• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

AGM-Panasonic vs Odyssey ??

brownie

Time for new batts pretty soon.....have one of each.....does anyone know/suspect of any real difference between these 2???
I realize price/shipping could differ depending on source......opinions ??? (usually no shortage :banghead) TIA...

There clearly is a difference. From a purely technical standpoint I don't know what the differences are. But, the charging instructions for the Odyssey are different than for most AGM batteries and the Odyssey meets a military specification (Milspec) that most others don't.

So, will the differences make a significant difference in battery performance in your motorcycle? I don't know. It depends on how often and how far you ride the motorcycle. It also depends on how/if you use a charger when not riding. And of course it depends on the charging system characteristics of your specific motorcycle. It also depends on the cranking amps required to turn over and start your motorcycle in the temperature conditions you encounter.

Probably not a lot of help here. I don't see a magic answer.

p.s. The last two batteries I bought were an Odyssey PC680 and an Everstart ES14BS from Walmart.

The Odessey PC680s that are in two of my K75Ss are both over 8 years old and still going strong. I very rarely plug them in to a battery tender. YMMV

:dance:dance:dance

Time for new batts pretty soon.....have one of each.....does anyone know/suspect of any real difference between these 2???
I realize price/shipping could differ depending on source......opinions ??? (usually no shortage :banghead) TIA...

Which bike? What year?

I've had a Panasonic in my 1100S for 6 years. Still going strong. For 100 bucks, I think I'd get another when this one conks out.

Batts....

Great responses...thanks my R100Rs (82) has the Odyssey: 5 years old-always plugged in to an Odyssey charger...ridden 20x/month (commuter)
my R1150RT (04) has the Pan: 4 years old-always plugged in to an Odyssey charger...ridden 4x month, about 2-300 per ride
I do think the Odyssey/Odyssey charger might be the most compatible.......no?? :scratch

6 years + on 2 Odyssey PC680 batteries in Airheads with stock charging systems. ('76 R90/6 & '92 R100GSPD)

I do not regularly commute or ride around town, but do ride 'em year round.

Once either bike is started, it is 45 miles to the mountains and usually a 100+ mile ride before stopping. (8.5 & 9.25 Gallon tanks)

Both bikes have started easily after sitting for a month.

They have never been on a charger.

Tested the batteries with a MidTronics tester when new, and again about 2 months ago with results that are close to 85% of the first test on both, have not touched them otherwise. (except when disconnecting to do maintenance on bike)

AGMs in general are the way to go.

Bill

Last edited:
Agm''s are a bit of a commodity sold by weight. There are only a couple manufacturers and a lot of rebranding.

Braille and Big crank are two other good labels.

I have oddesy, big crank and braille batteries. All work great. No difference in performance or longevity.

I had a Panasonic that was from the very start a slow steady cranker. It never failed to start or changed for 2 years, but when replaced with the Odyssey, a huge difference. The Panasonic lived on my mower for about 2 more years.

Rod

It seems to me that the large temperature swings hasten the demise of a battery that spent time at the "same" temperature.
OM

I used to be an Odyssey snob. Now, having visited the plant during a Pennsylvania Supertech event, I have switched to Deka brand batteries. Similar performance at much better cost. The Big Crank is one of many examples of Deka produced AGM batteries.

Here is a Westco that someone left on a picnic table at Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground a couple of years ago. I'm guessing his replacement was a slosh battery as he left the empty acid jug too.

westco-M.jpg

I used to be an Odyssey snob. Now, having visited the plant during a Pennsylvania Supertech event, I have switched to Deka brand batteries. Similar performance at much better cost. The Big Crank is one of many examples of Deka produced AGM batteries.

Here is a Westco that someone left on a picnic table at Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground a couple of years ago. I'm guessing his replacement was a slosh battery as he left the empty acid jug too.

View attachment 58960

OK, now you have touched upon a dilemma. East Penn (DEKA) seems like a great company to deal with, but they don't offer a 51913-size replacement. Instead, they offer the Westco, which has been a great battery replacement battery for me, but not others.

View attachment 58960
Plenty of sealed AGM batteries are shipped dry, and activated with acid. These do require charging after activation for best life.

Rod

Back