Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Center Stand and Dropped it in Garage

Center Stand and Dropped it in Garage

So the other day I attempted to take the R1200RT off the center stand. The center stand was sitting on top of the Park N Move dolly. As it came of the center stand, the R1200RT started leaning away from me, I was stand on the left of the bike, and I was not able to save it and it fell on its right side, scratching the engine valve cover and right side case. What I have noticed on multiple times of putting on center stand and taking off, the R1200RT always wants to lean right. In fact when I push down on the center stand so that it just touches the ground and get ready to stand on the lever, the bike is already tilting/leaning towards the right, ie away from me. Is there something wrong with my center stand or the bike?

I also ride a Suzuki Burgman 400, and never had any issues. Especially this leaning to the right issue while trying to put it on the center stand.
    2010 R1200RT
    2007 Burgman 400
    Sargent Low Heated Driver Seat

Quote Originally Posted by etiennelau View Post
    So the other day I attempted to take the R1200RT off the center stand. The center stand was sitting on top of the Park N Move dolly. As it came of the center stand, the R1200RT started leaning away from me, I was stand on the left of the bike, and I was not able to save it and it fell on its right side, scratching the engine valve cover and right side case. What I have noticed on multiple times of putting on center stand and taking off, the R1200RT always wants to lean right. In fact when I push down on the center stand so that it just touches the ground and get ready to stand on the lever, the bike is already tilting/leaning towards the right, ie away from me. Is there something wrong with my center stand or the bike?

I also ride a Suzuki Burgman 400, and never had any issues. Especially this leaning to the right issue while trying to put it on the center stand.
    It helps to pull up the bike on center stand on the Park N Move if you place two pieces of 3/4 plywood, or rubber mats under the wheels.
    Place the mats on the floor properly spaced, roll the bike on then push the Park... under.

temesvar

I do that already when trying to get it onto the Park N Move. It just scares me to use the center stand now at this point, with and without the Park N Move, due to the leaning/tilting to the right. I am used to the the Burgman being flat when trying to get onto center stand, and therefore very concerned now that the R1200RT and/or the center stand is not working properly as the bike is not level until it is fully lifted onto center stand. I will try and take pictures/videos then next time I try to get it up onto the center stand to see if it is just my visual perception or there is physically something wrong.
    2010 R1200RT
    2007 Burgman 400
    Sargent Low Heated Driver Seat

Have you looked at the bolts that are the center stand pivots? They haven't been discussed much lately, but I recall there once was some discussion about the bolts loosening or shearing off.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

I don't know if it is what you encountered, but if the center stand and the park and move are not correctly aligned, the tang (is that what you call the part you stand on?) on the center stand will foul the wheel bracket on the park and move.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

Put the bike on the centerstand on a level floor - not the park and move gizmo - and then check the rear wheel for plumb with a level. That will tell you for sure whether the bike leans right on the centerstand with no need to guess.

Lacking an accurate level, measure very carefully from the floor to the center of either the swing arm or paralever pivots.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 10-21-2016 at 02:36 PM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Something a shop owner taught me - as he moved dozens of bikes out and into his shop every morning and evening. WHENEVER taking a bike off the centerstand, or walking it around - put the sidestand down first. If it feels like it's getting away from you - pull it toward you onto the sidestand. If you're on sloping ground - put it in gear and use the clutch as a brake.

Easy..
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

i never take a bike off the center stand....unless I am on the bike. far more control.
    Marshall
    94K75s

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    For many of us it is not possible to touch the ground if the bike is on the centre stand. How is that done safely?
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)

Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo

Quote Originally Posted by mlytle View Post
    i never take a bike off the center stand....unless I am on the bike. far more control.
    Can you be more specific? I don't get your point. Did you mean side instead or center stand?

Quote Originally Posted by etiennelau View Post
    temesvar

I do that already when trying to get it onto the Park N Move. It just scares me to use the center stand now at this point, with and without the Park N Move, due to the leaning/tilting to the right. I am used to the the Burgman being flat when trying to get onto center stand, and therefore very concerned now that the R1200RT and/or the center stand is not working properly as the bike is not level until it is fully lifted onto center stand. I will try and take pictures/videos then next time I try to get it up onto the center stand to see if it is just my visual perception or there is physically something wrong.
    There is a good chance that the right side bolt that holds the stand is broken, or may be missing all together! Have it on side stand, and
    try to move it.

Quote Originally Posted by mlytle View Post
    I also sit on the bike when taking it off the centerstand.
    If the bike happens to tip left or right it's easy to catch with my legs.
    It helps if you have long legs.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    If the bike happens to tip left or right it's easy to catch with my legs.
    It helps if you have long legs.
    +1
    Daniel
    If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
    R1200RT 2007 - IBA # 56396

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I should say I straddle the bike when taking it off the centerstand.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    WHENEVER taking a bike off the centerstand, or walking it around - put the sidestand down first...
    +1. Then straddle it when moving it.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."