• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tire changer

Any advice on a tire changer that works not to expensive? Or would you pry out your wallet and pay the $30 to $50 per wheel to have it changed and balanced?

I do my own but it isn't just a matter of cost. The nearest motorcycle shop is 125 miles away and nearest BMW dealer about 400 miles away. So ordering tires and doing it myself just makes sense.

I started with tire irons on a 2x4 box. I now have a car wheel welded to a post and lined with rubber hose on the rim, and a center hold-down. I use an automotive type on-floor bead breaker from JC Whitney and still use tire irons from Motion Pro.

I do my own but it isn't just a matter of cost. The nearest motorcycle shop is 125 miles away and nearest BMW dealer about 400 miles away. So ordering tires and doing it myself just makes sense.

I started with tire irons on a 2x4 box. I now have a car wheel welded to a post and lined with rubber hose on the rim, and a center hold-down. I use an automotive type on-floor bead breaker from JC Whitney and still use tire irons from Motion Pro.

Interesting.
Do you have a picture?
OM

I just went through dealing with an inexpensive tire changer. I had bought one of the Harbor Freight motorcycle units to try to change my own tires. Bought a set of Michelin Pilots and went about trying to use it. First problem was that the HF unit comes in from the outside of the tire to clamp it into position, so it clamps against the rubber. I found that when i tried to do any serious wrenching that the whole thing would flip out of the clamp, so I took my wheels to the dealer, had to get them official BMW weights.:)

I guess my trouble was I was trying to use it to hold the wheel while I broke the bead, looks like it is designed to have the bead broken and the rim exposed to work. OOPS !!! I had bought some levers designed to break the bead while on the stand, so that was my mind set, the same process as doing a car wheel.

I decided to modify the unit, there are 3 flat surfaces as a part of each clamping arm attachment, I reversed them all so that they faced toward the outside. I bolted a wood piece to each flat surface, then glued a thick piece of rubber to each wood surface. Now when I cranked the plate out it will grab the wheel from the inside edge of the rim, leaving the tire free so I can work on it. Haven't used it yet, so I cannot report if my design change worked. I don't think the clamping assembly of the HF unit lifts the wheel high enough for the downside rotor to clear, so one rotor may have to be removed when doing a front wheel.

That idea of using a auto wheel edged with rubber is a clever idea, wheel held in center, edge free for working it off, the offset of the rim will leave room for the rotor. Of course you would have to make a mounting system to hold it to the floor and bring it to a working height and be able to break in apart for storage.

Last edited:
Any advice on a tire changer that works not to expensive? Or would you pry out your wallet and pay the $30 to $50 per wheel to have it changed and balanced?

My tire changer, and he works pretty cheap :)We would be broke if we had to pay someone else to change as many tires as we go thru in a year. 003.jpg

tire changer

My tire changer or wannabe changer cheap also old fat and lazy personal quality's aside have several friends close who ride so thinking one changer between us , looking at a no mar set with receiver hitch base for ease of movement between users thinking last user has to help next guy. Appreciate other opinions on no mar changers and plan of action. Think Paul's system would work if I changed last 3 personal quality's.

I got the job done for many years with three short tire irons. I finally got tired of wrestling the rim and tire across the garage floor, but still balked at the cost and space required for a machine I'd use only every other year. I finally bought a Harbor Freight Tire Changer with motorcycle wheel attachment, both purchased when on sale, with 20% off coupons. I added a Mojolever and MojoBlocks to better hold and protect the rim. Total investment ~$210. Works great, no disk interference on my RT wheels.

Most mount the changer to the garage floor with anchors, some mount it on a shipping pallet. Somewhere, long ago, I acquired a 2ft by 3ft piece of 3/8" steel plate, usually used as temporary welding table. I drilled and tapped it, and mounted the changer on one corner. I park a car on the opposite corner to secure it. Between tire changes, the changer goes back in the box and is stored on a shelf, the steel plate is stored in my plywood stack.

I got a decent price on a No-Mar, several years ago...so I bit . It actually works very well, but IMO the key is plenty of proper lube & patience . If you go that route ? I recommend the wheel clamp upgrade & several rim savers...Well worth the reasonable extra cost . The overall cost of them has come down , mine was a demo-show special.

Interesting.
Do you have a picture?
OM

OK, here is a photo I took today.

The perforated pipe was already in the floor making the project easy. I welded the wheel to the top of the pipe and cushioned the rim with a split hose.

The center hold-down is a threaded rod with a loop on the bottom end. It can be adjusted as needed with the cross-pin which is visible, but barely, in the photo. I use Motion Pro tire irons.

It isn't a Coats 220 but it beats kneeling, working on a wood box.

Attachments

• Tirestand.jpg
    Tirestand.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 720
Looks like it should do the trick. It's nice to not be on your hands and knees while wrestling a tire and wheel.
I normally don't do many but this year I have done 11 so far, with 2 more 16-6.50X8 Carlisle Turf Saver tires due in tomorrow. I hope I can stop at thirteen- for this year.
I'm also using the Motion Pro irons, for the most part. Had to use the big irons on the pickup tire change.
I'm sure the Members that do their own tires will find your rig interesting :thumb
Gary

As an alternative you might google for the video on using heavy duty zip ties for mounting / dismounting tires. I had god luck with the Harbor freight unit, motorcycle adapter, and NoMar bar until a m/c tire shop opened nearby and only charges $20 a tire.

Depends on how many tires you're think about changing and how often:D

P1000394.JPG
Not only need room for a changer...but some of these as well if you are popular:wave

Waiting on trip to recycler/shredder 100 miles away next week ...no ride day:bluduh

Depends on how many tires you're think about changing and how often:D

View attachment 58806
Not only need room for a changer...but some of these as well if you are popular:wave

Waiting on trip to recycler/shredder 100 miles away next week ...no ride day:bluduh

Ha! Nothing cements a friendship like owning a tire changer. I'm fortunate to be able to dispose of my tires at the county transfer point at no cost.

When folks offer $$ I almost always tell them to keep their money where I can't see it, or where the Sun never shines. But over the years I have found some mighty fine single malt Scotch, or good Irish whiskey left on the work bench when folks ride away. I always turn down money but seldom return the fine libations. :)

Last edited:
When folks offer $$ I almost always tell them to keep their money where I can't see it, or where the Sun never shines. But over the years I have found some mighty find single malt Scotch, or good Irish whiskey left on the work bench when folks ride away. I always turn down money but seldom return the fine libations. :)
This. Same at my place. I have s No-Mar some tires are easy some are a royal pita, one Goldwing rear I couldn't get on. Warm tires make all the difference and I think for my next change I'm buying some used tire warmers to get the tires good and hot for mounting.

I've changed well over 25 tires so far so an investment in warmers still gets the savings in my favor.

Balancing?

I'm considering changing my own tires but I'm concerned about balancing them. Am I missing something? Isn't anyone balancing tire after installation?

I'm considering changing my own tires but I'm concerned about balancing them. Am I missing something? Isn't anyone balancing tire after installation?

I balance my tires after I mount them. I built my own balance stand using some steel and patio door rollers from the hardare store. The trick is you need an adaptor for the rear wheels that don't have axles. I have a replica of the factory tool for the four and five bolt wheels used on classic K bikes and Oilheads. I have the Mark Parnes adaptor for Voni's F800 wheel.

Back