Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New 310 G series bikes to be manufactured in India

New 310 G series bikes to be manufactured in India

Has anyone put together a fly and ride program to bring the first bikes made back to the USA?

Quote Originally Posted by DARKCLOUD View Post
    Has anyone put together a fly and ride program to bring the first bikes made back to the USA?
    Those interested probably decided to wait at the dock in New Jersey and fly from there. But, is there/will there be a problem with bikes because they're built in India?
    MOA #46783

KTM is ahead of the curve on their 300cc + built in India shipped to NA models by two years...why would there be issues?

KTM_390_Duke_Bike_Review_26-11.jpg

normal_1.jpeg

And if the G310 is anywhere close to the fun factor of the Duke 390, it should be a big seller

And lifted from BR&TMR from mika from this mornings post

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...ess-than-5000/
    Last edited by henzilla; 10-18-2016 at 10:08 PM. Reason: fixd spelin
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

There could be issues...no more than typical, but hopefully less.
    MOA #46783

Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    There could be issues...no more than typical, but hopefully less.
    The QC issue will be the responsibility of BMW. It will be interesting.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    KTM is ahead of the curve on their 300cc + built in India shipped to NA models by two years...why would their be issues?

And if the G310 is anywhere close to the fun factor of the Duke 390, it should be a big seller

And lifted from BR&TMR from mika from this mornings post

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...ess-than-5000/
    For now, KTM is ahead of the curve on the India to the US/EU curve in part due to BMW’s get off with Husqvarna and their below 500cc plan of EU to US/India. Indian tariffs killed that plan and is a major under-studied story. Bajaj began the push to Europe from India and in the process has eaten more and more of KTM. Bajaj/KTM AG picked up Husqvarna from BMW because it was a sweet deal it could fit into its plan because it was in Italy and could take advantage of joint venture products to aid both. What some brain in BMW AG didn’t realize the start line for this type of bike is in India not Italy. The joint venture with TVS Motor Company BMW is getting back into this race.

At one point, Suzuki had an ownership stake in TVS as part of its Indian efforts. TVS broke that off and struck out on its own. Like most breakups the hows and whys take different tones depending on which side of the deal you view it from. The consistent part in any of them is TVS saw a chance to grow on its own after it had learned what it could from a major UJM compan. BMW and TVS are in the early stages of a joint venture in development and production. No ownership stake is involved.

QC is an ongoing concern for any company. In the case of this motorcycle it is a concern for both TVS and BMW. The G310R and related variants will be badged as TVS motorcycles in India and BMW’s everywhere else in the world. Where US G310R will come from is not clear. They may be shipped to BMW’s Manaus Brazil assembly plant as CKD bikes, assembled for dealer prep there and then on to the US and elsewhere.

TVS has a new Apache model coming out. Apache in India, it may be a G310RR. I found this comparison to a Bajaj VS400, the Indian version of a KTM 390. Here is the comparison article.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

I bought a KTM 390 Duke this spring. The quality is good and the bike is a gas to ride.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

Quote Originally Posted by Anyname View Post
    I bought a KTM 390 Duke this spring. The quality is good and the bike is a gas to ride.
    Not any complaints as well on our 390 , second owners and still looks well made...and def a fun ride . Really think once ridden, the 310 will be a surprise performer as well. If folks can get their heads around a small displacement bike. Took me one ride, it's stance is tighter than the 690 but not ride denying small.
    But in perspective, my workhorse GSA seems monstrous now like a old sofa.

QC issues abound globally, nothing new for BMW , just another country in the mix. The G650 engines from China come to mind. Don't hear about issues on them often.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    QC issues abound globally, nothing new for BMW , just another country in the mix. The G650 engines from China come to mind. Don't hear about issues on them often.
    As long as the product is priced according to the fabrication costs, it's a fair deal. Will I pay more the BMW product from India than some other brand from India, that's an open question. If both bikes perform similarly, they lower cost one would be the rational choice.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    As long as the product is priced according to the fabrication costs, it's a fair deal. Will I pay more the BMW product from India than some other brand from India, that's an open question. If both bikes perform similarly, they lower cost one would be the rational choice.
    Have you ridden a Royal Enfield lately?

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    +1 Their cafe is a very nice ride.

No I haven't. Why do you ask?

Quote Originally Posted by GotFog View Post
    No I haven't. Why do you ask?
    I took it as more of a rhetorical question. The underlying point, at least for me, is for years Royal Enfield has been seen as an example of much that was wrong with quality in sub 500cc motorcycle from India. In recent years it has gone through a major rebuild of the organization. Now, the quality and the presentation of their product is on a world market level.

I wasn't implying anything mika.
    I trully wanted more clarification nothing more. I profess ignorance on the Enfield. I find it interesting how quality, whether perceived or real, seems to wander and occasionally pop up where you wouldn't expect it. I was reading an entirely differant subject today where the author made the connection between quality of goods to interest rates, and part of a broader economic cycle. The struggle for both profit margins and quality always rages. I find it interesting.

If these new products are on-par with the India-sourced BMW for build quality, then you would have to select based on price, in my opinion.