• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

iabs and Module Masters

baronk

I to now have an IABS problem in my 05 rt and per the GS-911 it is related to to high a pressure in the rear wheel wheel circuit. I only have residual breaking in the rear brakes. I am posting this to let folks know that I contacted Module Masters today and was told that they are down to 2 parts in the module that they are still working on to be satisfied with before they can start up again with rebuilds. They asked me to callback the first of next year to see where they were then. Lets hope they can get it sorted out for the many of folks that need help.

Iabs-module masters

Thanks for posting this update. I had to replace the module in my 02 RS back in 2009, so I can feel your pain. It's one nasty expensive part.
Current cost at BMW dealers is $2703 for module with less than 18 available in the US and 25 in Europe; plus labor costs to install, load up with brake fluid, bleed and test on BMS diagnostic equipment; or DYI using GS-911.

BMW of course has just its dealership network to work with, and declined to assign responsibility to them for repair of these units. Insisting on complete replacement of a critical safety system makes good sense.

To some extent, it might be cool were BMW to "certify" Module Masters as an official, approved repair facility for these systems, but just simply setting up a certification process and team at BMW is a not insignificant expense. Demonstration of Module Masters' expertise and credibility is, then, solely their responsibility. Given, of course, our country's wonderful legal system with (some would say) a surplus of attorneys, we can likely feel pretty confident Module Masters will do a good job and protect our safety.

It's a system not installed for 10 years, now, so it's a nice and maybe unexpected service to those wanting to keep those bikes going.

I don't see BMW ever doing a sub-license or certification schema--such things get legally complicated, too much so for a litigation-sensitive company like BMW, and would likely draw pushback from dealers. IIRC BMW doesn't build that module in-house so I'd rather see them pressured to release the subcontractor to openly sell parts and service info to companies like MM. Oone of the issues MM is having with the iABS modules us an inability to source a couple of key parts needed for rebuilds.
Best,
DG

Current cost at BMW dealers is $2703 for module with less than 18 available in the US and 25 in Europe; plus labor costs to install, load up with brake fluid, bleed and test on BMS diagnostic equipment; or DYI using GS-911.

The modules are plug and play. There is nothing to set up or adjust. I didn't own a GS-911 when I replaced it many years ago. It still works today, with over 120k KM ridden since.

It's a system not installed for 10 years, now, so it's a nice and maybe unexpected service to those wanting to keep those bikes going.

Yes, yes........the joys of the failing E34 dashboard cluster or the dying ABS module/pump. IMHO, the future junk yard will have lots of very good looking cars missing a few very expensive or NLA components.

It's a shame, but, rarely, can a business survive on the repair of components for low sales volume vehicles with a 4~5-yr design cycle.

Back