• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What are your thoughts? Ural or build bmw hack?

nelliott

Cowboyatheart
I am looking at adding either a Ural or buy a used R1200GS and add a DMC or Hannigan rig.

Any advice you would like to share to help me with this decision?
I want to be able to go off-road with it, and highway (okay secondary Hwy if Ural).

Fire away please.

I think you may find it two different experiences- sorta like riding my F800GS and then the TW200.
And then you "drive" a sidecar rig and ride a motorcycle.
I wouldn't mind owning a Ural.
OM

If the SC rig will be an addition to the stable and you will still have a capable road bike in the mix, then living where you do I'd opt for the Ural. Less money up front and more capability in your local terrain. But if this is to be your sole mount then I'd opt for the GS. Just my $0.02.

Best,

DG

Ural. The real question for you will be carbed Ural or electronic fuel injection?

I've had my '04 Ural Tourist since Day One and it has outlasted every other motorcycle I've owned (Honda VFR. R90/6, Guzzi Breva 1100, KLR, and a GS) as it's that much fun. 45,000 kms and counting. Just remember, it's happiest at 50 to 60 mph and going on backroads. I've done some interstate stints (~15 miles or less) when it was unavoidable, but neither I nor my Russian mule were happy.

Cheaper to buy a Ural than buying a used mc and putting a hack on it. Even cheaper to buy a used Ural. Try and get 2010 or later; last year for carbs was 2013; EFI and disc brakes came out in 2014. Advantage of pre-14 is spare is a real tire and will fit both pusher and hack; post-14 the spare is more a donut and it's not advised to keep it on the pusher any longer than necessary.

Check out soviet steeds for beaucoup discussion on this topic. Also 1WD vs. 2WD, although concensus at SS is unless you are truly going hardcore offroad, the 1WD is usually just fine.

Depends on what you intend to do with a rig. Local backroads & off road, the Ural may work out better. Road trip? A gs based machine will do better. If you go for a road based machine, look for completed rigs as opposed to putting one together your self.
Check out the Hacks Forum on ADVRider.

My wife and I took a test ride on a Ural Gear Up and really had a good time. If I could afford one I would get one tomorrow.:)

photo 2.jpg

You should be able to find a really nice, stock, Ural for less than $8,000US. Much less if you look for a while. But more than likely it will be in the US. The thing about sidecars, Ural in particular, is that folks buy them on a lark, drive them for a while, and then park them. Like any machine, if it sits too long things start to go bad; seals, gaskets, corrosion, etc. And you need to be aware of this; Russian manufacturing technology doesn't compare to BMW. Performance, quality control is a weakness, and defects are common. But unless you have considerable mechanical skill I wouldn't start from scratch, I'd still buy a Ural.

Sovietsteeds.com has a "Black Market Forum" for sellers. > http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=0966c8795ff0eec96d1bd15835afe56a
Join (it's free) if you want to post a WTB (want to buy) I'd mention specifically in Canada.

CURD (Canadian Ural/Dnepr Riders Group) > http://www.curdforum.net/

Russian Iron is another > http://www.russianiron.com/

But first, do your homework and Read before you buy!

Me... I like to tinker, so I bought '63 Dnepr with '06 Ural drive train.

Dnepr.jpg

Thanks for all the comments from all.

And thanks for the links.

And what do you refer to.....Read what? Before I Buy?

Neil

Sovietsteeds.com has a "Black Market Forum" for sellers. > http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=0966c8795ff0eec96d1bd15835afe56a
Join (it's free) if you want to post a WTB (want to buy) I'd mention specifically in Canada.

CURD (Canadian Ural/Dnepr Riders Group) > http://www.curdforum.net/

Russian Iron is another > http://www.russianiron.com/

But first, do your homework and Read before you buy!

