Thread: How far south is safe! (no snow Mid January)

How far south is safe! (no snow Mid January)

My son and I would like to take a multi-day ride this winter, he can get some time off mid-January and we live in upstate NY (Otsego County). The plan is to trailer far enough south that snow and ice are not a probability (i didn't say possibility!) So the question is, generally (by latitude or cities) how far south do we have to go before we can go from 4 wheels to two? I don't mind cold, just want to avoid ice, snow and salt.

So, you're looking at trailering one day south, riding for two days, then trailering back? What would be destinations that are inviting for you once you get south? Maybe you should work backwards with a riding area, then checking almanac weather around a largish city on the northern edge of your proposed riding area.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

I would suggest the area around Greenville, SC. A lot of good riding in upstate SC and northern GA. Our snow is typically in late Feb.and early March. I ride year round in this area. Additionally there is a BMW dealer in Greenville and Asheville, NC.

Once you get a taste of the roads in SC & GA, come back for the Fontana Dam BMW MOA Weekend Getaway in late April (usually the 3rd week).
    John Gamel
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    BMW CCA 2006 - Present; BMW MOA 2009-Present
    Walt Kelly: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    Once you get a taste of the roads in SC & GA, come back for the Fontana Dam BMW MOA Weekend Getaway in late April (usually the 3rd week).
    Rode down to Wilmington SC this (last?) summer- nice - and Ashville a few summers ago- definitely loving the south- though Nova Scotia was something else- and cooler for my thick Northern blood!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    So, you're looking at trailering one day south, riding for two days, then trailering back? What would be destinations that are inviting for you once you get south? Maybe you should work backwards with a riding area, then checking almanac weather around a largish city on the northern edge of your proposed riding area.
    Well, when we have some idea of where we start the real ride, we can pick a destination- he has a friend in Arkansas and I a cuz in Ashville, though when we travel, it's more for the riding than the visiting. Besides, as you observed, if we're lucky, we'll get maybe three full days of riding. On the other hand, the word "destination" is misleading- we have (let's say) three days to get back to the car and trailer!!lol

To your suggestion (we are early thinking so we don't know how much time he'll have) I'm looking for the Northernmost edge of mid-January ridable, ) then we can get reasonable about where. That's also why I was thinking that geolocation (latitude) might be a better way to approach this.

Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Brilliant!! That's it! Thank-you.

That's the right concept for us- I'm on a roll:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=snow...px7ynBxC6OHhM: