Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Temps up down up down

Temps up down up down

New GS ('16) with 417 miles. Take off for Grand Rapids, MI this morning for first service...I changed the fluids and filter, they look at it and write in the book "service completed". Anyway, head out on interstate doing 60 MPH for a mile through construction zone (light traffic, a steady pace) and engine temp continues beyond normal 182 to 184 degrees to 205 degrees and then abruptly drops to 170 degrees. It does this over and over for 100 miles and then limits itself to bouncing between 180 and 189 degrees for next 60 miles. Arrive at dealer now with 580 miles on odo...tell service writer...he says that's normal. I say it didn't do that the first 417 miles...but he sticks to it's just the thermostat trying to find best level.... No codes...What do you think?
    '17 RT
    MOA #46783

That's the thermostat. Fully air cooled engine would have been a lot worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    New GS ('16) with 417 miles. Take off for Grand Rapids, MI this morning for first service...I changed the fluids and filter, they look at it and write in the book "service completed". Anyway, head out on interstate doing 60 MPH for a mile through construction zone (light traffic, a steady pace) and engine temp continues beyond normal 182 to 184 degrees to 205 degrees and then abruptly drops to 170 degrees. It does this over and over for 100 miles and then limits itself to bouncing between 180 and 189 degrees for next 60 miles. Arrive at dealer now with 580 miles on odo...tell service writer...he says that's normal. I say it didn't do that the first 417 miles...but he sticks to it's just the thermostat trying to find best level.... No codes...What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by kosta15auto View Post
    That's the thermostat. Fully air cooled engine would have been a lot worse.
    But why would thermostat become so erratic all of a sudden. The first 400 miles had it pretty well planted at 184 degrees with highway riding. And now a swing of 170 to 200 to 175 to 189 and on...in a matter of one minute at constant speed in 55 degree weather, over and over for miles? Have to agree it is the thermostat, but not because it's looking for proper temp, but because it is going wacko.
    '17 RT
    MOA #46783

You said you changed the fluids.... so I'd guess initially you had air in the cooling system after refilling. Did you recheck the coolant level recently? Now it may be low.
    2015 GSA

Quote Originally Posted by craigjv4 View Post
    You said you changed the fluids.... so I'd guess initially you had air in the cooling system after refilling. Did you recheck the coolant level recently? Now it may be low.
    "Fluids is crankcase and final drive....didn't change coolant at 600 miles...hopefully it will last much longer than that.
    '17 RT
    MOA #46783

"Fluids is crankcase and final drive....didn't change coolant at 600 miles...hopefully it will last much longer than that.
    Check the level anyway. Those kinds of temperature swings sound like air bubbles passing the temp sensor.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    Not having a diagram of the system available, just asking if there might be a high-point vent plug on the cooling system? I've seen that on numerous Japanese liquid-cooled bikes, as well as on liquid-cooled 4-wheelers and snowmobiles.
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, WI Airmarshal
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Check the level anyway. Those kinds of temperature swings sound like air bubbles passing the temp sensor.
    And that's what I thought and said when I told the BMW service writer and what hopefully he told his Certified BMW mechanic before he went over the bike and signed off on the 600 mile "run in" check. But they apparently came to the conclusion this "is normal"...so will ride a while longer before worrying about it again. "YOU KNOW, THEY ALL DO THAT"...as taught in the Certification Class of BMW University.
    '17 RT
    MOA #46783

I wouldn't be so quick to accept "they all do that" when it could be "they all do that when they have air trapped in the system." A coolant drain and refill, using a vacuum filler, should not be a difficult or expensive proposition. And with only a few hundred miles on the coolant I'd drain carefully into a clean container and re-use it. If the original dealer won't work with you on it then try a second opinion from another dealer.

Good luck,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST 1984 R80 G/S-PD 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C 2010 K1300GT 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    I wouldn't be so quick to accept "they all do that" when it could be "they all do that when they have air trapped in the system." A coolant drain and refill, using a vacuum filler, should not be a difficult or expensive proposition. And with only a few hundred miles on the coolant I'd drain carefully into a clean container and re-use it. If the original dealer won't work with you on it then try a second opinion from another dealer.

Good luck,
    DG

I'm with you...I don't accept the fact they all do that. So far have had one individual post his has similar experience...we'll see. Sure it did same thing for mechanic who road tested it, but they say they see it often...they are a well thought of dealer/service shop.

Interesting that this bike was built in 12/2015 and came with the older part number oil filter (which others have stated happened to them)...glad I had an old and newer filter wrench. Plus, I bleed the brakes yesterday since fluid was almost a year old at delivery. This specific Red GS apparently wasn't sought after as it sat...I had them switch out for wire wheels, chrome exhaust and added aux lights before I purchased...perhaps if it had those prior it would have sold earlier....who knows.
    '17 RT
    MOA #46783

I have no dog in this fight. My RT does not have a digital temp display, just the gauge.

On my 2013 FJR it had a digital readout and it did exactly the same thing. It was a common discussion on the FJR boards. It was normal for the FJR.
    Ed Kruse
    '16 R1200RT Ebony
    Naples FL
    "Just Kruse'n"

Doesn't sound like a big deal to me.

Display the outside temperature, instead of the engine temp.

Harry

Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    Those are the classic signs of an air-lock in the cooling system.

Tell them that you want to ride one of their R1200xxW demo bikes so you can experience it doing the same thing, because your bike is reacting more like the thermostat can't find any level rather than simply trying to find it's best level and a properly working thermostat has a sufficient opening to closing window that it does not cycle on while riding 60 mph at a fairly steady pace. The demo bike should help determine things better for you as it is your sense of what is normal, etc.

The temperature dropping from 205 to 170 is likely the cooling fan coming on, but I can't recall at what temperature that happens on these engines.
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS
    Current: 2019 R1250RT/'06 Ducati ST3s/'06 Vespa GTS 250ie/'91 R100GS/'86 R80RT/'83 R100RS/'76 R90/6/'75 R90S/'73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '14 R1200RT/'04 R1150RT/'81 Honda GL1100/'77 Suzuki GS750/'73 Norton 850 Commando

Quote Originally Posted by AlanColes View Post
    Those are the classic signs of an air-lock in the cooling system.

Tell them that you want to ride one of their R1200xxW demo bikes so you can experience it doing the same thing, because your bike is reacting more like the thermostat can't find any level rather than simply trying to find it's best level and a properly working thermostat has a sufficient opening to closing window that it does not cycle on while riding 60 mph at a fairly steady pace. The demo bike should help determine things better for you as it is your sense of what is normal, etc.

The temperature dropping from 205 to 170 is likely the cooling fan coming on, but I can't recall at what temperature that happens on these engines.

It wasn't the cooling fan coming on...moving through air at 60 MPH, at a steady pace, in 6th gear, at 55 degrees....it went degree by degree from 170 to 200+ in seconds and then back down to 170 in seconds and then bounced back and forth for the next 160 miles. Prior to that morning it ran at a constant 182 to 184 degrees under like conditions. Nothing had been open/closed or changed with coolant system. Not sure how air would have been introduced into system to create this. My sense of what is normal was how the temp readout acted during first 417 miles of the bike's life....which was quite normal and expected. It is a strange case no doubt...will get it addressed in time.
    '17 RT
    MOA #46783

Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    It wasn't the cooling fan coming on...moving through air at 60 MPH, at a steady pace, in 6th gear, at 55 degrees....it went degree by degree from 170 to 200+ in seconds and then back down to 170 in seconds and then bounced back and forth for the next 160 miles...
    That is strange, and not to my way of thinking normal at all. At a steady pace of 60 mph in 55F weather I'd think you should be running between 180-190F~.

Did some digging and it appears that the fan comes on at 212F and goes off at 203F. On the old K bikes of the early 90's the K75 fan came on at 217F, thermostat opened at 185F, don't know what the T-stat opens at on the new engine, but that is also a possibility to keep in mind, a faulty T-stat.

Regarding what is normal, I know we can't go by BMW marketing, but they do say something different than your service department:
    An electric fan behind the right-hand radiator is automatically activated as needed, controlled by the thermostat for example at high outdoor temperatures in city traffic.
    http://www.bmw-motorrad.ca/ca/en/ind...html&notrack=1
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS
    Current: 2019 R1250RT/'06 Ducati ST3s/'06 Vespa GTS 250ie/'91 R100GS/'86 R80RT/'83 R100RS/'76 R90/6/'75 R90S/'73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '14 R1200RT/'04 R1150RT/'81 Honda GL1100/'77 Suzuki GS750/'73 Norton 850 Commando