Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 86

Thread: Belgian adventure in US 2018

  1. #16
    Kein Nasebohrer RBEmerson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    SE PA
    Posts
    585
    The US is B I G - bigger than most Europeans understand. I suggest that instead of trying to see everything, do some research and pick an area that appeals to you. Think about spending some non-bike time in cities. Think about staying in one place and visit what's around that place.

    As I've said in my Alps thread, I made the mistake of trying to cover more passes and roads than makes sense. While part of my schedule was determined by meeting up with my (non-riding) family, part of their plans were set by my plans. In the end, I didn't stop at places I wanted to see, pushed hard to make my schedule, and... Switzerland, Tyrol, and Dolomites in a week? What was I thinking?
    Some people are wise. Some people are otherwise.

  2. #17
    Registered User ExGMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chestnut Hill, MA
    Posts
    1,447
    Quote Originally Posted by RBEmerson View Post
    While part of my schedule was determined by meeting up with my (non-riding) family, part of their plans were set by my plans.
    I have found in many trips on two wheels around the US that providing a possible itinerary to my family & friends is not a good thing. In telephone calls to them when I'm hundreds of miles away due mostly to weather, I've heard the question: "Where are you?" The implication of that is "Why aren't you here?"

    I've learned from that. I now give a wide window of days, and usually surprise them (in a good way) by showing up early.
    John Gamel
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    BMW CCA 2006 - Present; BMW MOA 2009-Present
    Walt Kelly: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

  3. #18
    Registered User Beemer01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chicago, Ill
    Posts
    1,135

    Thumbs up As your approximate agenda gels...

    Please do share with us. Some of my best rides have happened because a local rider pointed me to an astonishing road. There is a wealth of knowledge here. Someone earlier mentioned our Ďanonymous bookí. This is a small Tankbag sized directory of every BMW motorcycle dealer, every local BMW club and members who have stepped up and offered to be of service to a fellow member rider. This could be a place to camp, a place to change your oil/tires, or just someone to have coffee with.

    Iím a regional coordinator for MOA, email me at BMW122us@yahoo.com and Iíll set you up with this invaluable resource.

    Bryan

  4. #19
    Kein Nasebohrer RBEmerson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    SE PA
    Posts
    585
    Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    I have found in many trips on two wheels around the US that providing a possible itinerary to my family & friends is not a good thing. In telephone calls to them when I'm hundreds of miles away due mostly to weather, I've heard the question: "Where are you?" The implication of that is "Why aren't you here?"

    I've learned from that. I now give a wide window of days, and usually surprise them (in a good way) by showing up early.
    In the sailing world, the wise person says "I'll arrive at [some specific location]" and says "on [some specific date] I'll be somewhere]". Saying "I'll meet you at [some specific place] on [some specific date]" is likely to be the start of a very unpleasant sea story. While the time window may be smaller, thanks to much higher speeds than the 6-8 knots of a sail boat, the same caution stands for bike trips. How many ride reports include "we stayed [one or many day(s)]" while waiting for [parts|a change in the weather|recovery from injuries or sickness|someone else to show up]"? 'Nuff said. [/grin]

    In the matter of meeting with family, a) the destination was high on my "must do" list, and b) sometimes compromise with a non-riding spouse in unavoidable. At least if only to ensure avoiding an Ugly Scene. Or worse. [/grin] (again)
    Some people are wise. Some people are otherwise.

  5. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    89

    Blog is active

    The start date is coming closer and closer. Tickets have been booked for 27 February 2018.
    Very busy with the last preparations. Our blog is finally online :

    https://2begsww.wixsite.com/2begs

  6. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Covington, LA
    Posts
    92

    Congratulations on booking tickets.

    I'm located in southeast Louisiana, across the lake from New Orleans. If you get this far south, please look us up. Weather in Feb, Mar, Apr is great for riding here and in much of the Deep South. You won't want to visit New Orleans in June, July, Aug! You can find our club at gulfsouthbmw.org, or email me at beckgrcgb@yahoo.com. We'd happy to treat you to some Louisiana cuisine, put you up and visit if that's of interest to you.

    Best,

    Greg
    Greg

  7. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by beckgr View Post
    I'm located in southeast Louisiana, across the lake from New Orleans. If you get this far south, please look us up. Weather in Feb, Mar, Apr is great for riding here and in much of the Deep South. You won't want to visit New Orleans in June, July, Aug! You can find our club at gulfsouthbmw.org, or email me at beckgrcgb@yahoo.com. We'd happy to treat you to some Louisiana cuisine, put you up and visit if that's of interest to you.

    Best,

    Greg
    Dear Greg,

    Sent you an email.

    Kr,

    David

  8. #23
    Addicted to curves azgman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    1,015
    David,

    If you come through Arizona, please give me a shout out. I spent 3 years in Belgium (Gent) and loved every minute of it! I have room for you and have garage space and tools should that be required.

    mvg,
    Gerard
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511

  9. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    89

    Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by azgman View Post
    David,

    If you come through Arizona, please give me a shout out. I spent 3 years in Belgium (Gent) and loved every minute of it! I have room for you and have garage space and tools should that be required.

    mvg,
    Gerard
    Dear Gerard,

    Thank you for your reply and we will spending some time in Arizona. This is the map I made based upon our routes.
    https://www.google.be/maps/@33.86469...tnMFY8js?hl=nl

    So I will certainly contact you, will be end of March or early April.

