Thread: Adaptiv Technologies TPX 2.0 Radar and Laser Detector Review

Adaptiv Technologies TPX 2.0 Radar and Laser Detector Review

Hi All

Here's my new review of Adaptiv Technology's TPX 2.0 Radar and Laser Detector for motorcycles. Viable protection from the state's predatory revenue generation? Tune in and find out!

-MKL
    Moshe K. Levy
    Moto Mouth Moshe https://www.youtube.com/c/motomouthmoshe
    1973 BMW R75/5 / 1987 Yamaha YSR50 / 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer / 2015 BMW R1200RT

Thanks for the review.
    I had always thought this unit was waterproof and was surprised when you mentioned it was not.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Thanks for the review.
    I had always thought this unit was waterproof and was surprised when you mentioned it was not.
    It's "water resistant" - not waterproof. Most owners commenting on my video report no problems in rain or otherwise, but I had to report what the manufacturer says.

-MKL
    Moshe K. Levy
    Moto Mouth Moshe https://www.youtube.com/c/motomouthmoshe
    1973 BMW R75/5 / 1987 Yamaha YSR50 / 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer / 2015 BMW R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by moshe_levy View Post
    It's "water resistant" - not waterproof. Most owners commenting on my video report no problems in rain or otherwise, but I had to report what the manufacturer says.

-MKL
    Thanks
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

I was in the Washington Air National Guard for many years. I knew quite a few of the Security Police...who were LEOs in their Mon-Fri jobs. One was a Lieutenant in the Washington State Patrol. I asked him how well the laser detectors worked. With a big grin, he said they let you be the second person to know you were getting a ticket.

Now think about that a minute...who was the first person to know you were getting a ticket?
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6

Quote Originally Posted by daboo View Post
    I was in the Washington Air National Guard for many years. I knew quite a few of the Security Police...who were LEOs in their Mon-Fri jobs. One was a Lieutenant in the Washington State Patrol. I asked him how well the laser detectors worked. With a big grin, he said they let you be the second person to know you were getting a ticket.

Now think about that a minute...who was the first person to know you were getting a ticket?
    I would expect such a statement. Unlike radar which you might get a warning when it hits a different vehicle, laser is sufficiently pinpoint that you seldom will get a warning.

What does offend me is the wisea$$ attitude of the LEO who was quoted. If this is really about safety and not $$$ then a more civic minded attitude might be welcome.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Probably my fault in your interpretation, not the LEO I mentioned. He wasn't being a wisea$$. It was just a good laugh shared between two friends.

But there was a certain amount of logic behind his statement.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6

I have one of these. It is on the shelf in the shop. I removed it from my bike and replaced it with a Valentine 1.

I did so for two reasons. I ride bikes with windshields but not full fairings (except my K75RTP in the winter). I don't use Bluetooth or any type of earphone.

When riding at up to 80 mph I can clearly hear the V1 and see the visual display. The Adaptiv unit has a visual display that washes out in sunlight and the audio is too feeble to hear while riding, eben at 30 or 40 mph. For me, it was useless as a warning device. So I got another - my 3rd - V1.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/