Just read "in general"... research, for yourself, what Urals are about. Ural has gone through a lot of changes since 2000. All I'm saying is, decide what you want the rig to do, and learn about what you want to buy. Hook up with SS forums, CURD, or Russian Iron, run some searches for discussions like "what should I look for", "problems", etc.

ADV Rider Hack forum is probably a better place to research "all" rigs, certainly more diverse than the "russian oriented" sidecar sites. If you're not a member join. Again, it's free.

http://advrider.com/index.php?forums/hacks.56/

Another "general" sidecar source would be The United Sidecar Association > http://sidecar.com/mbbs22/category-view.asp

Foremost, keep in mind what was mentioned above, Urals are essentially unchanged since the 1940s (better brakes, electronics, etc) they were never intended to maintain modern highway speeds of 60mph; they were war machines intended for undeveloped roads. They can carry a load and will run 50-55 all day (65 in a pinch and for short distances). They operate best when driven in a "deliberate" fashion, much like old airhead BMWs.

edit -

Also 1WD vs. 2WD, although concensus at SS is unless you are truly going hardcore offroad, the 1WD is usually just fine.

It was been quipped that 2WD will get you about fifty feet further, where you shouldn't have tried to go anyway, than 1WD... ;)

Last edited:
Just read "in general"... research, for yourself, what Urals are about. Ural has gone through a lot of changes since 2000. All I'm saying is, decide what you want the rig to do, and learn about what you want to buy. Hook up with SS forums, CURD, or Russian Iron, run some searches for discussions like "what should I look for", "problems", etc.

ADV Rider Hack forum is probably a better place to research "all" rigs, certainly more diverse than the "russian oriented" sidecar sites. If you're not a member join. Again, it's free.

http://advrider.com/index.php?forums/hacks.56/

Another "general" sidecar source would be The United Sidecar Association > http://sidecar.com/mbbs22/category-view.asp

Foremost, keep in mind what was mentioned above, Urals are essentially unchanged since the 1940s (better brakes, electronics, etc) they were never intended to maintain modern highway speeds of 60mph; they were war machines intended for undeveloped roads. They can carry a load and will run 50-55 all day (65 in a pinch and for short distances). They operate best when driven in a "deliberate" fashion, much like old airhead BMWs.

edit -

It was been quipped that 2WD will get you about fifty feet further, where you shouldn't have tried to go anyway, than 1WD... ;)

The link to the United Sidecar Association was dead. Here's an updated link.
https://sidecar.com/

It is inaccurate to say that "Urals are essentially unchanged since the 1940s". They have made tremendous strides over the past 10-15 years. The list at this link shows the changes made in 2003-2020. I have a 2018 Gear Up and Annie has a 2019. They are our first foray into sidecars and we are having a blast on them. There are things you have to accept as a Ural owner. They do not like to cruise at more than about 60 MPH and are significantly impacted by wind and slope. I rode mine to the National Sidecar rally this year which entails crossing the Rockies. I was able sustain 45 MPH climbing Lookout and 4th of July passes and even passed two semi-trucks. Passing another vehicle is a noteworthy event when you ride a Ural. They are easy to maintain and much like an Airhead when it comes to maintenance. They come standard with a two year warranty and Ural sometimes throws in a free third year when closing out a model year. I have 3,000 miles on mine and have had two warranty issues. My parking brake cable broke and the ignition switch failed. My dealer is 720 miles away and mailed me the parts within 24 hours of my emailing him about the issue (would any BMW dealer do that?). Annie has about 400 miles on hers and other than making some adjustments to the set-up she has had no problems.

We like the Urals because we can now explore the many backcountry roads we have in Montana with much less stress than we could on two wheels. Not needing to focus as intently on the road/trail surface, no worries about finding a place where we can stop without fear of the bike being unstable, a reverse gear as needed and tons of storage space. It also extends our riding season. We've been riding all year which is not common in Montana. (See picture) I also find that taking the Ural into town to run errands is much easier on a Ural. Places to store my gear and purchases, no low speed maneuvering issues in parking lots and everyone wants to ask you about the antique BMW. If you pursue a Ural, then newer is better. Annie's 19 saw major changes in the bike. A bit more torque, runs cooler and the spare tire can now be used on any of the three wheel positions (in prior years the spare can only be used on the rear of the bike).

