• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Center Stand and Dropped it in Garage

So the other day I attempted to take the R1200RT off the center stand. The center stand was sitting on top of the Park N Move dolly. As it came of the center stand, the R1200RT started leaning away from me, I was stand on the left of the bike, and I was not able to save it and it fell on its right side, scratching the engine valve cover and right side case. What I have noticed on multiple times of putting on center stand and taking off, the R1200RT always wants to lean right. In fact when I push down on the center stand so that it just touches the ground and get ready to stand on the lever, the bike is already tilting/leaning towards the right, ie away from me. Is there something wrong with my center stand or the bike?

I also ride a Suzuki Burgman 400, and never had any issues. Especially this leaning to the right issue while trying to put it on the center stand.

So the other day I attempted to take the R1200RT off the center stand. The center stand was sitting on top of the Park N Move dolly. As it came of the center stand, the R1200RT started leaning away from me, I was stand on the left of the bike, and I was not able to save it and it fell on its right side, scratching the engine valve cover and right side case. What I have noticed on multiple times of putting on center stand and taking off, the R1200RT always wants to lean right. In fact when I push down on the center stand so that it just touches the ground and get ready to stand on the lever, the bike is already tilting/leaning towards the right, ie away from me. Is there something wrong with my center stand or the bike?

I also ride a Suzuki Burgman 400, and never had any issues. Especially this leaning to the right issue while trying to put it on the center stand.

It helps to pull up the bike on center stand on the Park N Move if you place two pieces of 3/4 plywood, or rubber mats under the wheels.
Place the mats on the floor properly spaced, roll the bike on then push the Park... under.

temesvar

I do that already when trying to get it onto the Park N Move. It just scares me to use the center stand now at this point, with and without the Park N Move, due to the leaning/tilting to the right. I am used to the the Burgman being flat when trying to get onto center stand, and therefore very concerned now that the R1200RT and/or the center stand is not working properly as the bike is not level until it is fully lifted onto center stand. I will try and take pictures/videos then next time I try to get it up onto the center stand to see if it is just my visual perception or there is physically something wrong.

Have you looked at the bolts that are the center stand pivots? They haven't been discussed much lately, but I recall there once was some discussion about the bolts loosening or shearing off.:scratch

I don't know if it is what you encountered, but if the center stand and the park and move are not correctly aligned, the tang (is that what you call the part you stand on?) on the center stand will foul the wheel bracket on the park and move.

Put the bike on the centerstand on a level floor - not the park and move gizmo - and then check the rear wheel for plumb with a level. That will tell you for sure whether the bike leans right on the centerstand with no need to guess.

Lacking an accurate level, measure very carefully from the floor to the center of either the swing arm or paralever pivots.

Last edited:
Something a shop owner taught me - as he moved dozens of bikes out and into his shop every morning and evening. WHENEVER taking a bike off the centerstand, or walking it around - put the sidestand down first. If it feels like it's getting away from you - pull it toward you onto the sidestand. If you're on sloping ground - put it in gear and use the clutch as a brake.

Easy..

For many of us it is not possible to touch the ground if the bike is on the centre stand. How is that done safely?

temesvar

I do that already when trying to get it onto the Park N Move. It just scares me to use the center stand now at this point, with and without the Park N Move, due to the leaning/tilting to the right. I am used to the the Burgman being flat when trying to get onto center stand, and therefore very concerned now that the R1200RT and/or the center stand is not working properly as the bike is not level until it is fully lifted onto center stand. I will try and take pictures/videos then next time I try to get it up onto the center stand to see if it is just my visual perception or there is physically something wrong.

There is a good chance that the right side bolt that holds the stand is broken, or may be missing all together! Have it on side stand, and
try to move it.

i never take a bike off the center stand....unless I am on the bike. far more control.

I also sit on the bike when taking it off the centerstand.
If the bike happens to tip left or right it's easy to catch with my legs.
It helps if you have long legs.

I don't take the bike off center stand while standing next to bike. I could see it getting away especially if some sort of dolly is involved- not sure what those are exactly. I get up on the bike to go forward and off the mainstand.

If you happen to use the side-stand as a safety, coming down off the center-stand, it's good to be careful to keep mind of your foot position. If the bounce-down when the bike comes off the center-stand happens to have a foot under the side-stand.......there is usually a limp involved :eek
OM

For many of us it is not possible to touch the ground if the bike is on the centre stand. How is that done safely?

I have a 28" inseam, so my RT is a handful under any conditions. Like "mlytle", I never take the bike off the center stand unless I'm sitting on it. First, I put the side stand down, then slide my butt to the right and push off with my right foot while throwing my body-weight forward. If the bike leans to the left, the side stand will get it. If it leans to the right, my right leg is there. In reality, the bike always comes down pretty straight and I catch it with both feet. Works for me. I wouldn't even think of trying to get the bike off the center stand while standing next to it. I remember reading in the forums someone who advocated turning the front wheel to the right when taking the bike off the center stand while standing on the left. That way, the bike will lean to the left if it leans, and you are on that side to hold it up. Never tried it, but it sounds correct.

I have a 28" inseam, so my RT is a handful under any conditions. Like "mlytle", I never take the bike off the center stand unless I'm sitting on it. First, I put the side stand down, then slide my butt to the right and push off with my right foot while throwing my body-weight forward. If the bike leans to the left, the side stand will get it. If it leans to the right, my right leg is there. In reality, the bike always comes down pretty straight and I catch it with both feet. Works for me. I wouldn't even think of trying to get the bike off the center stand while standing next to it. I remember reading in the forums someone who advocated turning the front wheel to the right when taking the bike off the center stand while standing on the left. That way, the bike will lean to the left if it leans, and you are on that side to hold it up. Never tried it, but it sounds correct.

We all do as we find it right, and if it works for us, that's the way to do it. I would never try to do it your way, as i find it unsafe, hard on the stand,and not always possible. As you just mentioned, the bike always comes down pretty straight. With the side stand down, all you have to do to let it lean your way. But let me ask you this: what if your attempt to pull the bike on center stand fails, and rolls forward down? Can't hold it?
Anyways, the OP of this thread mentioned having the bike on the Park_N_Move. I don't think is wise to lower the bike from center stand sitting on,even if you have a 36 inseam!

We all do as we find it right, and if it works for us, that's the way to do it. I would never try to do it your way, as i find it unsafe, hard on the stand,and not always possible. As you just mentioned, the bike always comes down pretty straight. With the side stand down, all you have to do to let it lean your way. But let me ask you this: what if your attempt to pull the bike on center stand fails, and rolls forward down? Can't hold it?
Anyways, the OP of this thread mentioned having the bike on the Park_N_Move. I don't think is wise to lower the bike from center stand sitting on,even if you have a 36 inseam!

I never put the bike on the center stand except in controlled conditions (flat, level, solid). That said, I never have a problem getting the bike ON the center stand. Can't see how my way of getting it OFF would be "hard on the stand." As you said, "whatever works". Many of us have to improvise in order to ride the bike we want to ride.

Back