    Kind regards,

    David

  10. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    176
    Looking at your proposed route -- you'll be missing Barber's Vintage Motorsports Museum in Birmingham, AL. This is the world's largest motorcycle museum (listed in the Guiness Book of World Records). If possible, you may want to reroute your early trip segments to go by Barber's and spend a few hours (or more) there. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

    Barber's is located just off Exit 140 on I-20, just east of metro Birmingham, AL. More infor about the museum can be found at http://www.barbermuseum.org/.
    J Goertz
    BMW MOAL
    2015 BMW R1200RT
    2012 Triumph Bonneville SE

  11. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by jgoertz View Post
    Looking at your proposed route -- you'll be missing Barber's Vintage Motorsports Museum in Birmingham, AL. This is the world's largest motorcycle museum (listed in the Guiness Book of World Records). If possible, you may want to reroute your early trip segments to go by Barber's and spend a few hours (or more) there. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

    Barber's is located just off Exit 140 on I-20, just east of metro Birmingham, AL. More infor about the museum can be found at http://www.barbermuseum.org/.
    Definitely a must do, and well worth ones time.
    Gail Thorne
    2017 F700GS

  12. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by shortythorne View Post
    Definitely a must do, and well worth ones time.
    Thanks for the information. Will make a waypoint and see we can make a visit. Always very useful this kind of information

  13. #28

    Lwr48 (all 48 states) with at least 1 favorite rd in each one. Now going to the Alps

    Quote Originally Posted by jaakgs View Post
    Hi,

    After several years of traveling in Europe my spous and I are planning to cross the ocean and to spent traveling a couple of months in Amerika.
    I don't know if this is the right place but I'm looking for information must do roads and things to see.
    We have just started to collect information and good place to start, was my idea, is with like minded.
    It is a small question but I hope I will receive a lot of information.
    The plan is to do Alaska, Canada and rest of the US, so every information is welcome.
    Of course I'm willing to share my experience.
    Hello Jaakgs I'm headed to Stuttgart in June 2018. Want to rent a bike and spend a week in the Alps. Looking for info on rentals (I ride 1150rt & 1200 GS), roads and where to stay cheap & safe. Usually sleep in my hammock in US, Canada.
    I've got 150k miles of traveling around the US and Canada. Be Glad to swap info. Where are you starting your adventure in the states. I live just out side of DC in Virginia and could most likely help with touring Pa to NC.
    But like the title says have found great roads in every state, except Fla. they may be there but I haven't found them. Did a 4k GS tour of the mountains in CA from LA to Oregon. Best trip ever. Suggest you look into http://www.butlermaps.com/ best maps out west, but Southern US version a little weak. haven't yet used the New England to review. but great to read and study lay a course then use the gps while riding. I have only rented from Motorquest in CA & Alaska and they have been great. They have a good deal driving bikes up to Alaska in the spring and also driving them back in the fall.

    anyway let me know if you want to correspond and trade info. Dates and what ever. I met several tour Europeans on my travels and they all are having a great time. Some say that the place is to big others say they wish they had talk to more people before coming.
    Look forward to hearing from you.
    any others that want to swap info please feel free.

  14. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by eknudsen View Post
    Hello Jaakgs I'm headed to Stuttgart in June 2018. Want to rent a bike and spend a week in the Alps. Looking for info on rentals (I ride 1150rt & 1200 GS), roads and where to stay cheap & safe. Usually sleep in my hammock in US, Canada.
    I've got 150k miles of traveling around the US and Canada. Be Glad to swap info. Where are you starting your adventure in the states. I live just out side of DC in Virginia and could most likely help with touring Pa to NC.
    But like the title says have found great roads in every state, except Fla. they may be there but I haven't found them. Did a 4k GS tour of the mountains in CA from LA to Oregon. Best trip ever. Suggest you look into http://www.butlermaps.com/ best maps out west, but Southern US version a little weak. haven't yet used the New England to review. but great to read and study lay a course then use the gps while riding. I have only rented from Motorquest in CA & Alaska and they have been great. They have a good deal driving bikes up to Alaska in the spring and also driving them back in the fall.

    anyway let me know if you want to correspond and trade info. Dates and what ever. I met several tour Europeans on my travels and they all are having a great time. Some say that the place is to big others say they wish they had talk to more people before coming.
    Look forward to hearing from you.
    any others that want to swap info please feel free.
    Hi, this a website I found when preparing for my trip and I think this can be useful for you http://knopftours.com/Web-Site/Hello.html. I don't know another place to rent a bike in Germany but I will check around. A week is not much for the Alps but should be able to provide you with some ideas. Sleeping is not an issue, lots of camping, hotels, hostels and B&Bs. June can be cold.
    On this map you can find our planned route, as a bit changed due to suggestions :-)
    https://www.google.be/maps/@46.32824...tnMFY8js?hl=nl
    and this our blog side https://2begsww.wixsite.com/2begs

    Maybe it is easier to communicate via email?

  15. #30
    Addicted to curves azgman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    1,015
    Herr Knopf is well regarded by many who have used his services.
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •