Thread: AGM-Panasonic vs Odyssey ??

MOA,ABC,AMA,NEF,BREC,CCA brownie's Avatar

Unhappy AGM-Panasonic vs Odyssey ??

Time for new batts pretty soon.....have one of each.....does anyone know/suspect of any real difference between these 2???
    I realize price/shipping could differ depending on source......opinions ??? (usually no shortage ) TIA...
    Words to Ride by: Patience, Anticipate, Paranoia
    Shep Brown MOA 27510
    "Igor" 82 RS "Inga" 04RT
    Pensacola, Flairider

There clearly is a difference. From a purely technical standpoint I don't know what the differences are. But, the charging instructions for the Odyssey are different than for most AGM batteries and the Odyssey meets a military specification (Milspec) that most others don't.

So, will the differences make a significant difference in battery performance in your motorcycle? I don't know. It depends on how often and how far you ride the motorcycle. It also depends on how/if you use a charger when not riding. And of course it depends on the charging system characteristics of your specific motorcycle. It also depends on the cranking amps required to turn over and start your motorcycle in the temperature conditions you encounter.

Probably not a lot of help here. I don't see a magic answer.

p.s. The last two batteries I bought were an Odyssey PC680 and an Everstart ES14BS from Walmart.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

3 Red Bricks
    The Odessey PC680s that are in two of my K75Ss are both over 8 years old and still going strong. I very rarely plug them in to a battery tender. YMMV

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    Time for new batts pretty soon.....have one of each.....does anyone know/suspect of any real difference between these 2???
    I realize price/shipping could differ depending on source......opinions ??? (usually no shortage ) TIA...
    Which bike? What year?

I've had a Panasonic in my 1100S for 6 years. Still going strong. For 100 bucks, I think I'd get another when this one conks out.

MOA,ABC,AMA,NEF,BREC,CCA brownie's Avatar

Thumbs up Batts....

Great responses...thanks my R100Rs (82) has the Odyssey: 5 years old-always plugged in to an Odyssey charger...ridden 20x/month (commuter)
    my R1150RT (04) has the Pan: 4 years old-always plugged in to an Odyssey charger...ridden 4x month, about 2-300 per ride
    I do think the Odyssey/Odyssey charger might be the most compatible.......no??
    Words to Ride by: Patience, Anticipate, Paranoia
    Shep Brown MOA 27510
    "Igor" 82 RS "Inga" 04RT
    Pensacola, Flairider

6 years + on 2 Odyssey PC680 batteries in Airheads with stock charging systems. ('76 R90/6 & '92 R100GSPD)

I do not regularly commute or ride around town, but do ride 'em year round.

Once either bike is started, it is 45 miles to the mountains and usually a 100+ mile ride before stopping. (8.5 & 9.25 Gallon tanks)

Both bikes have started easily after sitting for a month.

They have never been on a charger.

Tested the batteries with a MidTronics tester when new, and again about 2 months ago with results that are close to 85% of the first test on both, have not touched them otherwise. (except when disconnecting to do maintenance on bike)

AGMs in general are the way to go.

Bill
    Last edited by tanker4me; 04-12-2017 at 03:51 PM.
    We are all here for a spell, get all the good laughs you can.
    Will Rogers

Agm''s are a bit of a commodity sold by weight. There are only a couple manufacturers and a lot of rebranding.

Braille and Big crank are two other good labels.

I have oddesy, big crank and braille batteries. All work great. No difference in performance or longevity.
    Marshall
    92 K75s
    94 K75s
    09 K1300s

I had a Panasonic that was from the very start a slow steady cranker. It never failed to start or changed for 2 years, but when replaced with the Odyssey, a huge difference. The Panasonic lived on my mower for about 2 more years.

Rod

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    It seems to me that the large temperature swings hasten the demise of a battery that spent time at the "same" temperature.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I used to be an Odyssey snob. Now, having visited the plant during a Pennsylvania Supertech event, I have switched to Deka brand batteries. Similar performance at much better cost. The Big Crank is one of many examples of Deka produced AGM batteries.

Here is a Westco that someone left on a picnic table at Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground a couple of years ago. I'm guessing his replacement was a slosh battery as he left the empty acid jug too.

westco-M.jpg
    Lee A. Dickinson - Danielsville, GA USA
    MOA 80364 | RA 29650 | ABC 3480 | IBA 8914
    1992 R100RS - 1993 K1100RS - 2013 R1200GS

Quote Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
    I used to be an Odyssey snob. Now, having visited the plant during a Pennsylvania Supertech event, I have switched to Deka brand batteries. Similar performance at much better cost. The Big Crank is one of many examples of Deka produced AGM batteries.

Here is a Westco that someone left on a picnic table at Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground a couple of years ago. I'm guessing his replacement was a slosh battery as he left the empty acid jug too.

westco-M.jpg
    OK, now you have touched upon a dilemma. East Penn (DEKA) seems like a great company to deal with, but they don't offer a 51913-size replacement. Instead, they offer the Westco, which has been a great battery replacement battery for me, but not others.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post

westco-M.jpg
    Plenty of sealed AGM batteries are shipped dry, and activated with acid. These do require charging after activation for best life.

Rod