• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2018 Site Contender

One subject I haven't read on this thread is the timing of the rally. If the rally could be held in different months, the rally sites would be vast. Ozarks in May? Outstanding. Texas hill country in October? Awesome. I heard the MOA has given up the demand that the organization sell the beer on site, maybe the time of year could be compromised.

Rob Lessen
Arma KS

One subject I haven't read on this thread is the timing of the rally. If the rally could be held in different months, the rally sites would be vast. Ozarks in May? Outstanding. Texas hill country in October? Awesome. I heard the MOA has given up the demand that the organization sell the beer on site, maybe the time of year could be compromised.

Rob Lessen
Arma KS

There are previous threads about the timing of the rally. As I remember there was one, at least, that was pretty lengthy. Perhaps a search for one of those will prove enlightening if you can find them.

My daughter lives in Indianola, where there just happens to be a BMW dealer. I would be able to attend. Due to limited vacation time I do not have the option to attend rallies other than the Midwest. So that is a plus. Freeway on and off ramps will be about your only chance to take a nice corner, Iowa is scenic rolling countryside, lots of pretty sights. Riding is riding. That small BMW subgroup that hates helmets could be accommodated.

I have only attended the Sedalia rally. I did not leave the fairgrounds much, there was too much to do and see. Besides it was too hot. As a native Midwesterner I thought I knew all about hot riding but overconfidence is not good. The ride back to Joplin was actually dangerous as I almost learned the hard way how heat affects my attention to road conditions.

If they pick Des Moines I would like to take a day pass if I could arrange transport for my daughter so she could see the rally. As with anything there are plus and minus. As far as camping vs motels, I love my nice thick air mattress more and more. The showers provided were refreshing more than once a day. The ice water crew were much appreciated. Bet I drank 2 gallons of water a day.

Rod

There are previous threads about the timing of the rally. As I remember there was one, at least, that was pretty lengthy. Perhaps a search for one of those will prove enlightening if you can find them.

Yeah, I've heard (read) them before. All kinds of excuses. But if the organization wants to have more options on where to go, it will need a changing the timing. If not, then it will be in the norther third of the country.

Yeah, I've heard (read) them before. All kinds of excuses. But if the organization wants to have more options on where to go, it will need a changing the timing. If not, then it will be in the norther third of the country.

To some degree, I believe the motivation of the Getaway events was to move the national rally "feel" around the country and at various times of the year. Of course, they can't compete with the volume and range of exhibits, vendors, etc., that the national does. But you can use them to get your "fix" until the national rolls around again to your neck of the woods.

To some degree, I believe the motivation of the Getaway events was to move the national rally "feel" around the country and at various times of the year. Of course, they can't compete with the volume and range of exhibits, vendors, etc., that the national does. But you can use them to get your "fix" until the national rolls around again to your neck of the woods.

I don't need to get my "fix" by going to a getaway. I can go any time I care to. The getaways are stepping on local events so I don't see them as a replacement for the National.

The timing of the rally

After the heat of Bloomsburg, the Board of Directors took some aggressive measures to find out what the members really wanted. We surveyed 2000 randomly chosen members, with 700+ members responding. Yes - our members wanted to be heard!

We learned that the membership liked the rally dates from ~June 20 through ~July 30. They did NOT want the rally over the 4th of July holiday.
The vendors preferred the last three weeks of July because they had no other conflicts during that time frame.
The "Key-Volunteers" - - the people who are the committee chairs year after year - basically liked the same time frame but most of them said they would be there whenever the rally was scheduled.

Then there is the issue of finding great rally sites that don't have a regular scheduled event for a whole week in the summer.... Fairs, agriculture shows, boat shows: these are their bread and butter events. They might be reluctant to cancel a small, regular annual event for a bigger-but-one-shot deal like the MOA offers.

Some members liked the idea of the regional events in the spring and in the fall, because they preferred smaller events or they wanted to ride in cooler temps.

