Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 63

Thread: 2018 Site Contender

  1. #46
    Liaison 20774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    17,678
    Quote Originally Posted by ksrob View Post
    Yeah, I've heard (read) them before. All kinds of excuses. But if the organization wants to have more options on where to go, it will need a changing the timing. If not, then it will be in the norther third of the country.
    To some degree, I believe the motivation of the Getaway events was to move the national rally "feel" around the country and at various times of the year. Of course, they can't compete with the volume and range of exhibits, vendors, etc., that the national does. But you can use them to get your "fix" until the national rolls around again to your neck of the woods.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

  2. #47
    Registered User ksrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    kansas
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    To some degree, I believe the motivation of the Getaway events was to move the national rally "feel" around the country and at various times of the year. Of course, they can't compete with the volume and range of exhibits, vendors, etc., that the national does. But you can use them to get your "fix" until the national rolls around again to your neck of the woods.
    I don't need to get my "fix" by going to a getaway. I can go any time I care to. The getaways are stepping on local events so I don't see them as a replacement for the National.
    Rob Lessen

    '07 R12RT
    '14 R12RT LC

  3. #48
    Rally Rat Sue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    2,185

    The timing of the rally

    After the heat of Bloomsburg, the Board of Directors took some aggressive measures to find out what the members really wanted. We surveyed 2000 randomly chosen members, with 700+ members responding. Yes - our members wanted to be heard!

    We learned that the membership liked the rally dates from ~June 20 through ~July 30. They did NOT want the rally over the 4th of July holiday.
    The vendors preferred the last three weeks of July because they had no other conflicts during that time frame.
    The "Key-Volunteers" - - the people who are the committee chairs year after year - basically liked the same time frame but most of them said they would be there whenever the rally was scheduled.

    Then there is the issue of finding great rally sites that don't have a regular scheduled event for a whole week in the summer.... Fairs, agriculture shows, boat shows: these are their bread and butter events. They might be reluctant to cancel a small, regular annual event for a bigger-but-one-shot deal like the MOA offers.

    Some members liked the idea of the regional events in the spring and in the fall, because they preferred smaller events or they wanted to ride in cooler temps.

    There was so much good information that was garnered in that survey - but it was 5 years ago.
    I was happy to serve on that board, and now I look forward to hearing what our current board has in mind.
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

  4. #49
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    3,745
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    We surveyed 2000 randomly chosen members, with 700+ members responding. Yes - our members wanted to be heard!

    We learned that the membership liked the rally dates from ~June 20 through ~July 30. They did NOT want the rally over the 4th of July holiday.
    We were only given 4 choices from mid June to late July. One choice was July 4th.
    Here's the survey
    http://beemerhill.com/Members-survey-December2012a.pdf


    rally dates.jpg
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  5. #50
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    2,029
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    After the heat of Bloomsburg, the Board of Directors took some aggressive measures to find out what the members really wanted. We surveyed 2000 randomly chosen members, with 700+ members responding. Yes - our members wanted to be heard!

    We learned that the membership liked the rally dates from ~June 20 through ~July 30. They did NOT want the rally over the 4th of July holiday.
    The vendors preferred the last three weeks of July because they had no other conflicts during that time frame.
    The "Key-Volunteers" - - the people who are the committee chairs year after year - basically liked the same time frame but most of them said they would be there whenever the rally was scheduled.

    Then there is the issue of finding great rally sites that don't have a regular scheduled event for a whole week in the summer.... Fairs, agriculture shows, boat shows: these are their bread and butter events. They might be reluctant to cancel a small, regular annual event for a bigger-but-one-shot deal like the MOA offers.

    Some members liked the idea of the regional events in the spring and in the fall, because they preferred smaller events or they wanted to ride in cooler temps.

