Thread: Crossing into Mexico at Tijuana border

Crossing into Mexico at Tijuana border

All/anyone have any info on boarder crossing into and back at CA/Tijuana boarder. I have a passport, I plan to stay 3-5 days, travel about an hour or so south to the coast to Playa La Mission. I know I need insurance and if I top off my tank in USA I should be able to get there and back across without needing gas in Mexico. I also know don't argue with police and have money for the tolls.
    1. But if needed is the gas ok to use and do they have premium and is worth the extra cost?
    2. Can I split the traffic at the crossing to get up to the check point or is there a motorcycle lane and if I split it will I get in trouble?

Any other info and recommendations are greatly appreciated and thank you

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by jsphillips View Post
    All/anyone have any info on boarder crossing into and back at CA/Tijuana boarder. I have a passport, I plan to stay 3-5 days, travel about an hour or so south to the coast to Playa La Mission. I know I need insurance and if I top off my tank in USA I should be able to get there and back across without needing gas in Mexico. I also know don't argue with police and have money for the tolls.
    1. But if needed is the gas ok to use and do they have premium and is worth the extra cost?
    2. Can I split the traffic at the crossing to get up to the check point or is there a motorcycle lane and if I split it will I get in trouble?

Any other info and recommendations are greatly appreciated and thank you

Steve
    No joking from me on this...

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html

Quote Originally Posted by soocom1 View Post

Thank you I will take this into consideration while traveling there

I’ve only taken a bike in at the Lukeville/Sonoyta crossing, but if I were headed to yourq destination I’d be tempted to go a few miles east to the smaller crossing at Tecate. Shorter lines and less of a circus atmosphere once across, since nothing can be more of a circus than Tijuana.

Gas shouldn’t be a problem, especially if you cross with a full tank. Enjoy the beach!

Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S PD — 1993 R100GS — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    I’ve only taken a bike in at the Lukeville/Sonoyta crossing, but if I were headed to yourq destination I’d be tempted to go a few miles east to the smaller crossing at Tecate. Shorter lines and less of a circus atmosphere once across, since nothing can be more of a circus than Tijuana.

Gas shouldn’t be a problem, especially if you cross with a full tank. Enjoy the beach!

Best,
    DG
    Good idea thanks for the help