There was so much good information that was garnered in that survey - but it was 5 years ago.
I was happy to serve on that board, and now I look forward to hearing what our current board has in mind.
:clap

After the heat of Bloomsburg, the Board of Directors took some aggressive measures to find out what the members really wanted. We surveyed 2000 randomly chosen members, with 700+ members responding. Yes - our members wanted to be heard!

We learned that the membership liked the rally dates from ~June 20 through ~July 30. They did NOT want the rally over the 4th of July holiday.
The vendors preferred the last three weeks of July because they had no other conflicts during that time frame.
The "Key-Volunteers" - - the people who are the committee chairs year after year - basically liked the same time frame but most of them said they would be there whenever the rally was scheduled.

Then there is the issue of finding great rally sites that don't have a regular scheduled event for a whole week in the summer.... Fairs, agriculture shows, boat shows: these are their bread and butter events. They might be reluctant to cancel a small, regular annual event for a bigger-but-one-shot deal like the MOA offers.

Some members liked the idea of the regional events in the spring and in the fall, because they preferred smaller events or they wanted to ride in cooler temps.

There was so much good information that was garnered in that survey - but it was 5 years ago.
I was happy to serve on that board, and now I look forward to hearing what our current board has in mind.
:clap

Tell me again how did you learn the "membership" liked June 20 through July 30? From a survey with only that time period to vote on? And 43% of those responding had never attended a rally! Not sure which is worse, the survey restrictions or reporting of its findings in such a manner. Wonder what May 15 to June 19 or September 1 to September 30 survey would show? Ya think perhaps the only dates one could vote for? This is referred as "Fake News" now-a-day.

Last edited:

I don't need to get my "fix" by going to a getaway. I can go any time I care to. The getaways are stepping on local events so I don't see them as a replacement for the National.

The Getaways were not conceived as events that feel like the national rally, in fact they are intended to broaden our social offering by giving members that can't make a national the opportunity to rub elbows with their fellow riders. They're far more like "hotel rallies" than they are a huge camping-oriented event that's most closely comparable to a trade show.

Even though I don't personally enjoy them, I think the Getaway events are a great idea. They don't require as much "buy in" as attending a National, but they still emphasize the most valuable part (imo) of the MOA experience: people riding and socializing together, making friends and having a great time.

If I were asked how to improve them, I'd suggest working together with local clubs and dealers to manage the events instead of flying in a team of board members and paid staff. This would help avoid date/location conflicts, lower operating costs and increase the level of engagement amongst our membership.

Hey, we are making progress... this year the Fontana Getaway is *two* weekends ahead of the nearby Georgia Mountain Rally! :ha

Tell me again how did you learn the "membership" liked June 20 through July 30? From a survey with only that time period to vote on? And 43% of those responding had never attended a rally! Not sure which is worse, the survey restrictions or reporting of its findings in such a manner. Wonder what May 15 to June 19 or September 1 to September 30 survey would show? Ya think perhaps the only dates one could vote for? This is referred as "Fake News" now-a-day.

Wow - - that sure went sideways fast. :D

There were oh-so many things we learned in that survey.... And yes, the date range was a 6 week margin. So let's talk about why we might have done that:
Part of this reason is that mountain passes are impossible by motorcycle for more than half the year. So realistically speaking, we can only look at mid-May through mid-September to include anyone who needs to cross the higher mountain ranges. Heck - let's expand that to May 1 through October 1.

But then there is August, and as the traditionally hottest month of the year, August is not considered a viable date range either.

So that leaves: May, June, July, and September. For this survey, the board examined the possibility of mid-June through July 31. Maybe it's time for your board to do another survey? :dunno

The Weekend Getaways were created to accommodate the members who wanted something at the time of year that was good for them. I hope that helps. Happily, I have served my time on the board and am proud of what was accomplished during those years. And now I am an elder Stateswoman and will just keep going to the rallies until I can't anymore. Love being accused of Fake News though. thanks. You guys are the best. <-- sarcasm font on

Wow - - that sure went sideways fast. :D

There were oh-so many things we learned in that survey.... And yes, the date range was a 6 week margin. So let's talk about why we might have done that:
Part of this reason is that mountain passes are impossible by motorcycle for more than half the year. So realistically speaking, we can only look at mid-May through mid-September to include anyone who needs to cross the higher mountain ranges. Heck - let's expand that to May 1 through October 1.

But then there is August, and as the traditionally hottest month of the year, August is not considered a viable date range either.

So that leaves: May, June, July, and September. For this survey, the board examined the possibility of mid-June through July 31. Maybe it's time for your board to do another survey? :dunno

The Weekend Getaways were created to accommodate the members who wanted something at the time of year that was good for them. I hope that helps. Happily, I have served my time on the board and am proud of what was accomplished during those years. And now I am an elder Stateswoman and will just keep going to the rallies until I can't anymore. Love being accused of Fake News though. thanks. You guys are the best. <-- sarcasm font on

Appreciate your response...I guess it was the presentation of those dates being the winners and then having someone state those were the only dates that could have won. It might have been better understood had explanation indicated the winning dates were the only ones survey respondents could pick from.

Yes another survey from May 15 to September 30 might prove interesting...and hopefully more than 57% of those responding will have already had a Rally experience to consider when voting.

You enjoy your retirement and Rally attendance.

I attended the last 5 straight National's...
Look forward to every years announcement. I use to attend daily then flee off to my reserved motel (wifey won't tent), my game plans have since changed to a large RV (45' toy hauler), well ever since Hamburg anyways. I will miss the adventure ride to and from, but I have other rides for that also.

So diversity in both loca and ride area are welcomed here, and site locations are certainly a very very tough decision. Back to diversity, this comes with our members who attend as well, gaping age ranges (mostly more close to or in the retirement years however as per my observations), and me being in the almost 50 range (yikes!), I just think no matter what is chosen in any given loca we will have upset members. I'm not saying location means nothing because it does, but we also have the other Rally criteria to match up as well. I'm sure there's not 50 site locations begging for us and mainly our wants/needs.

As far as Rally sites goes, nothing (for me) came close to St.Paul/Minneapolis. Those grounds were simply beautiful and awesome, and one caveat that I look for is paved roads connecting all the dots within the grounds. On the other hand... Billings had the best riding (area) by far for me, but the fair-grounds were very small (it had a great closing arena however!) and too many dusty roads connecting the dots. Hamburg was huge!... but too close to me and I've been to Niagara Falls 500 times. I did not beatch about it however, rather made the most of it and met several new (now lifelong) friends. Amazing times and it's the people who make it for me.

This will be my first year volunteering (I do however for our local Club every year, it's fun too). Since I'm attending via my RV (and a big one at that!) I figured why not help out my own local close by members park and get situated in the RV slots. These are electric only sites, so water top offs and other needs will sure be arising and need assistance, also being 6-4 and 235lbs, they may want my night-time security abilities as well. Whatever it takes, my wife is in as well but prob not security lol... she's 5-3 and only 105lbs soaking wet! ;)

Okay, so no beatching from me, I truly appreciate all the effort and time given from our organizers. I'll go/attend where the chairs decide, and will make it happen with a smile and handshakes out for all new and old friends.

Bring it on wherever it may be, Des Moines included!

KJ & Debbie Miller

I was introduced to the family of BMW rally rats in 2012 after the purchase of a new to me 2001 k 1200 RS. I can't believe the amount of fun I've experienced in the subsequent 4 rallies, with Utah now being my sixth in a row. It doesn't matter to me where it's held as I will make it no matter what. Iowa or Texas, Florida or New Hampshire, I'm ready. My wife has resigned herself to being a July widow but has on occasion been tempted to fly out for a week after the rally of sight seeing in a rental car, and then I get another possible week of riding home to St. Louie. So bring it on, Iowa or where ever, best bang for your motorcycling summer recreational buck on the market. The relationships developed over the years are priceless, no matter what political, religious or motorcycling differences presented around the ring of council fire, the BMW family is truly a community of like minded kindred spirits on two wheels......:wave

So that leaves: May, June, July, and September. For this survey, the board examined the possibility of mid-June through July 31. Maybe it's time for your board to do another survey?

