgement before the fact. There's some good riding to be had there too.
    The necessary criteria for locating a National Rally site eliminates a lot of terrific locations. You can't always get what you want.
    Boxerbruce

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by 1074 View Post
    Now Paul,
    You're one of the last people I'd expect to finger Bloomsburg as a poor choice! Nobody expected the weather to be that bad! The area has a lot of great roads and things to see. If the weather had been more cooperative, Bloomsburg would have gone down as one of the best!
    As far as SLC, I wouldn't want to pass judgement before the fact. There's some good riding to be had there too.
    The necessary criteria for locating a National Rally site eliminates a lot of terrific locations. You can't always get what you want.
    The problem with Bloomsburg was not just the weather. It was the fact that it was a poor, old, tired, run down facility that had never hosted a group like ours. It had two old buildings with swamp coolers and it had no air conditioning whatsoever, which made the indoor spaces miserable anytime later than about 9:00 am. It was almost as hot in Sedalia but the newer buildings with good air conditioning made the differences like night and day.

    Bloomsburg also had new management that broke promises made when the Board selected the place. All in all it was a horrible choice for a place to go and I mostly blame the Board that chose it for picking such an old, tired, dreary facility.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  14. #14
    Liaison 20774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    20,246
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Bloomsburg also had new management that broke promises made when the Board selected the place.
    I think this was the key. I was there, too, and sure it was hot, the closing ceremonies were even hotter. But my recollection as to facilities is that if the A/C and other features promised had been there, it probably would be just fine. YMMV.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

  15. #15
    Rally Rat Sue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    2,197
    Des Moines, eh? Maybe it will be time to ride the Slash Five to a national rally, and leave the big, fast, newer one at home. Frankly, I've never missed one since 1987 and next year won't be any different, regardless of the location.

    A rally is as good - or as bad - as you make it.
    I always choose to make it GREAT!
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador; Candidate for Director 2018
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •