• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2002 R1150R - Steering Head Bolt Size?

shropdog

Anyone have any idea what the bolt / threading size is on the relatively large steering head bolt on a '02 R1150R? I need to clean both the male and female threads up and need to know what size tap / die I need. The BMW part # is 31 422 314 1 31 but the sizing info is not listed on the fische. Thanks for your help!

Is it fine thread or ?

Paul ( similarly situated)

18mm x 1.5 means a diameter of 18mm and a thread pitch of 1.5. Course or fine thread are word descriptors but a pitch of 1.5 means the distance from one thread to the next is 1.5mm.

I am not used to looking at 18mm diameter fasteners. I know that at 8mm 1.5 would be course and 1.0 would be fine, but have no real idea at 18mm.

I find it complicated-

This example may help-

What does M8 1.25 mean?
For metric fasteners, you will see a M8 x 1.25 or an M8 x 1. For thread pitch, the distance between two points is the second number meaning the higher the number the fewer threads there are. This means the M8 x 1.25 is the coarse threading and the M8 x 1 is the fine thread.

Metrically threadrically challenged OM

When you get to large dies they can get pricy a real handy solution to your issue is a metric thread file. I googled for one Amazon lists one with 1.0, 1.25, 1.5 and 2.0 for about $15.00. These work great for cleaning threads, especially on points where you can’t access a die.

Back