I would agree that another poll,is in order. And how the survey questions are asked shape the answers. So careful thought and consideration needs to be made to the survey structure. I personally would prefer sometime in last half of May to June 23rd/24th or after Labour day weekend in September to 3rd week Sept. July and August is peak heat and peak vacationers and peak hotel prices and on and on.

I am booked for Salt Lake this year ( hotel anyways) but I am still undecided due to weather (too hot for me) and costs due to summer pricing. Nope I don't tent.

Weather Statitics for SLC..

https://www.yr.no/place/United_States/Utah/Salt_Lake_City/statistics.html

Seems most folks use Beer for air-conditioners at these Rally's. With that being said, anything under Bloomsburg's temps will be welcomed by most.

But, going to early (or later) dates could maybe expand the regions; like more South, or could just make cooler/cold(er) camping. Most camping via tents just may prefer the warmer temps vs the cooler or colder temps.

Hard to please 'em all!

Des Moines, eh? Maybe it will be time to ride the Slash Five to a national rally, and leave the big, fast, newer one at home. Frankly, I've never missed one since 1987 and next year won't be any different, regardless of the location.

A rally is as good - or as bad - as you make it.
I always choose to make it GREAT!

I agree with Sue. This will be only my 3rd Rally. From Fairbanks everything is a long ride and I just didn't have that much time very often. I retire in 4 more weeks. From here until I can't ride anymore, I'm going to catch every one. And I don't care where they are, I'll have fun. When I went to my first MOA Rally in Sedalia, upon arrival I wrote to my wife and said "I've finally found my tribe." Yes, it's about the quality of the facilities. And yes, it's about how many great riding roads are within easy striking distance. But mainly it's about the people. And all those bikes. And just sitting around in your "tent neighborhood" meeting people for the first time . . . that you've known all your life.

I agree with Sue. This will be only my 3rd Rally. From Fairbanks everything is a long ride and I just didn't have that much time very often. I retire in 4 more weeks. From here until I can't ride anymore, I'm going to catch every one. And I don't care where they are, I'll have fun. When I went to my first MOA Rally in Sedalia, upon arrival I wrote to my wife and said "I've finally found my tribe." Yes, it's about the quality of the facilities. And yes, it's about how many great riding roads are within easy striking distance. But mainly it's about the people. And all those bikes. And just sitting around in your "tent neighborhood" meeting people for the first time . . . that you've known all your life.

Well put and congrats on retirement! I retired 4 weeks AGO and so far am loving it. At the Hamburg Rally last year when we heard 2017 was Salt Lake my wingman and I said "WOW we are in!" Unfortunately my wingman has had to cancel but I said "I am committed to go and am retired" so I will be making most of the ride solo and my longest solo ever. While I prefer riding with my buddy I think going solo will be a real adventure. At the Rally and on the road it truly is about the people you meet! Look forward to seeing you on the road!

Well put and congrats on retirement! I retired 4 weeks AGO and so far am loving it. At the Hamburg Rally last year when we heard 2017 was Salt Lake my wingman and I said "WOW we are in!" Unfortunately my wingman has had to cancel but I said "I am committed to go and am retired" so I will be making most of the ride solo and my longest solo ever. While I prefer riding with my buddy I think going solo will be a real adventure. At the Rally and on the road it truly is about the people you meet! Look forward to seeing you on the road!

In my working years, it was all about hauling ass there and back. Take your time, have the second cup of coffee and enjoy your trip.

Back