In my opinion the Ural is a great adjunct to our other bikes. I would not want it as my only ride but there are times it can't be beat.

8155F586-2705-48E7-B62B-BABBBFAE8E81.jpg

Ural Steps-Up

Email I received from Ural:

Dear Friends,

We'd like to extend our wishes to all of you and your loved ones to be healthy and remain strong during these trying times. Our staff at Ural in Redmond, WA, at the factory in Irbit, and all other distributors are all healthy and well! We've put in a lot of effort to keep the employees and their environment as safe as possible and continue to do so. We have also put processes in place to continue business activities that keep the support for our dealers and customers uninterrupted. Our dealers have great inventory of standard and custom 2020 models. Please check with us or with the dealers directly if you are looking for a specific model, color or configuration. Email our sales hotline sidecarsmakeyouhappy@ural.com - we'll help you find your dream Ural. :)

US Parts Warehouse & Tech Support

Our Parts Department in Redmond, WA continues to operate and ship parts to our domestic and international dealers and distributors. We are providing technical support to our dealers uninterrupted. It's all hands on deck to keep Urals on the road.

Direct to Retail Parts Drop Shipment Service

As the situation from state to state changes by the hour, some dealerships are and may be closing and/or operating at a partial capacity. To address parts needs of our customers, we have implemented direct to retail Parts Drop Shipment Service. It works as simple as this: you order parts from your local or (if it's closed) any open Ural dealership and the parts are drop shipped directly to your home. And (!), we've made a decision to waive parts drop shipping fees for the time being to help us all get through this. If you can go out and ride, we are here to help you do it.

List of Ural Dealers and Service Centers can be found here: https://www.imz-ural.com/dealer-locator. We can assist you in finding the closest open dealer to provide you with parts and service advice. Please call (425) 702-8484 x 100 or send us an email at sidecarsmakeyouhappy@ural.com.

Production Update

We are experiencing interruptions with suppliers of components from Europe, particularly in Italy and Spain. The situation is being monitored very closely and we are adjusting our planning accordingly. In anticipation of further supply interruption and a slowing retail demand, we have decided to halt production at the factory in Irbit, Russia as of March 30th until further notice. Factory workers will be sent on paid leave.

90 Days Warranty Extension

Effective immediately, all Ural motorcycles currently under warranty will automatically have three months (90 days) factory warranty extension. All new motorcycle sales registered during the period between now and June 30, 2020 will also have automatic 90-day warranty extension on top of standard 2 year manufacturer warranty.

The last but not the least.....

Our dealers are adjusting to the new reality on a daily and hourly basis. Many are rearranging sales process to limit physical contact while still creating good sales and service experience; deliveries and service by appointment, deliveries directly to the customers' homes, etc. Certain States have implemented temporary changes in regulations that simplify registration process for new vehicle sales. Please contact your dealer and see what special arrangements are available. Some dealers might already be offering virtual showroom experience through Skype, Facetime, etc. We are working on this as well and soon will be offering ways to learn about the new Urals using video streaming tools. Stay tuned for that!

Please keep up with the latest updates via our social media channels – find us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. We’d also love to see some good vibes photos and/or videos of how Ural is keeping your spirits up, please share this on social @uralmotorcycles and/or drop us a line at sidecarsmakeyouhappy@ural.com.

Ride safe and stay healthy!

The Team at Ural Motorcycles

I was a Ural {also Honda/Yamaha) dealer from 2000-2004 when I sold my share of the business to my partner.

We sold a lot of Urals over that period, a lot is not really a lot as Ural sold only about 1,000 per year in the US back then.

