Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Packing for a camping trip

Packing for a camping trip

I just completed my first motorcycle camping trip on my GSA. I've only had the bike for one month so I'm still learning about this subject. I suspect I over packed as in keeping with the boy scout motto, "Be prepared". Everything having to do with the tent went into one Seal Line waterproof bag. Clothes in another waterproof bag both strapped one on top of the other. Stuff for preparing food went into my left side case and riding gear went into the other. The bike felt very heavy in slow maneuvers. All my camping gear is what a back packer would use for hiking.
    Your input is appreciated. Are you motorcycle campers minimum or maximum campers?

Quote Originally Posted by 1hpyrider View Post
    I just completed my first motorcycle camping trip on my GSA. I've only had the bike for one month so I'm still learning about this subject. I suspect I over packed as in keeping with the boy scout motto, "Be prepared". Everything having to do with the tent went into one Seal Line waterproof bag. Clothes in another waterproof bag both strapped one on top of the other. Stuff for preparing food went into my left side case and riding gear went into the other. The bike felt very heavy in slow maneuvers. All my camping gear is what a back packer would use for hiking.
    Your input is appreciated. Are you motorcycle campers minimum or maximum campers?
    Do it a few more times and then identify what you didn't use, or at least didn't need to use. Omit that stuff. And if you find that you needed something you didn't have, add that.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Did you adjust your suspension for passenger and gear? Even when solo I always set the bike up for at least two up depending on what I pack.
    Which brings me to packing. Pack only the essentials, stuff you need not want. It is always easier to stop at an outdoor store and pick up what you forgot/need.
    Lay out all your gear in the living room and organize it by function. I.E tent, pegs, poles and footprint, cooking system; stove, fuel pots, utensils etc. same with clothing etc.
    You’ll be amazed what you end up bringing, or not...
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, ‘17 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by RIDERR1150GSADV View Post
    Did you adjust your suspension for passenger and gear? Even when solo I always set the bike up for at least two up depending on what I pack.
    Which brings me to packing. Pack only the essentials, stuff you need not want. It is always easier to stop at an outdoor store and pick up what you forgot/need.
    Lay out all your gear in the living room and organize it by function. I.E tent, pegs, poles and footprint, cooking system; stove, fuel pots, utensils etc. same with clothing etc.
    I'm going to give your suggestions a try. I just threw things in I thought I would need for a five day trip. Live and learn

Quote Originally Posted by RIDERR1150GSADV View Post
    After your trip, repeat this exercise. Note what you used. and -- more importantly -- what you didn't use. Figure out why you didn't use an item. Rain gear, but no rain? Keep it in the list, it will rain sometime while you're traveling. Dress slacks? Leave them home (unless you're heading for a wedding!) You get the idea. It won't take many trips to get your list to the optimum for you.

Enjoy the adventure!
    J Goertz
    BMW MOAL
    2015 BMW R1200RT
    2012 Triumph Bonneville SE

Quote Originally Posted by jgoertz View Post
    After your trip, repeat this exercise. Note what you used. and -- more importantly -- what you didn't use. Figure out why you didn't use an item. Rain gear, but no rain? Keep it in the list, it will rain sometime while you're traveling. Dress slacks? Leave them home (unless you're heading for a wedding!) You get the idea. It won't take many trips to get your list to the optimum for you.

Enjoy the adventure!
    Thank you for your input. I went from Vestavia Hills, Al to Nashville, onto to the Natchez Trace, then back home. It was a great first time camping adventure. Rode in the rain 3 out of the last 4 days on the trip. Need that rain gear.

Here are a few thoughts on camping in addition to the excellent input you've already received:

1. Whenever possible, try to make sure anything you pack can serve more than one purpose. For example, for a pair of pants to wear around the campground, have the kind with zip off legs that can also serve as shorts. Mid-layer for riding...use it as a layer around the campground as well. Waterproof bag for your sleeping bag...flatten it and use it for stepping out of your tent to put boots/shoes on rather than stepping in the dirt.

2. Cooking...I will typically stop mid-afternoon and buy my groceries for cooking that evening (also, try to find a nice local micro beer for the evenings refreshment). I also carry a couple of the freeze dried meals just in case my route doesn't bring me to a place with a grocery store. You have to really check labels on freeze dried meals...many of them have ridiculous amounts of sodium and are most unhealthy. I carry a small, collapsable cooler to put my beer/groceries on ice until I get to the campground for the evening.

3. I really have great luck with U.S. Forest Service campgrounds. Typically well cared for and in beautiful locations...also can't beat the price as a senior!
    Larry Gregerson; Bend, OR
    MOA #93031

TravelsWithBarley.com
    In addition to the other suggestions I always try to keep the heavier stuff low and forward. How you load the bike can have as much impact as weight.
    '18 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '12 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet
    '15 Honda CRF250L for exploring places I'm afraid to take the big GSA!
    http://travelswithbarley.com/

Great advice

Thanks everyone for your great input. All stored in my memory extender, (note section of phone). Already planning the next trip. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by 1hpyrider View Post
    Thanks everyone for your great input. All stored in my memory extender, (note section of phone). Already planning the next trip. Thanks again.
    Speaking about memory extenders, here is some information from MOA web sites of the past. Look at the menu on the left, there is still a good bit of useful information.

It's too bad we don't maintain editorial like this on our web site any more.

Ian
    Last edited by Visian; 11-15-2018 at 10:27 PM.
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '07 Xchallenge || '13 CB500X || '14 Grom

I got a page not found message.

Or, was that your point?
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

You can go pretty deep down this rabbit hole. The previous posts all have sensible insight without getting into random offshoots like the tent vs hammock debates or the Kermit chair vs anything else debates.

Personally I like to carry a chair for extended rides so I always have a comfy spot to sit and drink my micro brews. And on that note my favourite is the Kermit chair, a very good piece of kit.

If you have a few days to get l lost and confused drop in on this thread
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/lets-...please.237723/
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk

The three things I always carry and hope not to use are: 1st Aid Kit, Tools, Tire Repair stuff. I do not omit these just because I didn't use them.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    I got a page not found message.

Or, was that your point?
    Yeah, me too. I was worried it was a FB link anyways
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    The three things I always carry and hope not to use are: 1st Aid Kit, Tools, Tire Repair stuff. I do not omit these just because I didn't use them.
    As well...hoping if you have it, perhaps it will prevent such incidents needing them. New First Aid kit every couple seasons also.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown