• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

tire pressure monitoring systems 2005 r 1200 rt

baronk

I am ready for more farkle and am thinking about a TPMS. There are so many choices from under $100 to over $300; anybody have any recommendations?

I am ready for more farkle and am thinking about a TPMS. There are so many choices from under $100 to over $300; anybody have any recommendations?

Mobiletron. http://www.mobiletron.com/b_eng_products_view.asp?FkindNo=F000004&SkindNo=S000032&Pd_Id=3559 Very nice system. Put it in my first ('07) R1200R - as far as I know it's still working (Hi Brian!) - after about 4 years and 60,000 miles. Got a newer R1200R ('12) and put the exact same system on it..

Gives temperature and pressure. Real time. Can be read without even starting the engine.

Ordering info:
*Gary S Tsai* /Operations Manager/
*REGITAR USA, INC*
2575 Container Drive
Montgomery, AL 36109
Tel: 334.244.1885 <tel:334.244.1885>
Toll Free: 877-REGITAR (734.4827 <tel:734.4827>)
Fax: 334.244.1901 <tel:334.244.1901>
www.regitar.com <http://www.regitar.com/>

Say Hi to Gary when you call. Cost was around $120 - dunno if that's changed or not. I believe they also now have a west coast distributor too..

tire pressure monitoring system-

Mobiletron. http://www.mobiletron.com/b_eng_products_view.asp?FkindNo=F000004&SkindNo=S000032&Pd_Id=3559 Very nice system. Put it in my first ('07) R1200R - as far as I know it's still working (Hi Brian!) - after about 4 years and 60,000 miles. Got a newer R1200R ('12) and put the exact same system on it..

Gives temperature and pressure. Real time. Can be read without even starting the engine.

Ordering info:
*Gary S Tsai* /Operations Manager/
*REGITAR USA, INC*
2575 Container Drive
Montgomery, AL 36109
Tel: 334.244.1885 <tel:334.244.1885>
Toll Free: 877-REGITAR (734.4827 <tel:734.4827>)
Fax: 334.244.1901 <tel:334.244.1901>
www.regitar.com <http://www.regitar.com/>

Say Hi to Gary when you call. Cost was around $120 - dunno if that's changed or not. I believe they also now have a west coast distributor too..
Thanks. I will check this one out, all the ones I have seen on the internet require you to ride for 5 or more minutes to get a reading; I guess if you need air then you go home and fill up?

tire pressure monitoring system

I installed the Steelmate TP-90 on mine

Very pleased with it.

Thanks for the input. I will check it out; I like how it looks above the dash. I have a BMW shelf to block out the dash light glare on the windshield at night, and have nothing mounted on it.

To put it above the dash I had to build an extension plate for the ram mount.
Finding longer M3 screws was also a challenge. But I'm pleased with the result.

To put it above the dash I had to build an extension plate for the ram mount.
Finding longer M3 screws was also a challenge. But I'm pleased with the result.

Quite the inventor/designer/fabricator, necessity is the mother of invention, thanks.

Thanks. I will check this one out, all the ones I have seen on the internet require you to ride for 5 or more minutes to get a reading; I guess if you need air then you go home and fill up?

Guess so. Not a problem with the Mobiletron. It reads within a minute of receiving power (it's wired on a switched circuit.) No movement is necessary. I check mine in the garage, or on my driveway after pushing the bike out if I'm in a hurry. It becomes 2nd nature.

BTW - the thead-on lump ones have several drawbacks IMHO:

1. They don't measure tire temperature. That's actually really good to know. Tire pressure varies a LOT with temperature. The BMW built in system compensates for it and gives you a reading of what the pressure would be if the tire was at 20C. No aftermarket one does this. So knowing that the front is 32PSI when the tire is 55F - and that's OK - is a good thing. Once it warms up (and it can easily get up to 85F even on a 55F day) - the pressure will rise and be around 38PSI on a warm tire.

2. They provide a leak potential. Since they require the Schrader valve to be open to work - the only seal provided on the valve stem is the seal on the lump. Since the lump has to be removed to fill/adjust the pressure - chances of it developing a leak are much greater.

3. The lump has to be R&R to adjust pressure. Dunno about you - but every time I take a pressure reading as I fill a tire, I typically lose 1PSI of tire pressure. With a lump, you have to rely on your hand gauge - and it becomes a fussy job to actually end up at the pressure you want. With the Mobileton, I can read the pressure as I fill (or bleed down) the tire. No guesswork, no lost pressure.

4. The lump MAY hit your front caliper. With many of the BMW front rims with the valve in the spoke of the rim - that puts the lump right in the path of the caliper as the tire turns. Quite a few people have found this simply won't work.

5. Chance of theft? Possible, probably unlikely but some people are paranoid about this sort of thing. Some of the lumps use a tiny allen screw to lock them to the valve stem - that complicated R&R when checking/adjusting pressure - and I've heard of the allen screw rusting and becoming difficult to loosen.

That's my read on them. The Mobiletron avoids all these potential hassles, mounts nicely on the bike, seems to be long-lasting, it's backlit for night use (wish it came with orange lighting though..) and the price is pretty darn reasonable. I've had a LOT of other aftermarket TPMS setups - and this is the only one I've bought twice - and can unconditionally recommend to people. It works. Best thing I can say about it.

Guess so. Not a problem with the Mobiletron. It reads within a minute of receiving power (it's wired on a switched circuit.) No movement is necessary. I check mine in the garage, or on my driveway after pushing the bike out if I'm in a hurry. It becomes 2nd nature.

BTW - the thead-on lump ones have several drawbacks IMHO:

1. They don't measure tire temperature. That's actually really good to know. Tire pressure varies a LOT with temperature. The BMW built in system compensates for it and gives you a reading of what the pressure would be if the tire was at 20C. No aftermarket one does this. So knowing that the front is 32PSI when the tire is 55F - and that's OK - is a good thing. Once it warms up (and it can easily get up to 85F even on a 55F day) - the pressure will rise and be around 38PSI on a warm tire.

2. They provide a leak potential. Since they require the Schrader valve to be open to work - the only seal provided on the valve stem is the seal on the lump. Since the lump has to be removed to fill/adjust the pressure - chances of it developing a leak are much greater.

3. The lump has to be R&R to adjust pressure. Dunno about you - but every time I take a pressure reading as I fill a tire, I typically lose 1PSI of tire pressure. With a lump, you have to rely on your hand gauge - and it becomes a fussy job to actually end up at the pressure you want. With the Mobileton, I can read the pressure as I fill (or bleed down) the tire. No guesswork, no lost pressure.

4. The lump MAY hit your front caliper. With many of the BMW front rims with the valve in the spoke of the rim - that puts the lump right in the path of the caliper as the tire turns. Quite a few people have found this simply won't work.

5. Chance of theft? Possible, probably unlikely but some people are paranoid about this sort of thing. Some of the lumps use a tiny allen screw to lock them to the valve stem - that complicated R&R when checking/adjusting pressure - and I've heard of the allen screw rusting and becoming difficult to loosen.

That's my read on them. The Mobiletron avoids all these potential hassles, mounts nicely on the bike, seems to be long-lasting, it's backlit for night use (wish it came with orange lighting though..) and the price is pretty darn reasonable. I've had a LOT of other aftermarket TPMS setups - and this is the only one I've bought twice - and can unconditionally recommend to people. It works. Best thing I can say about it.

I read a review that said you want a TPMS to have high and low warnings for pressure and temp that can be adjusted, 12 v system, backlit display, wireless sensors, can obtain readings without driving the bike, and waterproof display. Looks like the Mobiletron has a lot of these features.

I read a review that said you want a TPMS to have high and low warnings for pressure and temp that can be adjusted, 12 v system, backlit display, wireless sensors, can obtain readings without driving the bike, and waterproof display. Looks like the Mobiletron has a lot of these features.

The Steelmate system has all of them except that you cannot obtain a reading without riding. You will get real time data at 20kph +. It will keep displaying the last pressure reading though.
It also has a fast/slow leakage alarm and a low battery indicator.
The sensor batteries are replaceable with CR1632 without having to remove the tire.

It doesn't show the tire temp like the Mobiletron or compensate the pressure reading for 20c like the OEM.

The sensors are low profile and do not interfere with the front caliper on my R1200Rt which has the front tire valve on the side of the rim.

The Mobiletron looks like a good system but I could not find for how much. The Steelmate costs less than $100

The Steelmate system has all of them except that you cannot obtain a reading without riding. You will get real time data at 20kph +. It will keep displaying the last pressure reading though.
It also has a fast/slow leakage alarm and a low battery indicator.
The sensor batteries are replaceable with CR1632 without having to remove the tire.

It doesn't show the tire temp like the Mobiletron or compensate the pressure reading for 20c like the OEM.

The sensors are low profile and do not interfere with the front caliper on my R1200Rt which has the front tire valve on the side of the rim.

The Mobiletron looks like a good system but I could not find for how much. The Steelmate costs less than $100

Thanks for the additional data. My attention has been temporarily diverted to a brake failure light and loss of abs/servo capability for the rear brake on my 2005 rt after riding this weekend. Once I get this sorted out I will return to the TPMS issue.

Back