I owned two, a 2000 650cc and a 2004 750cc, both 1WD units.

If you are looking at a Used Ural stay away from the 650's, the brakes were as effective as a concrete block on a rope and they were truly a 45mph machine. The Generators were prone to frequent failure. Still they were a lot of fun.

My 2004 had both disc brakes and a Denso Alternator, both were significant upgrades, for these two reasons I wouldn't consider purchasing a used bike earlier than a 2004.

These bikes require constant fiddling with. If you don't feel comfortable fiddling with mechanical and Electrical things don't buy one as you won't be happy.

EDIT: My first Ural was a Leading Link Front End. my second had the traditional Forks. The Leading Link works much better with the sidecar. One of the scariest rides I've ever taken on a Motorcycle was the day I took the sidecar off the Leading Link Ural and tried to ride it like a Motorcycle.

I thoroughly enjoyed both the Urals I owned and would consider one again.

You can save "Mucho Dinero" purchasing used.

Last edited:
I do not own a sidecar. I have never owned a sidecar. I have however considered buying a rig to run around the desert roads here in the Texas Big Bend. As such, what I would want is the two-wheel drive Ural. Other than two wheel drive virtually any BMW since 1969 would make a better bike for the rig than a Ural. Even a /5 would pull better. My opinion again only.

That said, if you, like me, would want two-wheel drive then Ural seems like the only way to go.

I considered a Ural as they are just cute as can be...but I like riding more than tinkering and I really don't like being the slowest vehicle on the road, especially on hills. So I drive a GSA/modified Hannigan rig and have been very happy with it for the past 85,000 miles. The caveat is that the sidecar is my long distance rig; if I was looking for something just to have fun on the backroads here in northern Vermont (90% of them are unpaved), I would probably have gone with a Ural. The improvements in the last several years have been much needed, and those in the 2019/2020 model years have been truly impressive.

With the exception of the Ural, every sidecar rig on the road today is a custom or semi-custom job and some home built rigs were done by people with questionable levels of expertise. What I always advise prospective sidecarists is to visit their local Ural dealer and take one for a test drive. That way they know what a properly setup rig feels like. It's not for everyone.

2WD is a mixed bag. I've heard it lets you get 100 yards further than 1WD before you get stuck. Those who think it will let them rock crawl like some of the Jeep videos on YouTube are always disappointed. Those who remain in 1WD till they get stuck, then use 2WD to back out, seem very happy with it.

Pete

Back in the early 2000s I had a R75/6 and bought a Sputnic sidecar and the hardware from DMC and loved it. The instructions for the installation were easy to deal with and I sent pictures to them and I believe his name is Jay was very helpful in having me tune the alignment for the road. It cruised effortless at 55 to 65 hands off with two grandkids in the car and one behind me. I didn't have more than $5000.00 invested in bike and sidecar. Just another one of those things I wish I never sold. And of course since Ural reliability was in question back then a Ural was not a choice I wanted to deal with.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AofHNzq5dKo

Several years ago I got this idea. Shoulda had the wife just shoot me. :laugh Soon after I had a new Ural Tub with nothing to pull it with. I had looked at Ural but passed as I had trips in mind. Well not long after and about 30K loonies I had a rig, 2008 GS/Ural that could do those trips. Now I have no regrets but now have the knowledge that to build a quality machine that just works, you have to invest time, (learning) and Money (building) If you are not prepared for this then walk away. Not saying don't, as some of the best trips I have taken have been on my rig and I plan many more.
The new Ural's are really good from what I hear, so if you want a ready built rig with out all the effort of sorting it out then this is what I would buy. Not sure they would take the beating or the distance that mine does. Still good machines and a good place to start I suppose.
Also something to remember, Canada is a hard place to acquire knowledge or parts. Our best fabricator has gotten out of the business for now. Most of the builders are in the US or Europe. Do your research before you start. That's the other thing I learned :D

Back