Thread: What are your thoughts? Ural or build bmw hack?

Cowboyatheart

What are your thoughts? Ural or build bmw hack?

I am looking at adding either a Ural or buy a used R1200GS and add a DMC or Hannigan rig.

Any advice you would like to share to help me with this decision?
    I want to be able to go off-road with it, and highway (okay secondary Hwy if Ural).

Fire away please.
    Moringa, your body & brain will thank you! PM for discounts Smart Mix at TasteMoringa.com
    XM3 Energy, real energy for the body & brain, no sugar high, XM3.Energy

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    I think you may find it two different experiences- sorta like riding my F800GS and then the TW200.
    And then you "drive" a sidecar rig and ride a motorcycle.
    I wouldn't mind owning a Ural.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

If the SC rig will be an addition to the stable and you will still have a capable road bike in the mix, then living where you do I'd opt for the Ural. Less money up front and more capability in your local terrain. But if this is to be your sole mount then I'd opt for the GS. Just my $0.02.

Best,

DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST -- 1988 R100GS "Bee"-- 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C -- 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Ural. The real question for you will be carbed Ural or electronic fuel injection?

I've had my '04 Ural Tourist since Day One and it has outlasted every other motorcycle I've owned (Honda VFR. R90/6, Guzzi Breva 1100, KLR, and a GS) as it's that much fun. 45,000 kms and counting. Just remember, it's happiest at 50 to 60 mph and going on backroads. I've done some interstate stints (~15 miles or less) when it was unavoidable, but neither I nor my Russian mule were happy.

Cheaper to buy a Ural than buying a used mc and putting a hack on it. Even cheaper to buy a used Ural. Try and get 2010 or later; last year for carbs was 2013; EFI and disc brakes came out in 2014. Advantage of pre-14 is spare is a real tire and will fit both pusher and hack; post-14 the spare is more a donut and it's not advised to keep it on the pusher any longer than necessary.

Check out soviet steeds for beaucoup discussion on this topic. Also 1WD vs. 2WD, although concensus at SS is unless you are truly going hardcore offroad, the 1WD is usually just fine.

Depends on what you intend to do with a rig. Local backroads & off road, the Ural may work out better. Road trip? A gs based machine will do better. If you go for a road based machine, look for completed rigs as opposed to putting one together your self.
    Check out the Hacks Forum on ADVRider.

My wife and I took a test ride on a Ural Gear Up and really had a good time. If I could afford one I would get one tomorrow.

photo 2.jpg

You should be able to find a really nice, stock, Ural for less than $8,000US. Much less if you look for a while. But more than likely it will be in the US. The thing about sidecars, Ural in particular, is that folks buy them on a lark, drive them for a while, and then park them. Like any machine, if it sits too long things start to go bad; seals, gaskets, corrosion, etc. And you need to be aware of this; Russian manufacturing technology doesn't compare to BMW. Performance, quality control is a weakness, and defects are common. But unless you have considerable mechanical skill I wouldn't start from scratch, I'd still buy a Ural.

Sovietsteeds.com has a "Black Market Forum" for sellers. > http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/v...1bd15835afe56a
    Join (it's free) if you want to post a WTB (want to buy) I'd mention specifically in Canada.

CURD (Canadian Ural/Dnepr Riders Group) > http://www.curdforum.net/

Russian Iron is another > http://www.russianiron.com/

But first, do your homework and Read before you buy!

Me... I like to tinker, so I bought '63 Dnepr with '06 Ural drive train.

Dnepr.jpg
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden
    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner
    1963 Dnepr

Cowboyatheart
    Thanks for all the comments from all.

And thanks for the links.

And what do you refer to.....Read what? Before I Buy?

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by lmo1131 View Post
    Sovietsteeds.com has a "Black Market Forum" for sellers. > http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/v...1bd15835afe56a
    Join (it's free) if you want to post a WTB (want to buy) I'd mention specifically in Canada.

CURD (Canadian Ural/Dnepr Riders Group) > http://www.curdforum.net/

Russian Iron is another > http://www.russianiron.com/

But first, do your homework and Read before you buy!
    Moringa, your body & brain will thank you! PM for discounts Smart Mix at TasteMoringa.com
    XM3 Energy, real energy for the body & brain, no sugar high, XM3.Energy

Just read "in general"... research, for yourself, what Urals are about. Ural has gone through a lot of changes since 2000. All I'm saying is, decide what you want the rig to do, and learn about what you want to buy. Hook up with SS forums, CURD, or Russian Iron, run some searches for discussions like "what should I look for", "problems", etc.

ADV Rider Hack forum is probably a better place to research "all" rigs, certainly more diverse than the "russian oriented" sidecar sites. If you're not a member join. Again, it's free.

http://advrider.com/index.php?forums/hacks.56/

Another "general" sidecar source would be The United Sidecar Association > http://sidecar.com/mbbs22/category-view.asp

Foremost, keep in mind what was mentioned above, Urals are essentially unchanged since the 1940s (better brakes, electronics, etc) they were never intended to maintain modern highway speeds of 60mph; they were war machines intended for undeveloped roads. They can carry a load and will run 50-55 all day (65 in a pinch and for short distances). They operate best when driven in a "deliberate" fashion, much like old airhead BMWs.

edit -

Also 1WD vs. 2WD, although concensus at SS is unless you are truly going hardcore offroad, the 1WD is usually just fine.
    It was been quipped that 2WD will get you about fifty feet further, where you shouldn't have tried to go anyway, than 1WD...
    Last edited by lmo1131; 11-06-2016 at 05:10 PM. Reason: add comment
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden
    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner
    1963 Dnepr

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lmo1131 View Post
    edit -

It was been quipped that 2WD will get you about fifty feet further, where you shouldn't have tried to go anyway, than 1WD...
    "that right there is funny"
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200