• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Problem With an Ilium Works 10-300 Shift Extension, and a Solution

exgman

In June of this year, I bought an Ilium Works 10-300 shift extension for my RT. I need this because arthritis in my left knee has made shifting difficult. I used it for a while, but found that the IW installation method, that is, pushing it over the rubber grommet on the lever did not hold very well. I discovered in the middle of a ride that the darn thing had fallen off.

I spoke with Ilium Works people about the problem at Das Rally and they suggested using electrical tape to beef up the diameter of the rubber grommet. I did that, but it still didn't feel secure. About 3000 miles into what turned out to be an 8900-mile ride, I found that it was loosening every day.

In Sonoma, California I spoke with a neighbor of a family member about the problem. This fellow has restored antique aircraft and Ford Model A cars. He took a look, went back to his shop, then drilled and tapped a 10-32 hole in the shift extension. He then placed a 10-32 3/8" set screw in hole and tightened it down into the rubber. Now, 5900 miles later, I'm back home in Massachusetts and the shift extension has not budged. Here are two photos...one with the unit in place on the RT's shift lever, and another of the set screws. Perhaps this is not a big problem for anyone else but I think it improves a lot on the Ilium Works solution:

DSC_3827.jpg

DSC_3828.jpg

I had the same problem with mine and temporarily secured it with a worm-screw hose clamp. Your solution is much neater.

Hello,
There should be no black rubber visible when the extender is properly installed. You can see rubber in the photo. I used a "C" clamp to press mine on.
Later,
Norm

Thanks Norm. I also used a "C" clamp, and what you see in the photo is the best I could do. Nonetheless, with a drilled and tapped set screw anchoring the piece, it has not budged in thousands of miles.

I think I'd rather rely on the set screw than a press fit...but that's just me.

BTW, here is the wording which IW uses to describe the installation: "To install the shift extension you simply push the shift extension over the shift lever. The shift extension has barbs machined on the inside to securely hold it in place. Easy installation, simple slip-on. No drilling or modifications required."

Last edited:
Back