• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New 310 G series bikes to be manufactured in India

I actually owned an Oldsmobile Omega, the Cavalier in sheeps clothing. How I bought it was interesting. It was over in the far row. I casually asked about it. The salesman said, "Oh nobody wants that. It has a stick shift. Nobody wants a stick shift Oldsmobile. We would almost give it away, or something to that effect. Pounce! :)

At my local Buick dealer, they received a light blue Skylark that was kinda pretty on the outside. Inside, the interior was dark blue, but all the "badging" said Oldsmobile...........:)

Must have been a very bad morning on the line after a really long and late weekend.

I actually owned an Oldsmobile Omega, the Cavalier in sheeps clothing.

Something about that wasn't right.............

The Omega was the Oldsmobile version of the final non-Toyota Nova. The Oldsmobile version of the Cavalier was the Firenza.

What the heck was the Oldsmobile version of the Monza?

Something about that wasn't right.............

The Omega was the Oldsmobile version of the final non-Toyota Nova. The Oldsmobile version of the Cavalier was the Firenza.

What the heck was the Oldsmobile version of the Monza?

I did mis-speak slightly. My stick-shift Omega was the Oldsmobile version of the Chevy Citation on the X Car platform. It was a 1984 model if I remember correctly.

I did mis-speak slightly. My stick-shift Omega was the Oldsmobile version of the Chevy Citation on the X Car platform. It was a 1984 model if I remember correctly.

It might sound strange today, but the Chevy Citation was a ground breaking car for the US manufacturers when I was in college. The follow-on A-body platform was my first car with a functional heater and A/C.

I am anxious to read more about the engine. The layout intrigues me along with claimed ability to deal with fuel quality differences found in the various world markets they hope to open up with this bike.

I am anxious to read more about the engine. The layout intrigues me along with claimed ability to deal with fuel quality differences found in the various world markets they hope to open up with this bike.

Compression ratio (10.5:1) of an air cooled engine in a water cooled design. The current R1200R/RS LC, which I assume is similar to the RT and GS variants, are running 12.5:1 compression ratios

The Orange guys are running 12.6:1 as well. Downside is premium and sometimes that is even hard to find in this country when you need it. I was surprised the 390 also preferred premo until I saw the ratio.

Having ability to run lower octane is not a bad thing when you leave Starbucks in the mirror:D

Also wish the tanks on these two brands bikes were just a bit larger by enough to average 200 without freaking out at 189. It's easier than you think to not run across any fuel in under 200 miles.

2.9 gets you this...close to twice in the Ozarks:doh Not even 180 on our fuel exploratory ride and 183 would have gotten us fuel.

IMG_0129.jpg

Last edited:
Also wish the tanks on these two brands bikes were just a bit larger by enough to average 200 without freaking out at 189. It's easier than you think to not run across any fuel in under 200 miles.

2.9 gets you this...close to twice in the Ozarks:doh Not even 180 on our fuel exploratory ride and 183 would have gotten us fuel.

View attachment 58872

If they ever want to make people think about motorcycles as a replacement for cars they should stop making us be gas station mavens every 175 miles.

A less expensive proposition to big tanks is to do the design for the big tanks and share it with the aftermarket.

Just sayin.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI

The Orange guys are running 12.6:1 as well. Downside is premium and sometimes that is even hard to find in this country when you need it. I was surprised the 390 also preferred premo until I saw the ratio.

Having ability to run lower octane is not a bad thing when you leave Starbucks in the mirror:D

View attachment 58872

Clarke may have you covered- https://clarkemfg.com/tanks/

1468.jpg

I have one for the TW200.

OM

View attachment 58872

According to one website, BMW is recommending 95 RON (~90 AKI) for the G310R. So, I can only assume the BMW concept of 3rd gasoline is some mixture of Hydrocarbons with a high octane rating. I would have guessed dirty low test cut with kerosene. Like the old gas we used to dump in the John Deere B

Clarke may have you covered- https://clarkemfg.com/tanks/

1468.jpg

I have one for the TW200.

OM

Nothing yet for the Dukes, so a MSR bottle in a tube may find a spot. We had used several small gas stops in the past in the Ozarks...most closed in last few years.
The 690 has a larger tank and can make 200 with no worries.
It's a topic on the orange guy forum how style won over function on the baby Duke.

Nothing yet for the Dukes, so a MSR bottle in a tube may find a spot. We had used several small gas stops in the past in the Ozarks...most closed in last few years.
The 690 has a larger tank and can make 200 with no worries.
It's a topic on the orange guy forum how style won over function on the baby Duke.

I also have two tubes with fuel bottles on the TW200. Works well.
OM

I also have two tubes with fuel bottles on the TW200. Works well.
OM

I have two tubes with bottles on my VStrom. And I have a 3.5 gallon fuel cell on my R1150R. My late great K75, Old Smokey, had an 8.5 gallon tank. Voni has never run out of gas on a bike (or a car) that I know of. I have only done so once, first tank on a Bun Burner Gold (1500 miles in 24 hours) attempt. I almost did one other time, riding with Voni and Jim Shaw in Colorado, but when the station I was just sure was there wasn't, I borrowed about 1/2 gallon from Voni's bike, which made her sure that she would then run out. But she didn't and I didn't and we made up later. :)

I have two tubes with bottles on my VStrom. And I have a 3.5 gallon fuel cell on my R1150R. My late great K75, Old Smokey, had an 8.5 gallon tank. Voni has never run out of gas on a bike (or a car) that I know of. I have only done so once, first tank on a Bun Burner Gold (1500 miles in 24 hours) attempt. I almost did one other time, riding with Voni and Jim Shaw in Colorado, but when the station I was just sure was there wasn't, I borrowed about 1/2 gallon from Voni's bike, which made her sure that she would then run out. But she didn't and I didn't and we made up later. :)

I have one of these on a shelf, but don't think H would be on board for her lil'bike:ha The tube combo should do it

sum-290101_ml.jpeg

Fuel range is pretty important for a large group of riders, 2.9 gal doesn't get it done.

And Paul, you forget the newly picked up tablet/kindle run into Alpine? Recall Someone not fueling up

happens:whistle

And Paul, you forget the newly picked up tablet/kindle run into Alpine? Recall Someone not fueling up happens:whistle

Oh the pain. My mind totally blocked that incident. Voni does not consider that "her" running out of gas. She considers it "me" running out of gas on her bike, while she was riding it. Oh, the shame.

Back