    There was so much good information that was garnered in that survey - but it was 5 years ago.
    I was happy to serve on that board, and now I look forward to hearing what our current board has in mind.
    Tell me again how did you learn the "membership" liked June 20 through July 30? From a survey with only that time period to vote on? And 43% of those responding had never attended a rally! Not sure which is worse, the survey restrictions or reporting of its findings in such a manner. Wonder what May 15 to June 19 or September 1 to September 30 survey would show? Ya think perhaps the only dates one could vote for? This is referred as "Fake News" now-a-day.
    Last edited by Motodan; 03-08-2017 at 04:28 AM.
    MOA #46783

  6. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    To some degree, I believe the motivation of the Getaway events was to move the national rally "feel" around the country and at various times of the year. Of course, they can't compete with the volume and range of exhibits, vendors, etc., that the national does. But you can use them to get your "fix" until the national rolls around again to your neck of the woods.
    Quote Originally Posted by ksrob View Post
    I don't need to get my "fix" by going to a getaway. I can go any time I care to. The getaways are stepping on local events so I don't see them as a replacement for the National.
    The Getaways were not conceived as events that feel like the national rally, in fact they are intended to broaden our social offering by giving members that can't make a national the opportunity to rub elbows with their fellow riders. They're far more like "hotel rallies" than they are a huge camping-oriented event that's most closely comparable to a trade show.

    Even though I don't personally enjoy them, I think the Getaway events are a great idea. They don't require as much "buy in" as attending a National, but they still emphasize the most valuable part (imo) of the MOA experience: people riding and socializing together, making friends and having a great time.

    If I were asked how to improve them, I'd suggest working together with local clubs and dealers to manage the events instead of flying in a team of board members and paid staff. This would help avoid date/location conflicts, lower operating costs and increase the level of engagement amongst our membership.

    Hey, we are making progress... this year the Fontana Getaway is *two* weekends ahead of the nearby Georgia Mountain Rally!
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '06 HP2e || '07 Xchallenge || '14 Grom

  7. #52
    Rally Rat Sue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    2,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    Tell me again how did you learn the "membership" liked June 20 through July 30? From a survey with only that time period to vote on? And 43% of those responding had never attended a rally! Not sure which is worse, the survey restrictions or reporting of its findings in such a manner. Wonder what May 15 to June 19 or September 1 to September 30 survey would show? Ya think perhaps the only dates one could vote for? This is referred as "Fake News" now-a-day.
    Wow - - that sure went sideways fast.

    There were oh-so many things we learned in that survey.... And yes, the date range was a 6 week margin. So let's talk about why we might have done that:
    Part of this reason is that mountain passes are impossible by motorcycle for more than half the year. So realistically speaking, we can only look at mid-May through mid-September to include anyone who needs to cross the higher mountain ranges. Heck - let's expand that to May 1 through October 1.

    But then there is August, and as the traditionally hottest month of the year, August is not considered a viable date range either.

    So that leaves: May, June, July, and September. For this survey, the board examined the possibility of mid-June through July 31. Maybe it's time for your board to do another survey?

    The Weekend Getaways were created to accommodate the members who wanted something at the time of year that was good for them. I hope that helps. Happily, I have served my time on the board and am proud of what was accomplished during those years. And now I am an elder Stateswoman and will just keep going to the rallies until I can't anymore. Love being accused of Fake News though. thanks. You guys are the best. <-- sarcasm font on
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

  8. #53
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    2,029
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    Wow - - that sure went sideways fast.

    There were oh-so many things we learned in that survey.... And yes, the date range was a 6 week margin. So let's talk about why we might have done that:
    Part of this reason is that mountain passes are impossible by motorcycle for more than half the year. So realistically speaking, we can only look at mid-May through mid-September to include anyone who needs to cross the higher mountain ranges. Heck - let's expand that to May 1 through October 1.

    But then there is August, and as the traditionally hottest month of the year, August is not considered a viable date range either.

    So that leaves: May, June, July, and September. For this survey, the board examined the possibility of mid-June through July 31. Maybe it's time for your board to do another survey?

    The Weekend Getaways were created to accommodate the members who wanted something at the time of year that was good for them. I hope that helps. Happily, I have served my time on the board and am proud of what was accomplished during those years. And now I am an elder Stateswoman and will just keep going to the rallies until I can't anymore. Love being accused of Fake News though. thanks. You guys are the best. <-- sarcasm font on
    Appreciate your response...I guess it was the presentation of those dates being the winners and then having someone state those were the only dates that could have won. It might have been better understood had explanation indicated the winning dates were the only ones survey respondents could pick from.

    Yes another survey from May 15 to September 30 might prove interesting...and hopefully more than 57% of those responding will have already had a Rally experience to consider when voting.

    You enjoy your retirement and Rally attendance.
    MOA #46783

  9. #54
    Lost on purpose! Top_Speed1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Posts
    29
    I attended the last 5 straight National's...
    Look forward to every years announcement. I use to attend daily then flee off to my reserved motel (wifey won't tent), my game plans have since changed to a large RV (45' toy hauler), well ever since Hamburg anyways. I will miss the adventure ride to and from, but I have other rides for that also.

    So diversity in both loca and ride area are welcomed here, and site locations are certainly a very very tough decision. Back to diversity, this comes with our members who attend as well, gaping age ranges (mostly more close to or in the retirement years however as per my observations), and me being in the almost 50 range (yikes!), I just think no matter what is chosen in any given loca we will have upset members. I'm not saying location means nothing because it does, but we also have the other Rally criteria to match up as well. I'm sure there's not 50 site locations begging for us and mainly our wants/needs.

    As far as Rally sites goes, nothing (for me) came close to St.Paul/Minneapolis. Those grounds were simply beautiful and awesome, and one caveat that I look for is paved roads connecting all the dots within the grounds. On the other hand... Billings had the best riding (area) by far for me, but the fair-grounds were very small (it had a great closing arena however!) and too many dusty roads connecting the dots. Hamburg was huge!... but too close to me and I've been to Niagara Falls 500 times. I did not beatch about it however, rather made the most of it and met several new (now lifelong) friends. Amazing times and it's the people who make it for me.

    This will be my first year volunteering (I do however for our local Club every year, it's fun too). Since I'm attending via my RV (and a big one at that!) I figured why not help out my own local close by members park and get situated in the RV slots. These are electric only sites, so water top offs and other needs will sure be arising and need assistance, also being 6-4 and 235lbs, they may want my night-time security abilities as well. Whatever it takes, my wife is in as well but prob not security lol... she's 5-3 and only 105lbs soaking wet!

    Okay, so no beatching from me, I truly appreciate all the effort and time given from our organizers. I'll go/attend where the chairs decide, and will make it happen with a smile and handshakes out for all new and old friends.

    Bring it on wherever it may be, Des Moines included!

    KJ & Debbie Miller
    194402
    Business comes first, riding comes always. One puts bread on the table, the other eats all the bread. Oh well, I'm riding happy!
    Go-Karts 'R' us | Power-Sports Forum

  10. #55
    Kawa Afterthought weschmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    DeSoto MO
    Posts
    582
    I was introduced to the family of BMW rally rats in 2012 after the purchase of a new to me 2001 k 1200 RS. I can't believe the amount of fun I've experienced in the subsequent 4 rallies, with Utah now being my sixth in a row. It doesn't matter to me where it's held as I will make it no matter what. Iowa or Texas, Florida or New Hampshire, I'm ready. My wife has resigned herself to being a July widow but has on occasion been tempted to fly out for a week after the rally of sight seeing in a rental car, and then I get another possible week of riding home to St. Louie. So bring it on, Iowa or where ever, best bang for your motorcycling summer recreational buck on the market. The relationships developed over the years are priceless, no matter what political, religious or motorcycling differences presented around the ring of council fire, the BMW family is truly a community of like minded kindred spirits on two wheels......

  11. #56
    Cowboyatheart
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pender Harbour, B.C.
    Posts
    935
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post

    So that leaves: May, June, July, and September. For this survey, the board examined the possibility of mid-June through July 31. Maybe it's time for your board to do another survey?
    I would agree that another poll,is in order. And how the survey questions are asked shape the answers. So careful thought and consideration needs to be made to the survey structure. I personally would prefer sometime in last half of May to June 23rd/24th or after Labour day weekend in September to 3rd week Sept. July and August is peak heat and peak vacationers and peak hotel prices and on and on.

    I am booked for Salt Lake this year ( hotel anyways) but I am still undecided due to weather (too hot for me) and costs due to summer pricing. Nope I don't tent.

    Weather Statitics for SLC..

    https://www.yr.no/place/United_State...tatistics.html
    Moringa, your body & brain will thank you! PM for discounts Smart Mix at TasteMoringa.com
    XM3 Energy, real energy for the body & brain, no sugar high, XM3.Energy

  12. #57
    Lost on purpose! Top_Speed1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Posts
    29
    Seems most folks use Beer for air-conditioners at these Rally's. With that being said, anything under Bloomsburg's temps will be welcomed by most.

    But, going to early (or later) dates could maybe expand the regions; like more South, or could just make cooler/cold(er) camping. Most camping via tents just may prefer the warmer temps vs the cooler or colder temps.

    Hard to please 'em all!
    Business comes first, riding comes always. One puts bread on the table, the other eats all the bread. Oh well, I'm riding happy!
    Go-Karts 'R' us | Power-Sports Forum

  13. #58
    Registered User dabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    Des Moines, eh? Maybe it will be time to ride the Slash Five to a national rally, and leave the big, fast, newer one at home. Frankly, I've never missed one since 1987 and next year won't be any different, regardless of the location.

    A rally is as good - or as bad - as you make it.
    I always choose to make it GREAT!

    I agree with Sue. This will be only my 3rd Rally. From Fairbanks everything is a long ride and I just didn't have that much time very often. I retire in 4 more weeks. From here until I can't ride anymore, I'm going to catch every one. And I don't care where they are, I'll have fun. When I went to my first MOA Rally in Sedalia, upon arrival I wrote to my wife and said "I've finally found my tribe." Yes, it's about the quality of the facilities. And yes, it's about how many great riding roads are within easy striking distance. But mainly it's about the people. And all those bikes. And just sitting around in your "tent neighborhood" meeting people for the first time . . . that you've known all your life.
    Mike Gray #103649
    2000 K1200LTC
    2014 F700GS
    2016 R1200RT

  14. #59
    Registered User gsinnc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by dabubba View Post
    I agree with Sue. This will be only my 3rd Rally. From Fairbanks everything is a long ride and I just didn't have that much time very often. I retire in 4 more weeks. From here until I can't ride anymore, I'm going to catch every one. And I don't care where they are, I'll have fun. When I went to my first MOA Rally in Sedalia, upon arrival I wrote to my wife and said "I've finally found my tribe." Yes, it's about the quality of the facilities. And yes, it's about how many great riding roads are within easy striking distance. But mainly it's about the people. And all those bikes. And just sitting around in your "tent neighborhood" meeting people for the first time . . . that you've known all your life.
    Well put and congrats on retirement! I retired 4 weeks AGO and so far am loving it. At the Hamburg Rally last year when we heard 2017 was Salt Lake my wingman and I said "WOW we are in!" Unfortunately my wingman has had to cancel but I said "I am committed to go and am retired" so I will be making most of the ride solo and my longest solo ever. While I prefer riding with my buddy I think going solo will be a real adventure. At the Rally and on the road it truly is about the people you meet! Look forward to seeing you on the road!
    Ed Apelian
    When Life Throws You a Curve Lean into it!
    2012 R1200GSA Magma Red!
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

  15. #60
    Registered User beemerron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Woodland, WA
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by gsinnc View Post
    Well put and congrats on retirement! I retired 4 weeks AGO and so far am loving it. At the Hamburg Rally last year when we heard 2017 was Salt Lake my wingman and I said "WOW we are in!" Unfortunately my wingman has had to cancel but I said "I am committed to go and am retired" so I will be making most of the ride solo and my longest solo ever. While I prefer riding with my buddy I think going solo will be a real adventure. At the Rally and on the road it truly is about the people you meet! Look forward to seeing you on the road!
    In my working years, it was all about hauling ass there and back. Take your time, have the second cup of coffee and enjoy your trip.
    Ron R

    #39306

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •