Thread: Problem With an Ilium Works 10-300 Shift Extension, and a Solution

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Problem With an Ilium Works 10-300 Shift Extension, and a Solution

In June of this year, I bought an Ilium Works 10-300 shift extension for my RT. I need this because arthritis in my left knee has made shifting difficult. I used it for a while, but found that the IW installation method, that is, pushing it over the rubber grommet on the lever did not hold very well. I discovered in the middle of a ride that the darn thing had fallen off.

I spoke with Ilium Works people about the problem at Das Rally and they suggested using electrical tape to beef up the diameter of the rubber grommet. I did that, but it still didn't feel secure. About 3000 miles into what turned out to be an 8900-mile ride, I found that it was loosening every day.

In Sonoma, California I spoke with a neighbor of a family member about the problem. This fellow has restored antique aircraft and Ford Model A cars. He took a look, went back to his shop, then drilled and tapped a 10-32 hole in the shift extension. He then placed a 10-32 3/8" set screw in hole and tightened it down into the rubber. Now, 5900 miles later, I'm back home in Massachusetts and the shift extension has not budged. Here are two photos...one with the unit in place on the RT's shift lever, and another of the set screws. Perhaps this is not a big problem for anyone else but I think it improves a lot on the Ilium Works solution:

DSC_3827.jpg

DSC_3828.jpg
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    Watching the sunrise outdoors statistically increases your odds of having a good day. And needing a nap after lunch.

I had the same problem with mine and temporarily secured it with a worm-screw hose clamp. Your solution is much neater.
    2009 R1200RT, 2005 R1200C Montauk (The elusive Piedmont Red & Silver "350" commemorative model); and 2002 R1200C Montana
    Moderator of www.Chromeheads.org

Pretty lame IW doesn't fix this glaring defect using the same or other approach. I'm sure it wasn't dirt cheap.

I have one on my 15 RT and have no issues. I could not get it on the whole way it was so tight. I sprayed it with hair spray and muscled it on and it has not budged since. Not sure what is going on?

I love this fix though and if I have a issue I will copy it.

Hello,
    There should be no black rubber visible when the extender is properly installed. You can see rubber in the photo. I used a "C" clamp to press mine on.
    Later,
    Norm

Thanks Norm. I also used a "C" clamp, and what you see in the photo is the best I could do. Nonetheless, with a drilled and tapped set screw anchoring the piece, it has not budged in thousands of miles.

I think I'd rather rely on the set screw than a press fit...but that's just me.

BTW, here is the wording which IW uses to describe the installation: "To install the shift extension you simply push the shift extension over the shift lever. The shift extension has barbs machined on the inside to securely hold it in place. Easy installation, simple slip-on. No drilling or modifications required."
    Last edited by ExGMan; 11-24-2016 at 02:34 AM.
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    Watching the sunrise outdoors statistically increases your odds of having a good day. And needing a nap after lunch.